> Camry V6 Swap, Roofless V6
post May 12, 2012 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
TimmKitts

Enthusiast

Joined May 12, '12
From Knoxville
Currently Offline

I have a '96 Convertible. I am trying to put a V6 in it this week. I am assuming that the easiest swap would be to put a V6 from a Camry in it. However,I could be wrong. I think the biggest hurdle will be the wiring ,CPU and such. Does anybody have any better info on this project for me? PLEASE
post May 12, 2012 - 7:03 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

hi welcome to the site, search engine will be your best tool. There are several v6 swaps out there. there are several members. Look into the project section.

several options, its not an easy task.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=73956

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 12, 2012 - 7:22 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The easiest swap for your vert by far is the 3S-GE BEAMS Redtop, followed by the 3rd gen 3S-GTE. However, V6 swaps are starting to catch on. Check out this thread for a 1MZ-FE swap and this thread for a 3VZ-FE swap. Wiring isn't easy and isn't for amateurs. Welcome to the site and good luck!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post May 12, 2012 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

If your going to do a v6 swap you the easiest one would be a 3vz out of a 92-93 camry
It wiring is simpler than a 1mz wiring
But if you want to do a 1mz going to want to get a basically the whole front clip from a 97 camry
an the full intake off a 96
The. Big items you want are the engine. Wiring harness,ecu,an maf from a 97 an the intake from a 96 1mz
Youll also want to find a 3vz flywheel an if you deside to stick with the stock s54. Call south bend an tell them you need a clutch for a v6 swap in a mr2 using the stock n/a trans

If you look at my build thrrad youll get a good idea of what youll need
Trust me a v6 is not a weekend swap

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post May 13, 2012 - 12:18 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

+1 on the southbend clutch, and this is definitely NOT a weekend project. i have been working on mine for months and the engine still isnt in the car. i highly suggest tearing down the engine and checking all the components, replacing all the ring and bearings and gaskets. when i tore down my 3MZ, i discovered 4 rods with busted bushings. and the engine before that had over heated so bad that it melted the knock sensors on top and melted 3 pistons.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post May 14, 2012 - 9:24 AM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

a weekend swap is another 5sfe,,, and if youre lucky a beams will be to if you get the redtop and clip from a celica,,, otherwise set aside much longer

easiest swaps in order would be...

5sfe (staright swap.. its the same engine as you have..)
beams (from an st202..)
3sgte (from an ST205..)
3vzfe (requires good wiring skills and schematic readinf skills)
1mzfe(same as 3vz, but more so)

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

1994 GT: V6 swap, 5speed E53 W/ LSD, All Power, now RED
1995 ST: SOLD @273k miles, Auto, all power, CarPC, White
1994 ST: Totaled, 5spd, all power, Red RIP 07/09/09 @ 241,810
1994 Lexus LS400: This is my new DD

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:10 PM