6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [5S-FE] Syaoran's Build, Update August 14!
post Nov 19, 2013 - 12:10 PM
+Quote Post
6strngs

Enthusiast
Joined May 12, '06
From Wilmington, NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Nov 18, 2013 - 11:31 PM) *
QUOTE (6strngs @ Nov 18, 2013 - 11:55 AM) *
Careful with that boost, I blew up my 5sfte at around 12-13 PSI, granted I was only "tuned" with an SAFC. I also just shot a rod through the side of the block in my miata when it started getting boost creep to 15 psi. biggrin.gif

Engines don't blow based on how much boost they're fed, a rod shot through the block happened either by oil starvation or heavy knocking/pinging...

But it feels pretty good at 10PSI still tongue.gif

15PSI caused the car to run lean, which caused the head gasket to blow, causing the cylinders to fill with water and the engine to overheat. Replaced head gasket, engine had a slight tick that I figured was lifters as it's common on a miata for the lifters to tick for a little while after you have the head off. I took the car to the track and within a few runs the tick turned into a loud rod knock. I tried to limp the car the 60 miles home, as the knock got louder, and louder, then after about 45 miles it blew up on the freeway. But if the car had just stayed around the 8-10 PSI which I had enough fuel for, this would not have happened.

This post has been edited by 6strngs: Nov 19, 2013 - 12:12 PM

--------------------

94 GT - Sold -------- 69 Pontiac Lemans - Sold
88 Alltrac - Sold ---- 04 WRX - Sold
00 GT-S - Sold ------ 91 Miata - project/drift car
95 GT - Sold -------- 96 GT - New Daily Drive
post Nov 19, 2013 - 1:00 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE (6strngs @ Nov 19, 2013 - 1:10 PM) *
QUOTE (Syaoran @ Nov 18, 2013 - 11:31 PM) *
QUOTE (6strngs @ Nov 18, 2013 - 11:55 AM) *
Careful with that boost, I blew up my 5sfte at around 12-13 PSI, granted I was only "tuned" with an SAFC. I also just shot a rod through the side of the block in my miata when it started getting boost creep to 15 psi. biggrin.gif

Engines don't blow based on how much boost they're fed, a rod shot through the block happened either by oil starvation or heavy knocking/pinging...

But it feels pretty good at 10PSI still tongue.gif

15PSI caused the car to run lean, which caused the head gasket to blow, causing the cylinders to fill with water and the engine to overheat. Replaced head gasket, engine had a slight tick that I figured was lifters as it's common on a miata for the lifters to tick for a little while after you have the head off. I took the car to the track and within a few runs the tick turned into a loud rod knock. I tried to limp the car the 60 miles home, as the knock got louder, and louder, then after about 45 miles it blew up on the freeway. But if the car had just stayed around the 8-10 PSI which I had enough fuel for, this would not have happened.

I'm currently at a max of 70% duty cycle at 15 PSI on the 550CC injectors, running a 11.0-11.2 AFR which is still pretty rich... even the stock fuel pump isn't having problems, yet, haven't had the wish to break out the fuel pump assembly to swap it out for a Walbro or AEM that I have here.

I'm going to be running 50/50 Water/Methanol injection, which really really helps control all kinds of bad stuff. Going to be injecting 330cc for now at 10 PSI and above to control IATs and knock.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Nov 19, 2013 - 1:45 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Nov 19, 2013 - 8:03 AM) *
Definitely can't. Piping won't let me.

That's a bummer. How about the fog light covers?

--------------------
post Nov 21, 2013 - 12:30 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

The driver's side one is protruding. I'd have to re-do it to be able to put both covers on.

I like the piping showing tongue.gif

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Dec 24, 2013 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
TRDweaponX

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '11
From Texarkana Texas
Currently Offline

Awesome build.
post Apr 13, 2014 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

It's about time for an update. Tuner slipped his finger. Blew #3. 91 octane is really bad kindasad.gif Engine has been torn down, piston taken out, ringland fell apart. Going to be putting a new piston in. I finally got a gas station next to my house that's got 93 octane, and I purchased a coolingmist 1.5gallon meth injection kit. 315cc nozzle with a spare 2gph nozzle for a dual nozzle setup if needed. Hopefully no more broken cast pistons from bad octane gas lol.

