6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 390 391 392 393 394 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Jan 22, 2021 - 9:06 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I have thoughts about the eclipse but too hard to typyt on mobile

--------------------
post Jan 22, 2021 - 11:22 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 22, 2021 - 8:06 AM) *
I have thoughts about the eclipse but too hard to typyt on mobile

I kept seeing the amount of work required to make a quality eclipse and decided not to continue looking at them. I also remembered feeling claustrophobic in the one i drove, and how visibility was dog **** in it.

So i kept thinking and stumbled upon the idea of opening up to a car that looks good but doesn't necessarily go fast or doesn't have an automatic. The more I thought about it with Casey, the more apparent it became. Why not an early 1UZ SC400? The car looks great, has an upgrade path down the road (And they make swap kits with the CD009 from the 06+ 350z/370z/G35/G37 manual transmission. The 1UZ models are the same insurance if not less than the 2jz na, so i looked at a few. the 2JZ models could have a manual, but the 1uz runs forever and has two additional cylinders.

So i'm looking very hard at an SC400 right now, and it makes sense on a lot of levels. Reliable, Cheap, Parts are easy to get, aftermarket support is minimal but they are tried and true, proven good looking car, plush inside, RWD, v8. runs on premium most of the time but that seems reasonable for a lexus from any year. gas is cheap here. originally i was like "yeah lets do a supercharger build" and then i was like well there's not a lot of kits out there for them, everything seems to be super big $$$$ so a custom kit pieced together with a power goal of 500 wheel horsepower. A single turbo setup is probably the best for the racing i intend to do eventually but i need to learn more about turbo sizing and how air flows, dual tunes, etc.

Also have an interview for a job as a server/waitress today, hopefully I can pull that off. It'll be one of those places you throw peanuts on the floor and have delicious meat dishes.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 22, 2021 - 3:37 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Solid. Just make sure you do the timing belt and water pump immediately bunless you have receipts showing it was done recently. The doors are a little weird to get used to but they're not a deal breaker.

--------------------
post Jan 22, 2021 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 22, 2021 - 2:37 PM) *
Solid. Just make sure you do the timing belt and water pump immediately bunless you have receipts showing it was done recently. The doors are a little weird to get used to but they're not a deal breaker.

Thanks! I'll do that.

also

I got the job!

Reliable Daily / "Race Car" when?

I'll be a server at a local roadhouse, so i'm really excited. First day is monday. Keep your peepers peeled for any running and driving SC400s with a decent body. 93-95 strongly preferred, staying away from anything 98+. Running and Driving, Solid body a must. Paint doesn't matter. Gonna wrap it eventually anyway.

This post has been edited by Box: Jan 22, 2021 - 5:34 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 23, 2021 - 9:02 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

How about after you've kept the job a few months?

--------------------
post Jan 25, 2021 - 10:43 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So had a reason to use the fog lights today and it turns out for some reason the passenger side is deep yellow and somewhat usable, but the driver side is overly filtered white and barely visible. Not sure what gives there then.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 29, 2021 - 7:28 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 23, 2021 - 8:02 PM) *
How about after you've kept the job a few months?

Usually I don't have a problem keeping a job. Already lost that one, and as Casey will tell you, the store's general manager (who was not the one who hired me) couldn't wrap his brain around the concept that I was transgender or that I wanted him to call me she, her,ma'am, or miss if he didn't want to use my name (which he couldn't even pronounce after i told him three times). That wasn't okay with him. They also lied to me about what they provide for us to wear (Shirt and pants), then told me i'm supposed to provide my own pants when I got there. They sent me home, and Casey and I drove the 40 minutes back after driving up down and around dealing with the bs the manager put me through on the first day. Upon arriving we found out there would be no work today and there had been a tornado the night before, but given that the only one who showed up besides the GM was me, I said that I would appreciate a call in the event that we are not working. GM said he didn't like my attitude, and fired me on the spot. I pretty much lost my **** and went with "you knew my fiancee drives me because I told you, and that she has back problems, but you made her drive me 40 minutes today after a ****in tornado touched down, and I had to get here because you couldn't pick up the phone and say 'Hey, we're not working today, there's no power.' You can't fire me, I never worked here." Guy was looking for a reason to fire me because my voice doesn't match my body, and I think it's obvious but I can't prove it cus it's my word vs his.

