6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering wheel swap guide, this is not common "how-to" but just small guide...
post Sep 24, 2011 - 4:36 PM
+Quote Post
spy00005

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '09
From yonkers, NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arsaces @ Sep 24, 2011 - 5:06 PM) *
QUOTE (spy00005 @ Sep 24, 2011 - 1:58 AM) *
which steering wheel are you using because the old cc should fit just not going to be straight out would be angled down something like this \ mine defenatly fit but like i said im using the 7th gen leather wheel have no idea about the other ones ill see if i can take a pic tomorrow.

The ebay listing says that it is off of an 03 celica, but it looks more like a rav4 wheel to me, no leather wrapping, just the same material as our e-brake. The CC off of my car has 3 mounting screws, but the new wheel only has 2 mounting holes, and the mounting area is much smaller making it so that the old one will not fit.

IIRC I just used 1 screw to mount mine and made sure it was decently tight no need for all 3 screws I'll go to my car and take a pic give me like 30 mins

--------------------
*Thing i want for my car(i wish i had money)*
-full gt4 front end conversion (DONE :) JUST NEEDS PAINT(next on to do list) -new seats all around
-riser blocks -fog lights -new radio and speakers all around
-full bodykit splitters and sideskirts to go with conversion (just needs fitting and painting)
-nice rims (Got TC rims and painted them white)
-light blue tint (next step will do this right after i get my paint job)
WTB Reasonably priced
Projectors just Lows
post Sep 24, 2011 - 8:26 PM
+Quote Post
Arsaces

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '10
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arsaces @ Sep 24, 2011 - 4:06 PM) *
QUOTE (spy00005 @ Sep 24, 2011 - 1:58 AM) *
which steering wheel are you using because the old cc should fit just not going to be straight out would be angled down something like this \ mine defenatly fit but like i said im using the 7th gen leather wheel have no idea about the other ones ill see if i can take a pic tomorrow.

The ebay listing says that it is off of an 03 celica, but it looks more like a rav4 wheel to me, no leather wrapping, just the same material as our e-brake. The CC off of my car has 3 mounting screws, but the new wheel only has 2 mounting holes, and the mounting area is much smaller making it so that the old one will not fit.

Good information here:
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.ph...053#post5623053
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/archive/i...p/t-425770.html

I now know what I must do, when I get the resistors wired up and the switch working I will post back here to let you guys know smile.gif
post Sep 25, 2011 - 2:07 AM
+Quote Post
spy00005

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '09
From yonkers, NY
Currently Offline

talk about more than half an hour lol.
but here if it helps.

--------------------
-full gt4 front end conversion (DONE :) JUST NEEDS PAINT(next on to do list) -new seats all around
-full bodykit splitters and sideskirts to go with conversion (just needs fitting and painting)
WTB Reasonably priced
Projectors just Lows
post Sep 25, 2011 - 4:18 PM
+Quote Post
Arsaces

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '10
Currently Offline

I got my CC stalk all working. I tried to splice the wires and install it, but it ended up being a bit more involved than that. I figured this thread would be the best place for a writeup considering it is the most comprehensive guide to swapping steering wheels, correct me if I am wrong:

First off a little background information, our cruise stalk has 3 wires + the horn wire, the new cruise stalk has 2 + horn. Here is the wiring diagram for the 2, simplified:

As you can see, we will need to make some modifications, here is a redrawn diagram of what we need to do:

Now, on to the work, Cut the connector off of your 6gc stalk, giving yourself enough to solder onto. Then take your 7gc stalk, depin the yellow wire from the connector, and cut the white and red wires. You will need to pull the white part out of the stalk housing, there are 4 clips (2 on each side) that will need to be popped off. Slide the black wire cover off of the red and white wires. You will be left with this:

You will notice that there are 2 black wires coming off of the switch itself, these black wires are used to turn the CC on or off, and our diagram shows that we will want to cut the black wire off of the red wire.

