> N00B O2 questions, O2 locations, quantity, & replacement
post Nov 30, 2018 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

I have some questions on the O2 sensor locations in my 1997 GT 2.2L. I ordered 2 new oxygen sensors, the "upstream" and "downstream" (thank you Rock Auto). I googled online and looked for videos, but couldn't find any info on this generation (as far as the sensor locations and how to replace).

I found a picture on the forums here. Is the top one the "upstream" and the lower one the "downstream"? Most of what I see online for other cars or generations of celica say the "downstream" is in the exhaust and under the car. This is why I am confused... Parts websites only list 2 O2 sensors for this car and they look like what is in the picture. I am struggling to find out how to post the picture, but it can be found in this link on this forum - http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...sor+replacement

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

post Dec 2, 2018 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Lol, why change them? Get under your car, follow the exhaust. You’ll find the sensors. You need a mechanics tool available at hardware store to remove the sensor. Some cars have one, some have 2. Depends on year model.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 2, 2018 - 9:59 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Dec 2, 2018 - 9:29 AM) *
Lol, why change them? Get under your car, follow the exhaust. You’ll find the sensors. You need a mechanics tool available at hardware store to remove the sensor. Some cars have one, some have 2. Depends on year model.

I’m replacing because the car has 255k miles and from what I can tell they have never been replaced. I also don’t think I’m getting the mpg I should be. I ordered the special socket/tool. Can’t get under the car right now as it’s parked next to a curb in the road by my house and I can’t drive it to move it since the intake of ant hooked up.
post Dec 3, 2018 - 2:03 PM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

is under car, next the pasaenger seat (right hand seat ). you have to move the seat to get to the inside plug.
post Dec 6, 2018 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

nothing special needed, I believe its a 13/16 wrench.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Dec 7, 2018 - 6:21 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

Thanks

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:01 AM