Called a much more local fast food joint tuesday and asked them about an application status. Manager on duty proceeded to talk **** after he thought I had hung up. (I hadn't cus i hear them talking right away)

"He kept saying his name was Laura or Lawrelee or something, I wanted to ask him how long that was his name, hahaha!"

Filed a complaint with the EOEC, we'll see if they find in my favor and then i'll be filing charges for this one if they do. I have witnesses so...

Anyway, today I have another job interview today at 1pm, at another local fast food joint. I put the resume in two days ago and they called to schedule the interview yesterday. Short commute = less gas, less need for a daily that gets good gas mileage, especially since casey said she'd drive me here if anything ever goes wrong with my car (I think i want to wrap it in pink and call it the pink panzer).

This post has been edited by Box: Jan 29, 2021 - 7:45 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jan 29, 2021 - 8:59 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

That's what I was worried about down south with them good ole boys.

--------------------
post Jan 30, 2021 - 8:24 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I love Aliexpress, I can find random niche products there that I just can't find anywhere else. I needed the sensor side connector for a Toyota TPS to make an adapter harness to connect a Nissan TPS to my Toyota without cutting my Toyota harness. Aliexpress to the rescue, no where else I could find had this. Except stupid me bought a set of 5 PAIRS not 5 of the one side I needed. 5 is the minimum I could find them sold in. So, anyone else want to put a different throttle on their Toyota? Just pay shipping, you can have the rest.

Also I got the TPS figured out, I still don't know what it's from but I got the wire positions and voltage range all set. I've got the correct voltage sweep from this sensor to work with the 2ZZ ECM so I think that'll be OK. I got a connector for the TPS coming, the Toyota side of the adapter harness is ordered, I just need to translate the pinout from my car to the Nissan TPS when I build the harness and build is used lightly, it's 3 wires. Sadly it's a month-ish wait for the one harness part because China is on the other side of the planet. I tried to find it in the country somewhere but no luck. Next step is to order my injector O-rings, then once all my parts are here I need to remove the original parts and test fit the manifold so I can build the aluminum vacuum tubing, not going to have feet and feet of rubber hoses all over my engine. I still have to have some rubber sections for flex between the brake booster and the engine though. All in all I'm happy to be making progress forward and not doing things half assed. I need to decide if I'm using the original injectors or the slightly larger 2AZ injectors, I'll have to dive back into that again and look more closely at latency, flow rates, duty cycle stuff, and double check they're the same impedance as the current ones. I believe that they are.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jan 30, 2021 - 8:26 PM

--------------------
post Feb 10, 2021 - 5:02 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Cleaned up and installed! smile.gif I'll adjust my seat after a break.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 13, 2021 - 10:08 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Ribbed for her pleasure! Looks nice.

Mazda time! I'm pretty sure I finally pinned down an idle and bogging issue along with my flat feeling engine. Leaking FPR passing fuel right into the intake manifold. So I've been having this issue where the car doesn't like restarts that's been going on for like a year or maybe two years, at first it was only if I'd left the AC on it would start then idle low and sometimes stall but sometimes recover. Then it was without the AC on it would idle low on restart but recover. Then it was all the time and I had to give it throttle to restart. Then it started needing throttle to start nicely on really cold days but I had a longer than normal crank time after sitting for more than maybe an hour. Then I started having a slight misfire slowly creep in when idling at long lights. Then if I let the car idle to warm up it would bog badly when I went to take off but clear itself and go. Also for multiple years have had a problem with it dipping idle hard after coasting down a ramp and coming to stop at a red light at the bottom.
I had some time a couple lunches during the past week to look at it, I assumed it was an idle/minimum airflow issue and my boss agreed but I also was worried about head gasket or bad fuel injectors. I had no coolant loss though. I pulled the air intake off and found my air filter frame gasket was torn at one end so I got a fresh air filter. Got to the throttle body and found a very light coating of carbony oily schmoo as is normal, cleaned that off thoroughly and blasted cleaner through the IAC and air bypass passages, and blew the cleaner around and out of the intake. Smelled really gassy when I blew it out but I figured it was left over fuel in an open cylinder from the cold start and short drive into the shop. A left the throttle propped open and messed with some other stuff then sprayed a different cleaner in and blew the intake manifold dry. It smelled really gassy again. So I pulled the vacuum line off the FPR and the vacuum hose was full of fuel! Went on RockAuto, FPR is $80-100 for any brand I've heard of. Local suppliers are $130-150. Plugged numbers into Amazon, same, same, same, Delphi number comes up with a $20 part! Score! Ordered it, came in at the end of the day on Friday too late to put it on at work. I'm putting it on today, fingers crossed but I'm pretty sure this is it.

