> Hot riveting
post Nov 29, 2018 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I remember someone here had ideas about this.

https://youtu.be/m9TZXx_gtSs

I’m looking to do this

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 27, 2019 - 11:53 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Yes, sorry I missed this thread completely.
Neat video but sadly 'he's doing it wrong'. 1st that gun is way way too weak. 2nd the WHOLE rivet needs to be hot so the shank expands in the hole completely and locks in place AS the head is forming down. This stops any slop and sliding between the parts which can fatigue the rivet and cause it to fracture or shear later on.

To do a hot rivet that size a gun larger than 5x is needed and the rivets need to be heated up in a furnace and then struck into place much faster.
https://youtu.be/Sn1m1egXY5I
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHICAGO-PNEUMATIC-...bpAsm:rk:1:pf:0 a gun like that would be better suited to the work AND can be used for a bunch of other stuff like literally rattling apart anything you would ever want to take apart and deafening anyone within 100ft.

If you were local I'd swing by with my 6X gun and we could try doing some test rivets, but Podunk is a little bit of a drive. Please update this thread with some progress later on, I'd love to see.

--------------------
post Jan 28, 2019 - 10:37 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

oooh, thanks for the advice, i have to take the frame apart, i have ordered the rivets from zoro. i wont be doing this for awhile

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Feb 3, 2019 - 10:41 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

dude i tried to remove rusted rivets, they wont budge, completely grinded the head, used hammer, and 10 pound steel mallet, and nothing.. lol

--------------------

post Feb 4, 2019 - 1:32 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I use the big 6x gun once the head is off and they push through fairly well, but that thing hits like Ike Turner. For you, more hitting and some luck or a strong air hammer/rivet gun.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:15 PM