6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '98 Celica GT: The Continuation...., Dun dun duuuunnnnnn.....
post Mar 13, 2019 - 7:16 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Are you going to send out the manifold for coating to match the turbo?

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Mar 13, 2019 - 9:43 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I have an extra 3s downpipe I want to get rid of. Brand new from gt4play:

https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/high-flow-3-down-pipe

PM me if you're interested

--------------------
post Mar 13, 2019 - 12:34 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Mar 13, 2019 - 7:16 AM) *
Are you going to send out the manifold for coating to match the turbo?

I'm tempted, but if you're willing to donate a bit, I can get it done. lol

QUOTE (enderswift @ Mar 13, 2019 - 9:43 AM) *
I have an extra 3s downpipe I want to get rid of. Brand new from gt4play:

https://gt4-play.co.uk/shop/high-flow-3-down-pipe

PM me if you're interested

PM sent.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Mar 13, 2019 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

lolol I've got another kid on the way.... There's no money for anything....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Mar 13, 2019 - 7:10 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Another one?!?

--------------------
post Mar 27, 2019 - 9:48 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Picked up a Berk 3" downpipe from PrimeDriven with some store credit I had. I found it odd that I needed to grind down a bit of the flange so that my wastegate flap thingy would clear to open and close properly, but it's not really a big deal.

Valve cover powder coated and I grabbed a couple of cans of matte black bbq grill paint and started painting a bunch of stuff (intake & exhaust manifold, throttle body, heat shields, timing covers, misc brackets, etc). Painted the "Yamaha" and the timing marks on the cover with some white-out. Ordered a bunch more bolts from Toyota to replaced the rusted ones along with a new idler pulley for the alternator/AC compressor as that one was rusted and bearing was going out.

Can someone confirm if the 2 water lines circled in red are connected? Is blue the water feed for the turbo?

Are the red and yellow for the heater core and where does the green one go off to?

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jun 27, 2019 - 11:51 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

not sure what else has been sorted out since my last post, but from what I can remember, I broke some more **** (water line for the IACV. gonna bypass that), installed the OEM 2JZGTE 550cc injectors, and got the wiring harness mounted and plugged in (for the most part). Nothing all that great I suppose, but it's better than nothing. The motor is about 90% assembled and just about ready to go back into the car, but before that....

It's time to sort out the mess in the engine bay. There's a lot of random wires and misc. crap running through the bay and through odd orifices and the bay's paint could really use some refreshening, so I figured now would be the time to do it.

While I was cleaning up, I took a gander over at the AC condenser and would ya look at that? Would ya just look at it?!

It's kinda hard to tell, but the condenser has a bowling affect to it. Looks like something hit it pretty good from the front and pressed it in, so I ordered a new condenser....and compressor....and drier....and expansion valve... sheesh...

Took the pressure washer to the bay and went to town after I did a quick scuff of 320 grit to the bay...and then someone left me unsupervised...

I think my pressure washer calligraphy skills are getting a little better. lol

After a few hours, finally got a good majority of the things I needed cleaned and taped up. This is gonna be a pretty quick and dirty paint job since it's a black car. Also cleaned up and pressure washed the front crossmember as well.

Called it a day there and decided that I wanted to take the rear spoiler off to repaint as well since the clear coat has seen better days. The rear hatch has seen better days as well with a rust patch by the Toyota emblem and some dings by the front post of the spoiler wing thing.

Doesn't look too bad wingless, I suppose, but I eventually plan to run a TRD wing on it.

Was starting to run out of daylight and I don't have access to the shop since my friend's out of the country for vacation, so I took the wing home and started work on it.

Started to knock off the clear coat using some 150 grit sand paper and progressively worked my way up to 400 grit. It was probably unnecessary to go that high, but figured it wouldn't hurt to do so. Minus the still-visible paint, the wing is pretty smooth.

Found a couple of small spots on the rear wing that's gonna need some body filler, so I'll be doing that sometime this weekend when it rains. It's been raining off and on these last few days and is supposed to be continuing to do so for the next couple of weeks, but there looks to be a pocket of sun shine this weekend that I want to try to take advantage of to prep the rear hatch for paint work.

The reason I'm doing more paint work than I probably should is because I bought some SprayMax 2K filler primer and 2K clear coat. They're pretty expensive at about $20/can, so I wanted to maximize the usage out of each can. Hopefully I have the patience to not make it look like ass. We'll find out on the next episode of Dragonball Z!

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jun 28, 2019 - 7:05 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I loathe bodywork..... I just don't have the patience for it.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jun 28, 2019 - 6:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I can't decide what's worse, bodywork or interior.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 29, 2019 - 1:21 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 28, 2019 - 7:05 AM) *
I loathe bodywork..... I just don't have the patience for it.

I'm not looking forward to it either. Mainly the rusted bit, but i'll find out soon enough tomorrow.

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 28, 2019 - 6:24 PM) *
I can't decide what's worse, bodywork or interior.

Bodyterior. I don't mind interior work too much depending on what it is. Body work is all new to me minus doing detailing work. I think it should be ok though....maybe...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jun 29, 2019 - 2:49 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just replacing pieces on either isn't too bad, but extensive body work or interior work... Hmmmm.... At least interior work is cleaner, so there's that I guess.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 29, 2019 - 5:45 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

So umm....yeah...

