> Tigawoods' 1995 Celica, Racing n Stuff
post Apr 30, 2009 - 9:16 AM
+Quote Post
purplegt4

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '03
From Northern Virginia
Currently Offline

nice car! we gotta meet up and autox one day.
post May 1, 2009 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

i would love to see another modded celica in person haha

Here is my schedule for the summer
----MAY----
9th - Englishtown Roadcourse Auto-x
24th - Citizens Bank Park Philly Auto-x
30th/31st - Holbert Memorial Auto-X Warminister, PA

----JUNE----
5th - Formula D Day 1 Englishtown, NJ
6th - Formula D Day 2/ Englishtown Auto-x in Parking lot
28th - Citizens Bank Park Philly Auto-X

----JULY----
5th - Englishtown Roadcourse Auto-X
11th - Warminister, PA Auto-X
19th - Lancaster Park City Mall Auto-X
25th - Englishtown Roadcourse Auto-X

----August----
2nd - Warminister, PA Auto-X

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post May 1, 2009 - 4:04 PM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

damn you got the front tire tucking laugh.gif that is EPIC!

--------------------
I don't normally drive fast, but when I do its on a curvy section of this island
post May 2, 2009 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
rj8807

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '08
From Woodstock, Maryland
Currently Offline

nice pics!!!

i might be hitting up one of the philly region races for old time's sake. I'm being very selective due to low $$$ and i got HYPERDRIVE COMING UP!!! SO EXCITED!!

a good cheap way to get tires is not to buy them new. Used ones will do you just fine, especially when you find them cheap. If you can, save the money for like 15" wheels, and then search ebay toward fall/winter. The Spec miata guys will sell 225/50/15 Hoosier R6's (4 of them) with like 6 races on them for like $50. They may be used, but it will last the average autox (especially if your starting to get serious) a while. when you feel they are done, you can always ask other racers if they have used ones.

I got offered 4 275/35/17s that were used once at Solo nationals the previous year, for $120 no joke.

and there's always the www.sccaforums.com For sale therads. good place to look lol

are you going to build a full on Street prepared car? i would highly recomend getting a daily. drove an EP (E-prepared) car down to the event, raced, and back again. stripped, one race seat, roll bar, and straight through exhaust. fun for like 15mins, and on the course, annoying for the rest.

--------------------
95 Celica ST (currently in Motorsport Purgatory)
post May 2, 2009 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

yeah ive been checking the forums often looking for used tires
i have a friend that i just talked to that said he can get me tires for really cheap, unfortunatley hoosiers arent under the list. he said tires like
Azenis RT-615 and the Advan A048's for about 70 a tire. which is extremely cheap.

i would like to build this car to the point where its still a sensible DD

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 3, 2009 - 12:57 PM
+Quote Post
rj8807

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '08
From Woodstock, Maryland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ May 2, 2009 - 10:29 AM) *
yeah ive been checking the forums often looking for used tires
i have a friend that i just talked to that said he can get me tires for really cheap, unfortunatley hoosiers arent under the list. he said tires like
Azenis RT-615 and the Advan A048's for about 70 a tire. which is extremely cheap.

i would like to build this car to the point where its still a sensible DD

Hoosiers are a big commitment anyway. getting to races earlier to put the wheels on, new wheels, ect. and when your a budget college racer, just like me, its just not in the cards. Thats why im building a Street touring car lol

Can your friend get Bridgestones or Kumho's? They both have 2 top of the line extreme performance tires that are amazing on the course. Bridgestone RE-11s i've personally tried this season on my friend's prepped Street touring car, and they are AWSOME! The Kumho's are pretty much the "budget version" of the Bridgestones.

Dont get me wrong, Azenis are good, but there's better out there for little to no extra $$$. The yokohama's are yet to be determained how good they are since they arn't out yet, but they are getting really good reviews.

tires are a big choice!!! i hope i've given you a little help in your decision. But any tire you get, you make sure it's the right decision for your own reasons, not because someone else says its good.

--------------------
post May 3, 2009 - 2:58 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

its going to be budget wise for me. haha. i have found wheels. i decided not go waste my money and get 57optimises or rims that are worth more than the car
last night i was looking at tires and came across those kumhos

if i where more serious i would devote more money into it and get hoosiers but im not there yet.
i am comparing and contrasting all options so i can come to a reasonable and affordable option.
i have some time. but my first event is this saturday. im using these first events to get used to how the suspension reacts to the courses

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 4, 2009 - 10:12 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

ordered some toys for her and they are en route to my house via big brown trucks.

I also have another deal that i am working on for a few very special items. items that i had only dreamed of having. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 6, 2009 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
whatthe

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 13, '08
From Australia
Currently Offline

Hmm i wonder what they might be

--------------------
post May 7, 2009 - 6:20 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

they are in. but im not sure if i want to post pics yet.

still working up the cash for the next item. probably gunna be atleast a month

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 7, 2009 - 6:46 PM
+Quote Post
95st-celica

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 29, '07
From Philly
Currently Offline

dude your such a tease....just show us what you got already!!