In other news, I got a new 2 row aluminum radiator, upgraded the clutch to a competition stage 4 sprung 6 puck, and got a set of BC BR Coilovers, finally.

Radiator is a pretty good fit with everything on there. On a stock 5SFE and a 3SGTE it'd fit fine. Since my setup is custom, the auxiliary or a/c fan hits the wastegate dump tube. Will need to fab a new wastegate dump. No big deal.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Apr 13, 2014 - 9:57 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Wow... big update tongue.gif Sucks about the piston, but looks like its going to work out well, and the other updates are all very good smile.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Apr 13, 2014 - 10:03 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

is that an OEM cast piston? if so, there is your problem. get something good! and yes 91 piss gas sucks.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Apr 14, 2014 - 12:58 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ Apr 13, 2014 - 10:57 PM) *
Wow... big update tongue.gif Sucks about the piston, but looks like its going to work out well, and the other updates are all very good smile.gif

Thanks!

QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 13, 2014 - 11:03 PM) *
is that an OEM cast piston? if so, there is your problem. get something good! and yes 91 piss gas sucks.

Yep. Staying cast for now. I wanna test the limits of them with 93 and 315cc potentially 475cc (I have a second nozzle I can use to do a dual nozzle setup instead of a bigger nozzle)

If it so happens I reach my goal and they're still okay, then hoorah

Arias pistons are way too expensive and they seem to be the only ones willing to make a set for the 5S. Can't justify $600 for pistons when all other engines get pistons for 300-400 lol

I already did that with the rods and without a head upgrade I feel like I wasted my money.

This post has been edited by Syaoran: Apr 14, 2014 - 12:59 AM

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post May 24, 2014 - 2:42 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

First start since Feb happened on Thursday.

Seems like the oil pan didn't seal properly and is leaking behind the transmission cover plate. Another day's worth of work awaits before getting it on the road...

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Jul 6, 2014 - 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

Oil pan leak is getting corrected in the next few days after a long hiatus. I've been very busy with my family's cars and stuff. Haven't had time to show the Celica some love... I need to get onto modding a few things before I make it roadworthy again, mainly the radiator. The posts for the fans are too long (common ocurrence with aftermarket aluminum radiators it seems, especially chinese ones) so they will need to get trimmed down for the fans to sit flush.

I want to buy new fans but I can't justify the expense lol. I also want to downgrade to a CT series turbo. I want the clean look of the OEM setup. Plus a water-cooled turbo is always a plus.

I want a custom air-cooled oil cooler setup as well. Will have to wait for the new semester to start so I can earn a few bucks. I'm thinking about going N/A for the meantime.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Aug 14, 2014 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

It's back on the road. Need to do a few more things to it, like installing a new meth kit, a downpipe vband for easier working on the car and a turbk heatshield, because it radiates way too much heat onto the radiator.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Aug 14, 2014 - 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
kevin311

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 23, '12
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Glad you finally got it back on the road. Dealing with the oil pan on the 5s is such a PITA.
post Aug 15, 2014 - 9:42 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

Yes it is lol. Apparently I put too small of a bead last time. This time, I straightened it out best I could and put a larger bead on it, (around 1/3 of a pinky finger's thickness, slightly larger than the grooves on the pan) and it's dry down there so far, so we're good.

--------------------
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Aug 15, 2014 - 1:14 PM
+Quote Post
kevin311

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 23, '12
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Nice, I made sure I put a thick bead on mine. Been dealin with the oil pump racetrack seal leaking the last couple months, so it's finally going in the shop to get replaced. For a third time. I've done it once with the motor in and once with it out, this time I'm not messing with it lol.

12 Pages V  « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:33 PM