> The 6GC Nerds Thread, For anyone that considers themselves a 'nerd'
post Jul 29, 2019 - 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Desktop no bueno with fibro because of bleh computer chairs. That's ok, Dragon Age Inquisition with all the expansions was on super sale for like $12 in the Playstation Store so just got that since it was one I had been looking into as well. Fallout 4 will happen when it happens I suppose.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 29, 2019 - 11:00 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 29, 2019 - 10:19 PM) *
Desktop no bueno with fibro because of bleh computer chairs. That's ok, Dragon Age Inquisition with all the expansions was on super sale for like $12 in the Playstation Store so just got that since it was one I had been looking into as well. Fallout 4 will happen when it happens I suppose.

So how do you use a laptop? Do you just hover in the fetal position in mid air?

--------------------
post Jul 30, 2019 - 2:34 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Recliner, that way I'm not putting any pressure on myself anywhere like a computer chair that's killing me in 5-10 minutes. I've thought about turning a car seat into a computer chair, but would need a welder and stuff to make it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 30, 2019 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oh yeah and in typical games with character creation fashion it took me a good 2 hours to make my character in Dragon Age. laugh.gif I've gotten pretty good at putting myself into games since she looks just like my character in Monster Hunter which looks like one of my characters in Skyrim which looks like me. I swear I'm not being vain, if anything I think it helps me better accept myself in a way by seeing a woman that looks just like me and is treated as such at all times within the game(s). That and it's reassuring in a way that I can get the female characters a lot closer to me than I can the male ones, so that also helps in a way and makes me feel better. Silly I guess.

Speaking of such, apparently in Fallout 4 you're forced into a heterosexual relationship. BOOOOOOOOOO.... Oh well, I guess I'll make the male character as pretty as possible and name him Ashley or something only for him to die 10-15 minutes later. Which I'm not averted to being with a male so long as they're feminine, but those are so few and far between in the real world. In Japanese media they're everywhere though, damn you Japan and your obsession with pretty males! laugh.gif

Kuja really looks gorgeous, I mean glorious, in the new Dissidia.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 30, 2019 - 5:22 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

They make things that mount the monitor non an arm and hold a keyboard and mouse so you can game reclined.

--------------------
post Jul 30, 2019 - 8:10 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmmm, may have to look into that then. Especially if that and a complete tower could be gotten for less than a comparable laptop. Already have a LCD monitor, though it's only 19" and a wireless mouse and keyboard so would just need the tower. Though as of now all of the games I want for the most part are on some iteration of console or mobile.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 30, 2019 - 8:34 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 30, 2019 - 8:10 PM) *
Hmmm, may have to look into that then. Especially if that and a complete tower could be gotten for less than a comparable laptop. Already have a LCD monitor, though it's only 19" and a wireless mouse and keyboard so would just need the tower. Though as of now all of the games I want for the most part are on some iteration of console or mobile.

Just presenting options, the nice thing about a desktop PC is that you can toss in new parts here and there to keep it's performance inline with your needs. Used parts can be scored cheaply from time to time if you're patient.

A VESA mount arm for the monitor would let you position it where you want, like hovering over you.
https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Mount-Stand-...g/dp/B078455485 as an example, that could be mounted to the side of the recliner on a base of some kind as simple or elaborate as you wanted.

An articulating keyboard and mouse platform https://www.amazon.com/AVLT-Power-Premium-A...r/dp/B07PYDRQDV could allow you to swing them over your lap while in the chair.

They actually do make workstations with all this built in already, but they're quite expensive. You could probably get close for much cheaper, I'm sure once you start poking around you'll find something to make it work if you want. A laptop with a midrange GPU like a GTX 960M starts at $500 on the used market and you're locked into what you get with it, you can upgrade and add some more RAM or a larger SSD but for the most part all laptops now feature soldered CPU's and while some may use a GPU on a riser card often the BIOS simply won't accept a different GPU card being installed, and if it's even possible to swap in a better MXM GPU card they're prohibitively expensive. a GTX 1060 MXM card is $350-$400, a desktop GTX 1060 is in the $200-250 range and can be scored lower sometimes.

