> trunk release, releases, but doesnt pop
post Oct 8, 2007 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
Valo666

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '05
From Toronto
Currently Offline

One of the few problems left on the coupe is that when i pull up on the trunk release, it releases the latch, but doesnt actully pop the trunk up...so its pretty pointless unless some one is standing right behind the car and pulls up on the trunk while im holding the lever up. Same thing with when we put the key in the trunk, we have to hold the key turned, and then pull up on the trunk to get it to open. Is this common with coupes? or standard? I have never been near a coupe untill we got sarah's, so im still learning things about them as i go. Any ways, if this isnt suppost to be happening, any idea of how i can get it to pop??
post Oct 8, 2007 - 10:03 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

Your problem is the TRD spoiler. Its too heavy to pop the trunk up. I have the same issue. I pull the lever and go to the back and hope my door doesn't close because the trunk will lock again.

I guess with the addition if the spoiler you loose that bit of functionality.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Oct 8, 2007 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
RCTCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '05
From NYC
Currently Offline

this use to happen to my girls eclipse. i just tighten the release cable and the problem was corrected. i'm not too sure if it's the same with the coupe but the problem you described is pretty much the same.
post Oct 8, 2007 - 1:02 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

it's not just because of the TRD spoiler. A friend of mine has a 95 coupe with a stock spoiler and it does the same thing.

possible solutions are the struts back there are shot, or the release latch needs to be lubed up or adjusted, or the cable might need to be tightened.

if it were me I would try to lube and adjust the latch first, it's easy and quick. I'm pretty sure the latch on the coupe can be moved a bit lower and that might help.

--------------------
post Oct 8, 2007 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
Valo666

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '05
From Toronto
Currently Offline

yea it was doing the samethin b4 i put the trd spoiler on..even when i had the new trunk with no spoiler on...ill try lubing up the mechanism and the latch tonight.
post Oct 8, 2007 - 4:06 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

loosen the 2 bolts holding the latch mech and lower it as low as it can go.

--------------------
post Oct 8, 2007 - 6:15 PM
+Quote Post
NaderG

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '07
From riverside, ca
Currently Offline

my Vert does the same thing , i pull; on the lever and the trunk DOES NOT pop , it is opened though ; all i have to do is lift it .... i was going to fix it , but i kinda like it this way

This post has been edited by NaderG: Oct 8, 2007 - 6:16 PM
post Oct 8, 2007 - 9:06 PM
+Quote Post
goferris

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 14, '07
From Provo, UT USA
Currently Offline

hey i'm glad my car isn't the only one that has this problem and mine's a hatch. i don't think it's the struts it's gotta be the latch or the release cable. but it happens with the key in the back too. most likely the latch itself then. can anyone do a how to? i have no clue on what i would need to do to fix this as simple as it may be.

--------------------

Call me a traitor! See if I care. ;)
post Oct 9, 2007 - 10:16 AM
+Quote Post
Valo666

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '05
From Toronto
Currently Offline

i tryed adjusting the latch + the catch, but they cant be adjusted. I also lubed up and cleaned the catch cuz there was alot of dirt and grime in it. But i did notice that the cabel was a bit loose. Where would you adjust the cabel?...up near the lever under the drivers seat??
post Oct 11, 2007 - 5:16 PM
+Quote Post
Mangozac

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 13, '07
From Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Currently Offline

My hatch does the same thing. After having a quick play around with the latch a while ago I concluded that the problem is with the struts as they seem like they may be a little stiff. I've been too busy to do anything about it though. But I'll be interested what you guys decide...
post Oct 11, 2007 - 6:51 PM
+Quote Post
Valo666

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '05
From Toronto
Currently Offline

i dont think its the struts...even on my hatchback, my sturts were completely shot but the trunk still popped. Also the ones on the coupe are in good condition..one of them i pulled from a wreckers and it had some rust, but i did a quick sand on them and it compresses smooth. Im gonna pull the latch mechanism out tonight and clean up all the gunk inside of it..but just curious, where do you make the adjustment for the cabel??
post Oct 18, 2007 - 10:59 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

replacing the struts dont help much, i did that few months ago. Nothing. Maybe a combination of all>

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 18, 2007 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

i had the same problem, for me it was worn out struts (on my red coupe)
post Oct 18, 2007 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
94celigts

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 13, '07
From Whitby, ON, CAN
Currently Offline

could you somehow fabricate two small stronger springs at each front corner of the trunk so that when you close the trunk they rest on the outter metal where the water goes. Thus when you release your trunk these springs will pop up the trunk just enough to pass the latch?

I dont know what the trunk looks like for the coupe but for the HB im sure it wouldnt be a hard thing to do?
post Oct 18, 2007 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
kerosene

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 4, '07
From US
Currently Offline

mine pops up, but doesnt go up... i think its a little to heavy because of the dynamat layers i have...im thinking about doing a spring fabrication along with new posts to raise it up...something more powerfull... same as the hood will have...
post Oct 26, 2007 - 4:14 PM
+Quote Post
Mangozac

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 13, '07
From Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
Currently Offline

If I get a chance over the weekend I'll have a play with the latch again (see if I can't move it down more). I'll let you guys know how it goes...
post Oct 27, 2007 - 11:21 AM
+Quote Post
punkuup5150

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '07
From lodi, ca
Currently Offline

i actually like that mine doesnt pop just because of my subs i have in the back. if a theif is workign by them selves and they dont know about the celica they will pull on the release and the trunk wont open. when it doesnt they will be on there happy way with hopefully only your stereo lol. i know its a bit of a hassel but if u put a a grand in to your stereo system and want to protect it this is a great way to do it imo.
post Oct 27, 2007 - 11:42 AM
+Quote Post
kerosene

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 4, '07
From US
Currently Offline

QUOTE(punkuup5150 @ Oct 27, 2007 - 11:21 AM) [snapback]608798[/snapback]

i actually like that mine doesnt pop just because of my subs i have in the back. if a theif is workign by them selves and they dont know about the celica they will pull on the release and the trunk wont open. when it doesnt they will be on there happy way with hopefully only your stereo lol. i know its a bit of a hassel but if u put a a grand in to your stereo system and want to protect it this is a great way to do it imo.

or 4k.... ^^ ou can lock the trunk release using the key in back... but you can get in through the seats... even though its hard to fit....
post Oct 27, 2007 - 12:21 PM
+Quote Post
punkuup5150

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '07
From lodi, ca
Currently Offline

yeah my box is a wee bit to big to fit through the seat hole my amp barly fits and if they coudl get it out through there it weighs 70 pounds lol be a bit hard to pull out hehehe i made it for that purpose lol lots of people around here like to steal systems and re sell them lol
post Oct 27, 2007 - 1:25 PM
+Quote Post
kerosene

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 4, '07
From US
Currently Offline

yep.... thats how its supposed to be done, dont give them a way to pull it out...and then if your trunk is locked, they will ever get it... even the amp, theres a way to hide that.... with cars like ours, you make a custom box... sub on passanger side, and then a encased amp on driverside, then attach the 2 buggers...full hatch... and then you take the fiberglass cover and make sure it covers it, dont want someone breaking your windows..... also dont forget alarm..

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:38 PM