--------------------

I"M NOT A TOYOTA FAN, IM A FANATIC
1984 accord hatch 5 speed (T-Belt)-Junkyard
1991 VDUB jetta wolfsburg Ed. 5 speed (clutch)-junkyard
1988 Dodge Aries K (sold)
1969 Chevy El camino - Traded for celica
1991 Dodge Daytona-Traded for Celica
1988 Chevy Camaro-Work in Progress
1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 - For Sale
1995 Toyota Celica-Work in Progress
post May 8, 2009 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

ima a wait a bit. I might just wait until i get my next thing. but that wont be for another 3 weeks at the most now

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 8, 2009 - 6:01 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

What would be better.
Lightweight wheels with ok tires.
or
Slightly Heavy wheels (not as bad as steelies) and real sticky tires?

im thinking#2

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 8, 2009 - 6:18 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

wow reading your thread and did a search annd fond this

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai...PRODUCT_ID=6866

why are this tires so damn expensive. do they even last. i may want to do this in the future. but right now money is an issue... pluess i will need another car..

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post May 8, 2009 - 6:29 PM
+Quote Post
Capone

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 13, '08
From Atlanta,Ga
Currently Offline

I Found this set on craigs list for $150 when I was looking for wheels, there in Georgia too.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=Craigs+List&p...aigslist.org%2F
post May 8, 2009 - 6:37 PM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ May 8, 2009 - 6:01 PM) *
What would be better.
Lightweight wheels with ok tires.
or
Slightly Heavy wheels (not as bad as steelies) and real sticky tires?

im thinking#2

lightwweight wheels with ok tires, because tires get replace more often than wheels, once you have decent wheels you can save for the next set of tires to have the perfect combo, but on the other hand heavy wheels will always be heavy and will need to be upgraded to lightweight later regardless of how good tires you have.

you'll pick up a 0.0001s in accelaration and reduce braking distance with lighter wheels too.

--------------------

post May 8, 2009 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

yeah. im still looking at hoosiers. everyone says they are the best of the best.
but i dont feel like spending the money for them, used would be the best option
thanks for the link njccmd

your right stevenson, you go through tires more than wheels.

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 9, 2009 - 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
rj8807

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '08
From Woodstock, Maryland
Currently Offline

i hope its sticky tires and heavy wheels. best option IMO. spend money on tires. light wheels dont win, tires do.

--------------------
post May 9, 2009 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rj8807 @ May 9, 2009 - 12:51 PM) *
i hope its sticky tires and heavy wheels. best option IMO. spend money on tires. light wheels dont win, tires do.

a car build is a long term process, lightweight wheels will remain there way after the tires are gone, next tires can be the best tires on the market, tires get replace, and being honest, the amount of driving time he has on auto X, he won't be able to take advantage to its full potential of expensive tires just yet ( sorry tiga, not putting down your skills, is just you are relatively new to the sport )

--------------------

post May 10, 2009 - 11:18 AM
+Quote Post
rj8807

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '08
From Woodstock, Maryland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Culpable04 @ May 9, 2009 - 3:43 PM) *
QUOTE (rj8807 @ May 9, 2009 - 12:51 PM) *

a car build is a long term process, lightweight wheels will remain there way after the tires are gone, next tires can be the best tires on the market, tires get replace, and being honest, the amount of driving time he has on auto X, he won't be able to take advantage to its full potential of expensive tires just yet ( sorry tiga, not putting down your skills, is just you are relatively new to the sport )

Let me refrase my statement to further clarify my point: "I hope it's sticky tires and *cheap/inexpensive* wheels. best option IMO. Spend money on *used slicks and/or extremem performance street* tires. *Light weight/expensive* wheels dont win, tires do."

Another note, your point is severely backwards, even though it's different for every driver. Light weight wheels wont do sh!t for Tiga unless he is on the weight reduction process stage of the car build. Also, as stated earlier in the thread, budget is key at this point, and light weight wheels arnt cheap. The Street prepared class usually banks off of weight reduction, but then again, the Street prepared class is not exactly a *beginner* class due to the imense budget needed, that is dangerously close to the Street Modified budget. (which is painfully large)

As for him not being able to use the tires to there full potential, i can understand where your coming from, but when your using a set of new race tires (or used ones for that matter) you souly using them in autox or on the race track. They will wear, but not in one season. People who race at a higher level may be selling there tires when they still have life left in them, but they also need the optimal grip, which is earlier in the tire life. In autox, The Hoosier A6 can last for 3+ seasons, and even longer if you are starting out, and even LONGER if you have a car that is less than 200 hp.

I know people who race in stock class (only struts and race tires allowed) who use those tires to their full potential, as in, buy new almost 4 years ago.

Finally, I think extreme performane tires are good for biginning, even when you are allowed to use race slicks. Put them on another set of wheels, and use them only to drive down, race, and drive back, and you got a looonngg life expentancy.

--------------------

107 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:23 AM