6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> how to swap a 2grfe V6 into a st204, Toyota reliability, with less moving parts than a turbo
post Aug 12, 2014 - 4:24 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Will start an official thread, into this. wont go into detail. Will keep it mostly informative, because i know this will not be a favorite swap for most, and will be cost prohibitive for many.

Approximate cost of swap is around 7 to 8K, and will vary according of how far you want to go. mods and stuff

not going to get into detail about, a shopping list, or what not. there are multiple places you can get it, and it has been discussed before.

DSCN1196

the engine fits, and it barely makes it. will not fully disclose all that is being done, but will mos likely help anyone that wants to do this personally.

fitting the engine and mating the engine, can be found in the MR2OC forums, and i will not take credit for it.

Please lets not fill this thread with garbage. Its a 2grfe, because i wanted it, and if you dont like it, oh well, you are not paying for it, lol....

first things first, the engine needs to come from the bottom, it wont come from the top... it wont...

DSCN1202

DSCN1188

there are some body modifications, and will get into details later in the swap... I have my reasons.

the swap is doable. and like I said, im willing to help personally to any member, that will do it.

Will be a slow guide, because i decided to do it all myself, with no help. I feel like this is more personal....

Will include more stuff in the days to come...

DSCN1122

just consider the 2grfe, its worth it. all aluminum...

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Sep 22, 2017 - 7:15 PM

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 12, 2014 - 4:31 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

It wont clear the regular hood, but it will clear a gt4 hood, with some modifications to be confirmed...

there is some tapping and drilling to be done to tranny, and engine.... (all is covered in MR2OC), and all credit goes to guoky...

DSCN1182

DSCN1186

and how the pros do it to mount their engines to the tranny. using headless bolts

DSCN1183

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Sep 20, 2017 - 10:00 PM

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 12, 2014 - 9:14 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

if I recall, the 2GR bolts right up to the E153 with no drilling or mods. use ST205 mounts and you have 3 right off the bat.

Im surprised you cant get the engine installed from the top, I can pull the 3S-GTE and AWD trans out the top with no problem. and the 3MZ went in with no problems either.

I cant wait to see your finished product, ill never go the 2GR route unless an engine falls in my lap for free. im really happy with the 3MZ.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 12, 2014 - 2:04 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

The engine is easier to maneuver from bottom. Its bulky and it hits the frame several places. You have to disconnect a/c lines and ps lines. I have to cut the frame. And there is barely space for the regular rad fan. Its just to bulky. I dared not try and get it jammed.

I understand your point. Yes its expensive. And its not for everyone. By all means its not the best swap. But this is the last thing o do to my car and wanted to do something memorable. Lol, i still dont know if ill be able to clear the rack with the headers.

--------------------

post Aug 13, 2014 - 8:10 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

ok few more bits of information...

you just cant go straight to make the engine mount. you need to have a temporary mount to give you an idea of what needs to be cut and addressed.. in the engine bay. i suggest like i said earlier to remove the power steering an lines, and the a/c lines, unless you want to run the risk of damage...

DSCN1290

not yet sure if there is enough space for guoky headers in the rear, they fit for the front..

DSCN1293

Smaay, the upper bolt needs to be tapped.. its smooth. and you have to grind the engine in certain areas to mate the transmission..

front bracket area

DSCN1187

rear bracket area

DSCN1181

oh and forgot, fan relays are no go, move them

DSCN1189

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Sep 20, 2017 - 10:16 PM

--------------------

post Aug 13, 2014 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

oh and if youre going to be grinding, protecto engino

DSCN1179

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Sep 20, 2017 - 10:19 PM

--------------------

post Aug 13, 2014 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Berto, you cray cray! Good progress with the 2GR so far. Very brave for tacking this swap in a Celica with virtually no support.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 13, 2014 - 10:14 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Thanks, was hesitant to make a swap thread, but i said WTH...

anyways... here is why you shove this engine from the bottoms...

DSCN1296

this is the engine mounted, and on the temp mount...

but that is not a problem..

DSCN1302

obligatory swap picture...

DSCN1304

DSCN1305

and finished..

DSCN1306

i had to pull this engine 6 times up and down, up down to measure the cutting and notching the frame...

i had to notch for the head, and steering pump....

this is another angle from the crossmember.. you barely have clearance..

DSCN1294

and

DSCN1295

a stupid trick to line up the engine i learned...

DSCN1301

and once again, out, awaiting flywheel, and i will clean the transmission. its dirty...

DSCN1307

and while that is out, this may get refreshed..

DSCN1297

still lots to do, and so little time...

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Sep 20, 2017 - 10:55 PM

--------------------

post Aug 13, 2014 - 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Damn, that's a tight fit.

I can't wait to see it all buttoned up.

This post has been edited by Box: Aug 13, 2014 - 10:20 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 14, 2014 - 8:18 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Love this. Great work Berto!

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Aug 14, 2014 - 9:47 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

You are living our collective dream Berto. Awesome work

This post has been edited by enderswift: Aug 14, 2014 - 9:47 AM

--------------------
post Aug 15, 2014 - 8:23 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

--------------------
post Aug 19, 2014 - 5:15 PM
+Quote Post
kevin311

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 23, '12
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Glad you decided to make a thread. F*** the haters. The price tag on this deters me but I'm down for someone taking a crack at something new for the 6gc. I commend you though for doing this on your own. Can't wait to see and hear the end result. Nice work!
post Aug 19, 2014 - 6:29 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

thanks, no updates for now, except got the aluminum flywheel, and suspension parts, totaling 800 this month. so i fugured will wait next month, for more parts, and work with what i have. No rush to do this yet.

--------------------

post Aug 19, 2014 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

keep up the good work and the updates

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 20, 2014 - 9:35 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

this thread is already so full of win, most people who see it wont even grasp how goddamn cool this is.
i cannot wait to see this car in person in a couple weeks!
sure, cost is thru the roof.
sure, gotta have balls big enough to modify the chassis to suit.
sure, this is gonna be the fu^king coolest v6 swap on this site by about 8 billion miles!

DOOO ITTTTT berto!!!!!!

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Sep 16, 2014 - 10:36 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Updates?

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 17, 2014 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
FORGMANN

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 11, '04
From WI
Currently Offline

I know many of you are think man this would be sweet turbo'ed and in a ST205
Wonder if you can use 4WD gearbox ? Below is your answer posted in July
Anyone from Russia or eastern Europe have any more details on swap?
i could not find any anywhere .. Those crazy Russians tuners
Do not post here if you do start a new thread .

Avensis (same chassis family as st246 Caldina and 1ST gen TC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkstuZACBQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsQv-1zZq9w

Berto
Once you get running and then get power hungry again afterwards
i will have extra TRD S/C waiting as i now have 2 .. We all know 276 whp is never enough HP!!

--------------------
Old guy with the toys
95 ST205 WRC (the real deal)
94 MR2 HARDTOP Supercharged 2GR/6SPD 22 owned
post Sep 17, 2014 - 8:26 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

haha, yeah!. gonna have to chop some hood!!

ill put some work in it tomorrow and friday. this is really slow......

too many things in right now...

--------------------

post Sep 17, 2014 - 8:30 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

It doesn't seem to me like there's a lot left. You pretty much have the mounting figured out, and that's a huge chunk of the work. After that you'll be able to send your wiring out, order and assemble your axles, mount everything up and plug it in, figure out radiator hoses, and turn the key. Any time you need a hand with this you've got my number! I work for free. smile.gif

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 2:14 AM