> Chee La's celica progression thread thing, 7AFE ---> Greytop BEAMS
post Jun 27, 2019 - 6:50 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

I'll take the drivers side vent. Please.

The mechanism that stops the air flow took a crap on mine & is basically stuck shut.
post Jun 28, 2019 - 7:09 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Yea... Take pics of the door trim please and let me know if you are feeling like going through the trouble of pulling them out of there. I'm going to be buying new ones when the car goes down for paint, but another set won't hurt.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jun 28, 2019 - 9:02 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Jun 27, 2019 - 6:50 PM) *
I'll take the drivers side vent. Please.

The mechanism that stops the air flow took a crap on mine & is basically stuck shut.

no problem. It's already collecting dust in my basement somewhere. Once I find it, it's yours. lol

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 28, 2019 - 7:09 AM) *
Yea... Take pics of the door trim please and let me know if you are feeling like going through the trouble of pulling them out of there. I'm going to be buying new ones when the car goes down for paint, but another set won't hurt.

It poured last night so I couldn't get out there but I do have some pics from the other day I'll text you.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jun 28, 2019 - 1:06 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Did the coupe have a sunroof?
post Jun 28, 2019 - 4:56 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Jun 28, 2019 - 1:06 PM) *

sorry. no sunroof.

--------------------

post Jul 1, 2019 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Jun 28, 2019 - 1:06 PM) *

What you need from the sunroof?. there is a few on the yards on my area.
post Nov 8, 2019 - 12:40 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Happy Birthday bro, did the car come alive as a present?
post Nov 8, 2019 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 8, 2019 - 11:40 AM) *
Happy Birthday bro, did the car come alive as a present?

Thanks bro! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Well the BEAMS party was good. We got spark when we swapped out the harness but it was a mess and needed some cleaning up. I was able to start it a few days later and it was running for a very short time due to a massive vacuum leak. We threw everything together and bolts were only hand tight so the intake manifold was very loose and leaking. lol.

A couple days later, I tightened everything down again and tried to start it again but got no CEL and no spark again which is weird. but when I took the key out, the fans would stay on and the CEL would light up faintly. I'm hoping it's just something was loose like a ground somewhere but I gotta go over it some more. We had spark and it was running so not too far off now. It's just too bad that winter hit Wisconsin early and we're in the single digits already. I'm sure Minnesota isn't any better.

haven't posted in my thread for a while so I guess this is an update for everyone as well. haha
I did swap out my puny ST brakes to a set of GT brakes and got the car back down on the ground and pushed into the corner to make room for my 1st gen to snuggle together in the garage. But as old cars go, the 1st gen developed a big fuel leak. The fuel hose going to the carb split from old age and cold maybe? so I switched that out with a new one and then a new leak spring right underneath the fuel filter where another hose is I believe. I'll have to change that out too or else push it into the garage so it's not out all winter. frown.gif frown.gif

--------------------

post Nov 8, 2019 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

might as well take this time to swap out every and all rubber hoses while you're at. Will save you the hassle later on down the road.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 8, 2019 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Nov 8, 2019 - 2:04 PM) *
might as well take this time to swap out every and all rubber hoses while you're at. Will save you the hassle later on down the road.

I hear ya. For now, I just need it in the damn barn but I also don't want it to catch fire. J-Tin doesn't like being outside in winter. frown.gif It's under a carport but snow still blows on it. Not fun.

--------------------

post Nov 8, 2019 - 9:11 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

what keeping the car from running

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 9, 2019 - 3:12 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I think you know just enough about cars to kill yourself, lol. spring time re-fix-it meet!?

--------------------
post Nov 9, 2019 - 10:38 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 9, 2019 - 3:12 PM) *
I think you know just enough about cars to kill yourself, lol. spring time re-fix-it meet!?

That would be fun. Could definitely make that one.
post Nov 10, 2019 - 9:22 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Plans set lol, just not this one week in march that I'm busy.

Chee, if you're patching that split rubber fuel line on the engine you DO NOT want to use regular 'fuel hose' from the parts store. It's ****ty single wall fuel line that rots out and turns rock hard after a few years. It's really vacuum hose they're selling for fuel hose and it's super ****ty and unsafe. You want dual wall high pressure rubber fuel line, buy it somewhere online, it'll last for decades and not turn hard and crack. Also you want rubber ONLY where needed, I see older cars where they've got rubber hose strung and zip tied snaked through the engine bay in all kinds of unsafe ways just begging to get damaged and start a fire. Get some copper/nickel hard line and fab metal fuel line as much as possible, obviously you'll need rubber at flex points like from the frame to the engine and maybe a short section from the line to the carb but really nothing much else, certainly keep rubber sections to less than a foot.