Here are the new resistors soldered in. I noted that the factory resistors did not seem to be soldered in, they feel like they are pressed together, or something like that, I had to snip the leads. Notice that for the 420 ohm resistor I had to use 2, because I did not have that particular value of resistor on hand. Resistors in series can be added to each other, in my case I used a 270 and a 150 ohm resistor to make 420 ohms:

Now cut your yellow wire in half and solder up the connector using the following color codes:

7gc stalk----------------6gc connector
Black-----------------------White
White--------------------White/black
Red--------------------------Red
Yellow-----------------------Black

You will be left with this (my yellow wire is not pictured, because I took it off while experimenting):

And installed:

Thanks for everyone's help making this happen: specifically I would like to thank njccmd2002 for the resistance values, and jiggersplat form the supra forums for the wiring diagram.
Here are the sources I used for most of my information:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...7&hl=cruise
http://supraforums.com/forum/showthread.ph...053#post5623053
post Sep 26, 2011 - 5:47 AM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

You guys know if it's possible to plug an airbag wheel to a car that didn't came with one? I just bough a new 6gc but it has an aftermarket momo wheel on it, but I'd like to go back with an oem 6gc 3spoke cc/airbag/horn wheel. (if there is a model with all 3 options)
post Sep 26, 2011 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
Arsaces

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '10
Currently Offline

QUOTE (dudeofchaos @ Sep 26, 2011 - 5:47 AM) *
You guys know if it's possible to plug an airbag wheel to a car that didn't came with one? I just bough a new 6gc but it has an aftermarket momo wheel on it, but I'd like to go back with an oem 6gc 3spoke cc/airbag/horn wheel. (if there is a model with all 3 options)

Take off the steering wheel and take a picture. I would venture to guess that your car came stock with an airbag, and the connector, sensors, etc are probably still there. You might want to find out if the previous owner replaced the airbag because of a crash, if so you have to replace more than just the airbag.
post Sep 26, 2011 - 8:38 AM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arsaces @ Sep 26, 2011 - 9:25 AM) *

Take off the steering wheel and take a picture. I would venture to guess that your car came stock with an airbag, and the connector, sensors, etc are probably still there. You might want to find out if the previous owner replaced the airbag because of a crash, if so you have to replace more than just the airbag.

The guy said he bought it this way. (It's a Jdm 94 Gt-Four btw). But I'll ask him if he knows, I'm going to get it tomorrow.
post Sep 26, 2011 - 9:28 AM
+Quote Post
spy00005

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '09
From yonkers, NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (dudeofchaos @ Sep 26, 2011 - 9:38 AM) *

The guy said he bought it this way. (It's a Jdm 94 Gt-Four btw). But I'll ask him if he knows, I'm going to get it tomorrow.

For some GT-4 especially the first models airbag was optional i think it came standard after OBDII IIRC so your car might have never came with airbag but it SHOULD still have the connector back there for it make sure there like an airbag control under the armrest might want to make sure its there and does the passenger side have an air bag?

--------------------
WTB Reasonably priced
Projectors just Lows
post Sep 26, 2011 - 12:12 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (spy00005 @ Sep 26, 2011 - 10:28 AM) *
QUOTE (dudeofchaos @ Sep 26, 2011 - 9:38 AM) *

For some GT-4 especially the first models airbag was optional i think it came standard after OBDII IIRC so your car might have never came with airbag but it SHOULD still have the connector back there for it make sure there like an airbag control under the armrest might want to make sure its there and does the passenger side have an air bag?

Honestly I didn't pay attention to that, I guess I'll see if passenger side has it. But, you say there's an airbag control under the armrest? You mean under the whole plastic?
post Sep 26, 2011 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
spy00005

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '09
From yonkers, NY
Currently Offline

yea IIRC there is
http://www.6gc.net/howto/install_trd_quickshifter

you can see it in the 2nd pic and they confirm it if you read this somewhere there even thought that how to is unrelated to this =.

--------------------
WTB Reasonably priced
Projectors just Lows
post Sep 26, 2011 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

QUOTE (spy00005 @ Sep 26, 2011 - 2:52 PM) *
yea IIRC there is

you can see it in the 2nd pic and they confirm it if you read this somewhere there even thought that how to is unrelated to this =.

Oh, nice! Thanks, I'll look for that.
post Oct 27, 2011 - 3:41 PM
+Quote Post
xrav22

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 24, '08
From Canoga Park CA.
Currently Offline

QUOTE (dudeofchaos @ Sep 26, 2011 - 5:07 PM) *
QUOTE (spy00005 @ Sep 26, 2011 - 2:52 PM) *
yea IIRC there is

Oh, nice! Thanks, I'll look for that.

