post Oct 30, 2018 - 12:11 PM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

97 GT Convertible. 2.2L engine.

The accelerator pedal tends to stick when coming to a stop and shifting out of gear into neutral. The engine will idle around 2Krpm and if I blip the gas pedal with my foot it still stop and goes down below 1kRPM and is basically silent. It doesn't always do this, but has been doing it more lately.

Any ideas? I was gonna hit the throttlebody with the CHC throttlebody cleaner to see if it is all gunked up. Any other ideas? Thanks!
post Oct 30, 2018 - 1:48 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Make sure the cable isn't frayed at the TB or the pedal.

You can also try some WD-40 on the TB return spring after you clean it.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Oct 30, 2018 - 8:29 PM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

Thanks. I hit it with throttle body cleaner and it seems better. The cable has some slack though. But now I noticed the air I take tube is torn. It must be the original lol
post Oct 30, 2018 - 9:16 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

As mentioned check the cable and also make sure the tension is set properly. Could also be the IACV acting up, which likes to get gunked up over time.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2018 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 30, 2018 - 10:16 PM) *
As mentioned check the cable and also make sure the tension is set properly. Could also be the IACV acting up, which likes to get gunked up over time.

Thanks. It got better for awhile and came back. I got a can of chain lube and sprayed it into the opening of the cable. I also sprayed the wire "spring" that activates the throttle body. I sprayed the gas pedal spring itself as well and into the hole where the cable runs from the pedal.

I tried to thoroughly clean the throttle body and even used a long soft bristle brush to push into the throttle body to clean. I then wrapped an old cloth shirt around the brush and cleaned out all sorts of black crap. I sprayed TB cleaner down into the opening for the IACV yesterday and used an ear swab to clean down into the hole as far as I could. More black crap was on the ear swab. I have a feeling I need a new cable, a new IACV, or both lol. I didn't run it yesterday though, because I am waiting on a new TB coupler for my CAI.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:52 AM