Not sure how I'll be tackling this one. Maybe a sledge hammer or something. The rust actually crept down towards the lip edge of the hatch, so it's pretty nasty, but I spray some rust coating thing over it in the mean time to hold it over til then. I won't be keeping this hatch around for long.

Other than that, got the rear hatch sanded down up to about 320 grit. It'll do for now.

And then before the storm came a-rumblin' through, I got the bay primered.

I said "fck it" and did one thicc a$$ coat before the storm. Gonna hit it with another light coat later when I get around to wrapping up the rear hatch. In the mean time, I'm gonna finish primer coating the front crossmember in my back yard since I'm home now and the storm has passed...for now...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jun 29, 2019 - 9:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just fill any rust holes with Bondo like most anyone else. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 30, 2019 - 10:13 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 29, 2019 - 9:44 PM) *
Just fill any rust holes with Bondo like most anyone else. laugh.gif

I honestly probably could. The holes are about the size of a dime, so it won't be THAT bad of a temp repair.

Went ahead and painted the front cross member last night along with the motor mount.

The poly bushing sandwich piece thing got painted, too, because it's getting replaced with an actual poly bushing from BRD once I can dig up my rear mount to confirm with Lou.

Heading back down to the shop today to do some more grunt work because it looks like the weather is gonna be clear for the rest of the day.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jun 30, 2019 - 9:20 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

So we had a break in the weather today. It was forecast to rain today, but I guess Mother Nature decided to offer a break and gave us a rain-free, sunny afternoon. I took this opportunity to pack up my **** and drive the 43 miles across town to get working on the car.

I didn't really take a whole lot of pictures of the progress, but I managed to plug up the rust holes in the reat hatch with some bondo. Tried to do it for the holes from the old 3-post spoilers, but I don't think it'll hold up that well. Coated whatever exposed rust with that rust preventative paint or whatever it's called.

Still has a couple of divets, but that'll be packed in with primer to make it flush-ish. Also filled in the holes for the rear Toyota badge as well. I'm not even gonna bother with that dent on the hatch lid. lol

After some drying time with the rust coating, it was time to primer.

Got fancy with some of that SprayMax 2K primer. Same primer I used in the engine bay. It's a good primer, but doesn't like to be sprayed in a position other than vertical, so it's made it kind of a chore doing the horizontal surface of the hatch. I managed to get a light, first coat on the hatch along with a light coat and a few touch-ups in the engine bay, and rear spoiler. When it came to the second, heavy coat, it started to lose its efficiency and I ran out about halfway. I'm gonna pick up another can tomorrow and possibly a can of Rustoleam primer as well just in case.

You can kinda see where the can started to run out of breath, so I left it at that. Hopefully weather will hold out some more later this week and let me finish this job.

Also, if anyone is looking to delete their rear wipe arm, the MK4 Supra butt plug fits.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jul 17, 2019 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Some spots still look like dog ass, but it's still way better than it was before and that was the goal. Now to glue everything back together.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jul 17, 2019 - 2:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Glue? Supposed to use cable ties ala Honda style.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 17, 2019 - 8:15 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Cable ties is amateur league. We're in JV now.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jul 25, 2019 - 11:57 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Let's see.......

I started cleaning up the wiring mess that was left behind the pillar pod and driver's foot well area.

I also plucked out the old Viper alarm that was in the car along with the Blitz turbo timer as well. I got rid of those pedal covers cuz my shoe laces kept getting caught on the screws that help them stay in place.

This was basically everything I pulled from the driver's area.

Passenger side was pretty neat.

Yikes.

Took that little bit of the body harness home to organize a bit. Was told a lot of that can be removed, so I will be doing that this weekend. Hopefully I don't phuc anything up.

I placed an order for new poly engine mounts from Lou over at BRD in the UK. They got sent out today, so hopefully they'll be here mid-week next week so I can drop the motor in by week's end.

In the mean time, it was time to take care of AC stuff.

Replacing the condenser because, you know...

yeah.....I've no idea how something like that can happen.

Replaced the compressor as well. Old one looked like poo and I'd rather be ready for this south Texas heat. By now, I had ran out of day light and I was getting pretty hungry, so called it a day for now. Heading back tomorrow to finish replacing the AC dryer and the o-rings for the ends going to the fire wall. I might have a leak somewhere because when I had the system discharged before starting this, there was barely any freon left in the system. Should be buttoning up the driver's side area as well since I was needing a butt connector that I forgot to bring with me.

I'm getting pretty close to getting this thing together. For a while, I was losing motivation to keep working on the car and feeling indifferent about it. I was at this same point with the Supra as well years ago when the motor wasn't in the car. Even as I'm getting closer to the finish line, I still feel indifferent about it and whether or not I want to keep the car after all is said and done. Maybe cuz it's been me working on the car solo 95% of the time and it feels kinda meh. I guess time will tell though.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jul 26, 2019 - 12:50 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I think you'll feel better about it once it's up and running again, it's normal to feel disdain towards things that aren't working and are taking forever to put right. I know exactly what that's like...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

15 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:36 AM