--------------------
post Jul 31, 2019 - 3:19 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I would say maybe after selling the Firebird and getting a Miata, but then all resources and time will be going to that. Maybe after that and HRT finalizing I can get my life half ass sorted for once, and then I can buy some super duper gaming pc to under utilize.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 31, 2019 - 7:30 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Doesn't have to be super duper, a budget build would play the games you want to play plenty fine. $400-500 would build a pretty good mid range PC for gaming at 1080P Ultra or 1440P High settings at 60fps in most games from the past few years. It's about picking parts with the most value.

i5 4590 $65
16GB ddr3 $70
Z87 board $90
RX 580 8GB $120
$550W PSU $75
Case $50
Fans $40 (good fans are great)
That's an under $500 build, roughly using current eBay pricing, that would play a lot of games. I'm sure there's more recent hardware that would be even better, I'm just kind of mimicking one of my slapdash builds that I slowly parted together over a year.

And you can put purple lights inside it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oQsggzUO1Q
Light changes brightness in response to CPU temp, but this LED has a pretty piss poor voltage range. I need a better one that'll light at lower voltages to actually do the effect properly.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jul 31, 2019 - 7:36 PM

--------------------
post Jul 31, 2019 - 10:08 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I do like purple. That's how you market things to me, make them purple. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 13, 2019 - 7:08 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oh yeah, ended up buying Fallout 4 GOTY anyway on the last day of the sale since apparently Bethesda doesn't like to drop pricing on their games ever...

Anyway... So you can't name the spouse you aren't playing as, so that's disappointing, but I made him as pretty as possible before he was killed by the kidnappers. Vengeance will be mine with my future lesbian partner. That's ok, trying to get used to the whole game play itself as well as the stats and perks system. Already kinda messed things up despite looking into things prior since I wasn't entirely sure on the play style I'd like. Meh, suppose with enough levels it'll all work out anyway. I do know I like VATS, since I'm mediocre at best with FPS games and it allows a somewhat tactical approach to an otherwise FPS RPG game thing. Sure there's melee weapons, but I don't see how that'd really work effectively when everyone else has guns or is a giant monster of sorts. Maybe I'll actually warm up to Fallout this time around, it helps that the environment isn't overwhelmingly depressing(except for the Glowing Sea) in terms of colour and lighting. I must have SADD, because I couldn't play Fallout 3 with everything being dark and muted greenish grey.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 13, 2019 - 11:11 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So far so good on FO4, have actually been able to get into it for the most part. I think it also helps that you can have a companion around, even though it's just an AI companion but it's nice to "not be alone" and have someone to have your back(more like take aggro, but hey...) as well as their being no shortage of supplies with all the friendly settlements around and loot aplenty when questing/adventuring.

ANYWAY, the real reason I'm here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtnfYYlvCVA
Which I was sorta excited with the announcement trailer, but this one really cements it showing off more of the characters and story. I think what impresses me most is how they're able to portray emotions in character's faces, especially on Cloud who in the original game seems indifferent between the text and then often misplaced shrugging. When he sees Aerith at the Golden Saucer and then at the end of the trailer after the Sector 7 plate has fallen really shows what I'm talking about, moments in the original game were awkwardly texted and shrugged...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 14, 2019 - 12:35 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Well...that just looked like a bunch of random things in CGI but I know nothing about Final Fantasy.

--------------------
post Sep 14, 2019 - 3:20 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's a little random, and things are quite different than the original game so even for me it took a second with all the things that're new. So many story changes(more so expansions on preexisting elements) though, so it's exciting that they're making such an effort to fill in the blanks of the original game. Most importantly is the squatting mini game making a return. laugh.gif People were worried about them cutting all the mini games since that's such a 90's JRPG thing, but they've even added some like darts and pull-ups just off that trailer. I'm looking forward to it.