Also snapped on a new set of Denso plug wires last night, my old NGK blue wires were falling apart, I had already had an issue with wet wires one morning and had to dry and glue them back together but that glue was a temporary fix over a year ago so it was time to just pony up and change them out. That was more of a guess about what could be causing my idling and flat acceleration issues but also I knew I needed to just replace them. Plugs got changed not too long ago to the Denso Twin Tip Iridium plugs that I love so much.

Edit: FPR replaced, no leaks, started up nicely, idled down correctly, about shat itself when I turned the AC on because it has to re-learn some stuff now, and re-started problem free after sitting for about 5 minutes. I'm going to eat some lunch and go test drive it up to this new grocery store to get her some good fruit for valentines day because she loves fruit (that's why she likes me heyoooo).

This post has been edited by Bitter: Feb 13, 2021 - 2:27 PM

--------------------
post Feb 13, 2021 - 8:43 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Haha, something like that. They're SOOO much better than the leather seats, it's not even funny.

Yay fixed car! Hopefully that sorted it out completely!

Ah yes, what woman doesn't enjoy a good fruit.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 13, 2021 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Yeah, started perfectly several times, no more big oof when the AC comes on at idle, and after one drive part throttle feels a lot crisper and with more pull than I can remember for a long time. It's too snowy and slick to make any difference full throttle, just spins on the road. I think it's fixed, now to see if my gas mileage improves!

I'm just annoyed I stumbled on it by accident, but usually something like this would set a code like system too rich or some kind of oxygen sensor code but nope, no codes. Hopefully it didn't damage the catalytic converter, it looked good the other week when I changed out the front pipe. It even seems a little quieter too.

--------------------
post Feb 14, 2021 - 6:41 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Got a GoPro Session for her to do her video-clinicals that I'll take back when she's done to use on the Celica. In the mean time...
https://youtu.be/cOOAmynVmiQ

--------------------
post Feb 15, 2021 - 9:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

DOGGO VISION AND SNOW!!!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 18, 2021 - 2:40 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I guess these forums are hosted in Texas.

--------------------
post Feb 20, 2021 - 12:21 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Probably some leftover Texas Instruments server from the 90s at that.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 20, 2021 - 2:18 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Feb 20, 2021 - 11:21 AM) *
Probably some leftover Texas Instruments from the 90s at that.

ZZ Top? laugh.gif

So after I fixed my FPR, driving to work that Monday my temp gauge stopped working, just sitting on cold with heat from the vents. I had wiggled some wire harness around and evidently the connection between the terminal and the spade on the temp sender was so touchy because of corrosion. Scrubbed both clean, silicone grease, good as old once more! Waiting on the next thing to break now, still debating bothering with the muffler or not. It's bad loud in the cabin at 4,000 RPM but I don't think it's so bad outside the car since the tip has some down turn to it.

--------------------
post Feb 21, 2021 - 10:17 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Man this website must be a newer Nissan, it's got pretty questionable reliability.

--------------------
post Feb 21, 2021 - 11:11 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Feb 21, 2021 - 8:17 AM) *
Man this website must be a newer Nissan, it's got pretty questionable reliability.

Speaking of Nissan reliability, we have a company 2020 NV1500 van and it is hilariously bad. The exhaust smells like an early 90’s Chevy with that hint of oil in the exhaust. Both doors are falling off and no amount of tightening the bolts or Locktite will fix it. The passenger door panel falls off every time we open the door after you run the heater. It doesn’t do it first thing in the morning, only after the heat runs and everything has a chance to expand. The steering wanders all over the road like it’s got 400,000 miles on it but we haven’t even hit 20,000 miles. What a joke.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.

400 Pages V  « < 390 391 392 393 394 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:37 PM