6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blood's Project Abby, Looks like we're starting over...
post Apr 10, 2011 - 9:38 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I still want a cookie....

The splitters look great, Chris. Pictures don't do them justice.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 10, 2011 - 10:25 AM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 10, 2011 - 10:38 AM) *
I still want a cookie....

The splitters look great, Chris. Pictures don't do them justice.

agreed!

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post May 14, 2011 - 11:44 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Thanks guys smile.gif

But its time for a pre-dragon update.

After installing a godspeed radiator and fans, the fans pushed my alternator too far....

So, I replaced it with a 160A unit. It was relatively cheap, so if I get a year out of it, I'll be pretty happy.

After all that, it turns out that the heater core was leaking as well.... Looks like Stacy had some work to do!

I love this girl smile.gif

She got this far in just over an hour.....

Last night, we got the car all back together and flushed the cooling system.

Tomorrow, we're going to try and get the rest of my presents in...

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 15, 2011 - 9:17 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

HPS pads are nice man, I like them. Good compromise for daily driving and a little weekend fun, however that first 1 or 2 cold stops....they don't bite so hard so be prepared.

--------------------
post May 15, 2011 - 9:39 AM
+Quote Post
Stambo

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 23, '08
From Muskego,Wi
Currently Offline

^^ agreed good stuff right there

--------------------
2nd Gen 3s-gte.... It lives!

97celiman
"92-gt-quit making up random acronyms that dont mean anything. the only real acronym is JDM"
post May 15, 2011 - 10:07 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

They couple well with ceramic pads in the rear with a more constant grab hot or cold, reason being you'll lock your rears up with a pad that grabs hard halfway into a stop. The HPS is... interesting. I can feel them heat up and bite down as they heat up in a stop, which is great in the front since weight transfers to the front..however with weight transferring away from the rear and the pads heating up and grabbing harder you'll get the rears locking up once you're into the stop already. If you're running around a track its no problem because the pads and rotors stay hot, even in the rear. However in a panic stop when you're just slamming on the brakes you could find that to be a problem.

Ceramic pads tend to have a constant coeff of friction hot or cold, so the rears grab the same no matter which will help to keep them from locking during a panic stop and keep you from sliding your ass around. ABS negates this problem. I know 7th gen brakes are not the same, but I can lock my rear with relative ease with the SS brake hoses even with ceramic pads (Wagner). HPS up front and Wagner rear are a good combo I think, but they're the only combo I know on my Celica...and I'll stick with them. On my old car I had Wagner ceramic up front and drum rear, so I can attest to how constant the friction is on that brands ceramic...they had the same exact grab no matter hot or cold...which feels funky as hell coming from HPS.

--------------------
post May 15, 2011 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Thanks Jordan. I'll keep that in mind tonight after I get them installed.

I hope that they will stay hot while I'm on the Dragon... smile.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 15, 2011 - 2:41 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Honestly you may never encounter a problem, just watch out if you're cruising on the highway and make a panic stop on wet road is all.

--------------------
post May 17, 2011 - 10:14 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Well we hit a problem alright.....

Things are just a little too big for the front. After putting the fronts all together, they were too tight to allow any free wheel rotation. So were going to have to figure out how to modify them just a little so that im not burning the brakes up while I'm driving....

The rears fit fine though....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 17, 2011 - 8:41 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Hm? too tight? Aren't they all stock replacement parts? Slides all move? pistons not seized? brake hoses not damaged? etc? Quick test, when the wheels are not turning freely open the brake bleeder. if the wheel then spins free its a bad hose holding pressure in the caliper. One side or both? MOAR INFO! laugh.gif Don't make me go up there and sort it out for you.

--------------------
post May 18, 2011 - 7:16 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

The pistons on the clipers completely compress however, it seems like the pads are just too thick for the allotted space. We are going to take them apart tomorrow to try to figure out the issue. I'll post up more then....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 18, 2011 - 7:54 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Odd...did you double check the part numbers? Did you get the inner and outer pads reversed or are they all identical? Is the pad with the squealer on the correct side (inboard or outboard?)?

And the slides are moving totally free as well? are the pads binding in the clips? Rotors flat against the hubs totally and caliper brackets totally flush to the mounting ears?

This post has been edited by Bitter: May 18, 2011 - 7:55 PM

--------------------
post May 19, 2011 - 8:22 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I think it might be the sliders... I'm about to head out to go check them out.

All the pads are equal thickness and I wirebrushed the hubs before putting the new rotors on and I also cleaned and greased the pad clips as well.

I'll let you know smile.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 19, 2011 - 10:17 AM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

same thing happened to me only with the rear brakes.. the pads were way to big, and didnt allow the wheel to spin free. i drove the car slow untill it went a way but it seams like that is a problem with the 6gc... no one can make brakes for them lol.

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post May 19, 2011 - 6:46 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

wink.gif you guys need a real mechanic. Chris I might be up in the city this weekend near depaul, where are you? If its not too far I can swing in and take a look/assist trouble shooting. Shoot me a PM if you want my number or something.

If you do want me to swing by let me know, I'll bring some special lube with me. It's awesome for slides and stuff, 2200F temp rating, thick so it stays in place, and full of powdered anti-wear so it won't let the metal pins bind against the bores under braking load.

This post has been edited by Bitter: May 19, 2011 - 8:35 PM

--------------------
post May 22, 2011 - 9:31 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Well, with the help of the Georgia Ctech crew, we were able to get the 3 frozen front caliper sliders moving again.

After figuring that out and putting in my kyb's, everything went back together smoothly.

I've put 2000 miles on Abby since last Monday, driving from home to ATL to Knoxvegas, down the Dragon and back home again....

Now I need a new Throwout bearing. kindasad.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 23, 2011 - 7:07 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Were the slide boots damaged? It would be wise to just get a front slide kit and replace the slides and slide boots or even just get a pair of reman calipers. Centric makes a good rebuilt caliper.

--------------------
post May 23, 2011 - 10:43 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Meh... I figure I'll just leave it until I can scrape up enough for ST205 front brakes.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 23, 2011 - 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Yea, that's a great option as well!

--------------------
post Jul 23, 2011 - 7:55 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

forgot to ask you at the meet, how do you like the Hawk pads?

--------------------

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:38 PM