Oh, and in other news apparently Poison was added into Street Fighter V in August so that's exciting since she's the only trans video game character I know of: https://streetfighter.com/characters/poison/ Though it's annoying seeing all the transphobes saying how "she's retconned to a cis girl" but her story dialogue heavily alludes to gender dysphoria and then the game itself doesn't disclose her sex like it does for all the other characters. Of course these days Capcom likes to keep it slightly ambiguous, but in the past she was clearly labeled as being trans in her first debut as well as consequent releases which the transphobes love to ignore of course. It actually pisses me off since they're like "what's the big deal if she's trans anyway" when it's a very big deal to trans people, just because they don't want to admit they think a trans girl is attractive so they need her to be cis to protect their delicate manhood. It's like, gah there're plenty of cis girls already out there for you to have the hots for so if you don't like her being trans or the fact you think a trans girl is hot then just off yourself... This is why I hate most cis men by the way, not so much that specifically but that general way of thinking...

This post has been edited by Box: Sep 14, 2019 - 3:28 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 14, 2019 - 5:29 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Not to stir the pot but FTM is really lacking representation in media. MTF is all over the place because I guess straight douches just can't handle it the other way around that maybe just maybe not everything centers around them and their dicks.

--------------------
post Sep 14, 2019 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Sep 14, 2019 - 5:29 PM) *
Not to stir the pot but FTM is really lacking representation in media. MTF is all over the place because I guess straight douches just can't handle it the other way around that maybe just maybe not everything centers around them and their dicks.

Oh I totally agree, and I think part of that is because in a way it's more socially acceptable to be FtM as opposed to MtF. Since MtF undermines the whole "male superiority" ruse that those delusional fools live by, but then FtM "proves" it so they're more tolerant. I have started seeing more FtM outside of the mainstream though, so it's a start. I'd love to see more LGBTQ in general portrayed in a positive light in mainstream media, and maybe some day soon we'll get there. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but they can at least respect it enough to be a decent human being. It's sad that this song is more relevant than ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGnX-MbYE4

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 11, 2019 - 9:14 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oh it happened while the forum was down, but on the lines of FtM in media... I was finishing up Dragon Age Inquisition and one of the minor NPCs is a trans man, which I thought was pretty cool and especially since he's portrayed in a good way. Which you have responses ranging from nice to rude, and I was nice of course, but I wish there had been some kind of "Me too" or "I know how you feel" option. It's nice that they did that and are trying to expose people in a positive way(and after watching videos on YouTube afterwards, aren't afraid to tell you you're wrong if you pick the ruder dialogue), but it's like they didn't think that maybe somebody trans would be playing. When he talked about being a kid looking in the mirror hating himself and hating how he was dressed it really hit me in the feels.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 11, 2019 - 9:30 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

That's pretty awesome and that's why I think that including a wide variety of character types can be very important.

--------------------
post Oct 11, 2019 - 11:04 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yush!!! Which allegedly Cyberpunk 2077 will have a non-binary character creator and your character is just referred to by name, if true that'd be nice. Spose will see as it gets closer to release.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 3, 2019 - 8:23 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Here is a question/ problem for you...
So recently got a new phone a Google Pixel 3a but it seems that it has a known issue with 4G connection. It will drop 4G data connection even though there is at least half bars. The only way to get data/ internet connection back is to turn airplane mode on & off again. That will fix it for a bit then happens again. Old phone did not have this problem. Thinking it's a phone and/ or a software, hardware (whatever you want to call it) issue.
Here are some links to the issue...
Link #1
Link #2
Those are just some of the most relevant links. According to others, new phones didn't fix the issue. I've tried every option that I know of & researched.

I'm going to switch out the phone maybe this weekend if I can't get this issue resolved. BTW on Sprint network.

This post has been edited by navseal345: Dec 3, 2019 - 8:24 AM

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:56 AM