Hi guys I have been reading all this good info but I really just want to replace my 4 spoke wheel with airbag/cruise with a 3 spoke wheel .
From what I have been reading most like 7th gen(looks a bit better) and then splice and stuff. It seems a 98 or 99 3 spoke is not as nice looking but it will
plug and play. Is this correct? I am sure I can find one somewhere but I don't want to splice anything. Thx.
post Oct 27, 2011 - 4:39 PM
+Quote Post
spy00005

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '09
From yonkers, NY
Currently Offline

i think culpable04 is selling a 3 spoke GT4 steering wheel not sure of if it has airbags or splicing or anything though, maybe you could PM him.

--------------------
WTB Reasonably priced
Projectors just Lows
post Oct 27, 2011 - 9:17 PM
+Quote Post
xrav22

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 24, '08
From Canoga Park CA.
Currently Offline

QUOTE (spy00005 @ Oct 27, 2011 - 4:39 PM) *
i think culpable04 is selling a 3 spoke GT4 steering wheel not sure of if it has airbags or splicing or anything though, maybe you could PM him.

Can anyone confirm that a 98 or 99 will have the same connectors even though the wheel looks a little cheaper than 7th gen 3 spoke?
For my 97 that is. I am sure to find one at some junk yard here in socal.
post Apr 14, 2012 - 2:59 PM
+Quote Post
IllIllIll

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2, '07
From Little Rock, AR
Currently Offline

Thanks for posting all this information guys. This is the information I was looking for when I searched for steering wheel swaps.
I have one question that others probably have also.

Is there any other steering wheels & airbags that will work in the Celica?

So far the MR2 / Rav 4 / 7th gen Celica 3 spoke type steering wheel works. All these wheels look pretty much the same. I would bet that the TRD / Supra / Lexus / Altezza wheel would works as well since it looks to be about the same as the others.

What about other steering wheel airbag combos? I'm looking for a more modern sporty looking wheel wheel with audio controls on the wheel. Bluetooth controls would be awesome too.
post Apr 14, 2012 - 3:26 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

If you have a Pioneer head unit, I know they sell a cable to integrate your steering wheel controls with the radio. How much extra wiring would go into that for a Celica, I'm not sure. I think some Rav4's have a 3 post wheel with audio controls. Or, if you really want, I'd bet you could pick up a 7th gen steering wheel from an auto. They have the upshift/downshift buttons. I'd bet you could repin those so their function becomes volume up and down and seek/track buttons.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post May 3, 2012 - 4:08 PM
+Quote Post
IllIllIll

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2, '07
From Little Rock, AR
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 14, 2012 - 3:26 PM) *
If you have a Pioneer head unit, I know they sell a cable to integrate your steering wheel controls with the radio. How much extra wiring would go into that for a Celica, I'm not sure. I think some Rav4's have a 3 post wheel with audio controls. Or, if you really want, I'd bet you could pick up a 7th gen steering wheel from an auto. They have the upshift/downshift buttons. I'd bet you could repin those so their function becomes volume up and down and seek/track buttons.

I was thinking the same thing about the 7th Gen Celica wheel, since I want one anyway. I'm going to look in to this more. If I succeed I'll post it on here.
post May 31, 2012 - 9:57 PM
+Quote Post
fil

Enthusiast

Joined May 29, '12
From california
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Batman722 @ Feb 27, 2007 - 11:56 PM) *
I was lucky enough to get my hands on some 7th gen parts at a good price biggrin.gif

from this

and about an hour later this

sorry about the night pic, but I just finished. I'll get some day pics tomorrow or so.

Martin, the way I did it was easier than the way you did - no airbag repacking, just a splice here and there wink.gif also, I used the 7th gen cruise switch (it's wired different than the 6th gen) so I'm 99% sure it works, I just need to road test it.

can i install the whole steerin column with the steering wheel like batmans pic? will it fit ?
post Jun 13, 2012 - 12:24 PM
+Quote Post
WhipCreamCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 1, '12
From The Colony, TX
Currently Offline

do the 5th gen aftermarket steering wheel hubs fit our 6gcs?
post Jul 8, 2012 - 2:13 AM
+Quote Post
michlowrider

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 22, '11
From midstate michigan
Currently Offline

Just history now biggrin.gif. Since today I have this one wink.gif genuine 7th gen. Celica/91-04 MR2 st. wheel.

Malpaso and the others who have followed on this topic, This swap was next on my list, I came across your string and pictures, totally awesome! Just a huge "Thank you" for posting all that you have!
bowdown.gif

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:47 AM