6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 346 347 348 349 350 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Nov 17, 2019 - 9:50 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Very odd. I wonder if there's a failing component on the board or a bad solder joint that simply flexing/moving/heating/cooling the board "fixes" or "breaks" it? When it's not working try warming different areas with a hair dryer to see if that makes it work or not. Some Asus boards had an issue with a bad resistor that worked when warm/hot but did not when cold, causing the boards to not work but then work fine later.

--------------------
post Nov 17, 2019 - 11:49 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

There is more flex in the mobo than I’d like, I notice it when messing with connectors. There is one spot for a screw that isn’t filled but the case doesn’t provide a hole for a stand there. I had a similar thought but I’m just hoping it won’t appear again.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 18, 2019 - 10:44 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

Memory issues manifest in strange ways.

If you want a new rig on the cheap, you can buy an older Z620 on amazon for about $600. Dual xeon procs, 32+gb RAM, generally a single SSD with Win10Pro, and can accept most graphics cards. The power supply even has the provisions to power a pair of graphics cards.

I bought one with 64gb of RAM, slapped in three 500GB SSD’s in a RAID5 config, installed a GTX1660, and now I have a gaming rig/Workstation/Plex server for well under $1000.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Nov 18, 2019 - 12:12 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Surprised to see you post. I wouldn’t know, this was my first build in 2015 and I haven’t really had to touch it since. MemTest didn’t show any errors and supposedly that’s the best test. :dunno: That setup sounds real fast, my rig could use a SSD as well but it boots and generally loads quick enough for me. I get to the desktop in aboot 10 seconds. Either way I'm sticking with this setup, I could barely afford to replace the PSU, much less something like the GPU if it bricks.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 18, 2019 - 12:36 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 19, 2019 - 1:52 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

If you’ve got extra RAM laying around, or can order a couple sticks on the cheap, I’d swap them out. First thing I would check if it doesn’t boot up is pull ALL the RAM out and boot it up. It should produce an annoying beep error. If that happens then you know the system will POST (Power On Self Test). Memory can foul up just about everything, so it’s good to have a couple extra DIMMs laying around to eliminate variables such as the actual DIMM, or even a channel on the board.

SSD. Yes. Do it. Get something like the Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO 860. SSD’s have a finite lifespan in terms of data read/write, but it’s into the hundreds of terabytes, so you’ll be fine. The speed boost alone is worth the price of admission.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Nov 19, 2019 - 12:46 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

I love my WD Black M.2 SSD. Boots up my computer before I move my finger off of the power button after turning it on.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 19, 2019 - 1:23 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 17, 2019 - 1:49 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 17, 2019 - 4:28 AM) *
Rotary are actually easier on you because they don't shake side to side. The DA gets tiring on larger projects pretty quickly...but I also have a low end DA with a low end backing plate because I STILL cannot find the good backing plate I bought for it and that's really pissing me off still.

Hmm, that makes sense. Maybe they make dinky hand rotaries too. laugh.gif

They actually do. Typically on air and they're small enough for 1 to 3" pads.

Rotaries make quick work of hard clear coats (or rough wetsanding) that DAs can't touch, so it's nice to have one in your arsenal if you do a lot of detailing work.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 19, 2019 - 5:04 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

So help me out here, going to try and get parts for building one on a budget of up to $1500 (PC alone) w/ Black Friday sales coming up.
One of my buddies stumbled upon PC part picker which I liked their build --> https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Thwrxr/excel...streaming-build

Thoughts on this? Can it be better for the same price?

Goal of the build is to eventually do some VR; but for now the heaviest taxing game I would play is GTAV.
post Nov 19, 2019 - 7:03 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 19, 2019 - 2:04 PM) *
So help me out here, going to try and get parts for building one on a budget of up to $1500 (PC alone) w/ Black Friday sales coming up.
One of my buddies stumbled upon PC part picker which I liked their build --> https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/Thwrxr/excel...streaming-build

Goal of the build is to eventually do some VR; but for now the heaviest taxing game I would play is GTAV.

If you’re building anything to game, you should only be looking at i7’s. I’d also look at a Corsair liquid cooler.

The SSD is a no name brand. I’d stick to a Samsung EVO or Crucial MX.

--------------------

**** Photobucket
post Nov 19, 2019 - 10:10 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Nov 19, 2019 - 12:23 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 17, 2019 - 1:49 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 17, 2019 - 4:28 AM) *
Rotary are actually easier on you because they don't shake side to side. The DA gets tiring on larger projects pretty quickly...but I also have a low end DA with a low end backing plate because I STILL cannot find the good backing plate I bought for it and that's really pissing me off still.

Hmm, that makes sense. Maybe they make dinky hand rotaries too. laugh.gif

They actually do. Typically on air and they're small enough for 1 to 3" pads.