Gates Barricade hose is what you want, or the equivalent from Continental. Also use Oetiker clamps or fuel hose clamps NOT worm clamps as they cut into the hose over time and need to be re-tightened to prevent leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gates+barricade+...ef=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=continental+elit...b_sb_ss_sc_1_22
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oetiker+fuel+lin...=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fuel+line+hose+c...nb_sb_ss_i_3_10

Good news is all that stuff is high enough grade to use on any vehicle including Celica's with modern fuel injection. Personally I'd just run an all new line from the fuel sender with either nylon or make a hard line from copper/nickel, that way you know it's done right and it won't suck air or leak fuel. I know it's a no pressure system but man I've seen what even a small fuel fire can do to a car and that's the fastest way to send one to the junk yard when you burn up hard/impossible to get parts.

--------------------
post Nov 10, 2019 - 7:15 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 9, 2019 - 2:12 PM) *

yup, that's actually pretty accurate.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 10, 2019 - 8:22 AM) *
Plans set lol, just not this one week in march that I'm busy.

Chee, if you're patching that split rubber fuel line on the engine you DO NOT want to use regular 'fuel hose' from the parts store. It's ****ty single wall fuel line that rots out and turns rock hard after a few years. It's really vacuum hose they're selling for fuel hose and it's super ****ty and unsafe. You want dual wall high pressure rubber fuel line, buy it somewhere online, it'll last for decades and not turn hard and crack. Also you want rubber ONLY where needed, I see older cars where they've got rubber hose strung and zip tied snaked through the engine bay in all kinds of unsafe ways just begging to get damaged and start a fire. Get some copper/nickel hard line and fab metal fuel line as much as possible, obviously you'll need rubber at flex points like from the frame to the engine and maybe a short section from the line to the carb but really nothing much else, certainly keep rubber sections to less than a foot.

Gates Barricade hose is what you want, or the equivalent from Continental. Also use Oetiker clamps or fuel hose clamps NOT worm clamps as they cut into the hose over time and need to be re-tightened to prevent leaks.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gates+barricade+...ef=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=continental+elit...b_sb_ss_sc_1_22
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oetiker+fuel+lin...=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fuel+line+hose+c...nb_sb_ss_i_3_10

Good news is all that stuff is high enough grade to use on any vehicle including Celica's with modern fuel injection. Personally I'd just run an all new line from the fuel sender with either nylon or make a hard line from copper/nickel, that way you know it's done right and it won't suck air or leak fuel. I know it's a no pressure system but man I've seen what even a small fuel fire can do to a car and that's the fastest way to send one to the junk yard when you burn up hard/impossible to get parts.

and yes, that's what happened with these hoses. I beleive the previous owner just rigged this up with cheap fuel hoses and so both of them split. I got a new hose online and was able to get into the garage for storage. I'll have to check and see if the fuel line I got is up to par with those or not. If not, I'll switch it out once springtime hits. thanks!

--------------------

post Nov 11, 2019 - 5:23 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

We charge double for your kind at the shop cause we got to un fix whatever you did and then fix what was wrong in the first place. laugh.gif

"I replaced everything and it's worse now than when I started!"

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 11, 2019 - 5:24 AM

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2019 - 11:10 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 11, 2019 - 4:23 AM) *
We charge double for your kind at the shop cause we got to un fix whatever you did and then fix what was wrong in the first place. laugh.gif

"I replaced everything and it's worse now than when I started!"

define "worse"...... laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

post Mar 1, 2020 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

sooo....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 2, 2020 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Mar 1, 2020 - 1:28 PM) *
sooo....

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

update.

so........... I started cleaning up the garage so I can start working on it again.?

--------------------

post Apr 5, 2020 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

*blows dust off the thread*

so.... where were we??

I believe before we left off last time, I had set up a BEAMS meet at my house.
It was successful and the midwest crew came out to help me swap harnesses and tie up a couple loose ends.
At the end of the night we were able to get it started and hear it run if only for a moment.

After the meet, I did tighten everything down as we were scrambling and throwing things together to get it to run. So after tightening it I was able to start it again
but then I let it sit over winter while I worked on finishing Freelica and getting that ready to sell. After selling it, I jumped back into the BEANS but now I'm back to where I started or a few steps behind that even. Now it's no start no crank where as before it cranked but no start. I checked over everything again, changed out AM1 fuse, ECU fuse, checked all related fuses, looked at the COR, ECU, grounds, etc. Even took off the starter to test and it still spins. but when I put the starter back on and tried jumping it, no go. Feels like I'm not getting a signal to the starter anymore. Not sure what changed between then and now as I didn't touch it at all but I'm not sure what to do anymore. any help would be appreciated. I'll text/PM some of you later.

--------------------

39 Pages V  « < 34 35 36 37 38 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:50 PM