Rotaries make quick work of hard clear coats (or rough wetsanding) that DAs can't touch, so it's nice to have one in your arsenal if you do a lot of detailing work.

Awesome. Though I whole heartedly plan on getting a NC Miata with decent paint so I don't have to mess with it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 19, 2019 - 10:55 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Casey, I got that Reaper Salsa. I mixed it in with nacho cheese and it's still got a punch to it wooo. It's an effective decongestant.

You'll want to fix up any car you get lol. I just need to figure out what glass polish to get, get the real ceriglass or make my own from powder for a little cheaper or do both, get the ceriglass AND mix in some powder to make it cut faster/easier.

--------------------
post Nov 19, 2019 - 11:44 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Nov 19, 2019 - 5:04 PM) *

I’ve been happy with my i5, but I chose that four years ago and even then it wasn’t close to new. That setup should run GTA V at max settings, but for headroom and newer games I would do i7 as well.

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 19, 2019 - 1:52 AM) *
If you’ve got extra RAM laying around, or can order a couple sticks on the cheap, I’d swap them out. First thing I would check if it doesn’t boot up is pull ALL the RAM out and boot it up. It should produce an annoying beep error. If that happens then you know the system will POST (Power On Self Test). Memory can foul up just about everything, so it’s good to have a couple extra DIMMs laying around to eliminate variables such as the actual DIMM, or even a channel on the board.

SSD. Yes. Do it. Get something like the Crucial MX500 or Samsung EVO 860. SSD’s have a finite lifespan in terms of data read/write, but it’s into the hundreds of terabytes, so you’ll be fine. The speed boost alone is worth the price of admission.

I don’t have extra parts laying around, this was my only build and beside the PSU, haven’t had to replace anything, though I want to RMA the card. I never tried to start without any RAM at all, thanks for the suggestion. It was probably a fluke, maybe I made a mistake with the memory installation. I’m not sure if I connected the mobo speaker wire, don’t think I’ve ever heard it.

Also on a side note, apparently I’ve been mounting PSUs incorrectly. I always thought the fan should point up but that’s not the case (ha!).

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 19, 2019 - 11:54 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 20, 2019 - 4:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 19, 2019 - 9:55 PM) *
Casey, I got that Reaper Salsa. I mixed it in with nacho cheese and it's still got a punch to it wooo. It's an effective decongestant.

You'll want to fix up any car you get lol. I just need to figure out what glass polish to get, get the real ceriglass or make my own from powder for a little cheaper or do both, get the ceriglass AND mix in some powder to make it cut faster/easier.

Ooh, yes I already killed off my ghost pepper so I could use some reaper.

Yeah probably, but the less I have to do the better. More time to drive again. Though lately I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about going cheap on the replacement car and put the money towards stuff like cute clothes and obnoxiously expensive synthesizers. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 20, 2019 - 8:24 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Ok there, keyboard cat.

--------------------
post Nov 20, 2019 - 3:27 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

But look at it!

That'd bring me way more happiness and enjoyment than an equally as expensive car ever could.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 20, 2019 - 9:49 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I mean I do like a good organ, electric or otherwise. RIP Jon Lord.
https://youtu.be/XFxyY_C9pho hey look a cover of electric organ on a non electric organ. Orgception!

Also I caved and bought another Griots vented backing plate, I never did find mine but since I bought a new one I'm sure I'll find it now! I think the cheaper one I bought has a wobble to it, the Griots is nicely vented and a little heavier but still flexible but in a nicer feeling way. Being vented it won't get hot and ruin pads, as if I could ever run it that hard lol.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 20, 2019 - 10:12 PM

--------------------
post Nov 20, 2019 - 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Shame, losing lots of the old greats now... Ah yes. I like me some organ too, sadly you're limited to expensive digital ones, expensive analogue ones that're old and temperamental, or old analogue ones nobody wants because they're cheap and cheesy with small manuals. I want to play a cathedral pipe organ one of these days, like this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FHNLdHe8uxY

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 20, 2019 - 11:25 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Organs are awesome instruments, so under rated and my goodness they can get LOW! Some of those low notes are earth shaking low and you really do need a sub to truly appreciate them.

--------------------
post Nov 20, 2019 - 11:46 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Since organs are just a bunch of sine waves I've been able to emulate them with my SY77 FM synthesizer, since it'll let you do two groups of 6 sine waves if you want. Sine waves are only one harmonic frequency, which is why they're so bassy. Sub bass is usually pure sine and/or has sine as a sub oscillator. What's really fun to do is on the Bass Station II you can have 3 sine waves at different octaves, and you can make the filter self oscillate to make another sine and track it to the keyboard plus the filter boosts the bass harmonics while at it if you get the cutoff just right. Huge house rattling sound through a 15" woofer. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 21, 2019 - 8:45 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Or car rattling sound! LOL. Gonna bump like it's 1793.

--------------------

400 Pages V  « < 346 347 348 349 350 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:02 PM