6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 348 349 350 351 352 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Nov 27, 2019 - 2:26 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That's a band though. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 27, 2019 - 5:35 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That's ok I'm stupid, beyond stupid... I sent requests to old friends from new Facebook(under alias atm with real name notated on profile), and they accepted so I sent messages asking how they're doing so inevitably it got to how I'm doing. So I told them everything. The love, support and acceptance had me in tears, that and how much time I've thrown away because of me getting distant towards everyone... Like I knew they probably would; same deal with mom, bff, and all you here... Was still afraid since you never know...

On a similar note apparently my stepsister told my father, and allegedly he's happy for me. So will be going there Thursday, since doing stuff here with mom today.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 28, 2019 - 11:59 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 26, 2019 - 11:15 PM) *
QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 26, 2019 - 12:39 AM) *
Since my workstation is basically a server, finding RAM is a bit of a challenge. ECC Reg RAM isn't particularly cheap, and dual proc boards eat double the amount of RAM.

Scored a 64GB kit for $130, which is when I found that my Proc 1 riser only has provisions for 4 sticks of RAM, versus the 8 slots the main board has for Proc 0.

So now I have 80GB of ram. That should be enough for now.

I’m not even using all 8 with gaming...wtf do you edit/design?

That doesn’t take into account the 6GB of GPU.

Plex server with GPU-accelerated transcoding, photoshop, steam, games, a billion tabs of Chrome, etc.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Nov 29, 2019 - 10:51 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 27, 2019 - 4:35 AM) *
That's ok I'm stupid, beyond stupid... I sent requests to old friends from new Facebook(under alias atm with real name notated on profile), and they accepted so I sent messages asking how they're doing so inevitably it got to how I'm doing. So I told them everything. The love, support and acceptance had me in tears, that and how much time I've thrown away because of me getting distant towards everyone... Like I knew they probably would; same deal with mom, bff, and all you here... Was still afraid since you never know...

On a similar note apparently my stepsister told my father, and allegedly he's happy for me. So will be going there Thursday, since doing stuff here with mom today.

Just checking in you made it back alive from your family gathering. laugh.gif People are generally less terrible than you anticipate them to be, you seem like good people and despite your **** luck seem to have been able to collect good people around you.

So I caved and bought a CPU new in box with cooler. Something I haven't done since I bought my E8400 Core2Duo that long ago. This will be my first AMD system since my Slot A Athlon 700mhz. I bought an R7 2700X, after weighing the cost difference, discounts, performance difference, and future proofing of getting 8 core vs 6 core I decided the extra $35 was worth it. It came with a choice of one of 2 games and a 3 month Xbox pass which I can also sell off. Just to torture myself I picked the slow shipping for Friday though, which is good because I have no way to mount the cooler and don't have the repair parts for my board yet either and I am NOT going to try to install it on a janky topless socket and risk damaging both board and CPU. I can wait! I need to clean the computer room (yes, I'm old, deal with it) before I can rebuild ANY of my current systems. I think I'll use the water cooled case for this build because I adore that case so much, but I can't decide if I should water cool the CPU or if I should water cool my GPU. The loop in there now can't handle both but I could Frankenstein it to probably handle both with some junk parts from some old appliance I have laying around. How janky should I make this system!? biggrin.gif

--------------------
post Nov 29, 2019 - 11:45 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (95CelicaST @ Nov 28, 2019 - 11:59 PM) *

Plex server with GPU-accelerated transcoding, photoshop, steam, games, a billion tabs of Chrome, etc.

If you put it that way, then I’m working with a whopping 11gb. rolleyes.gif I don’t see over 80% RAM (nor CPU, really) usage for my applications, so your setup is still ridiculous to me. What kind of load do you get when you’re running the most intense process? I guess I play lean and rarely run a lot of tabs or applications even.

Bitter, want to see pics of that project.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 29, 2019 - 11:46 AM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 29, 2019 - 7:05 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 29, 2019 - 8:45 AM) *

If you put it that way, then I’m working with a whopping 11gb. rolleyes.gif I don’t see over 80% RAM (nor CPU, really) usage for my applications, so your setup is still ridiculous to me. What kind of load do you get when you’re running the most intense process? I guess I play lean and rarely run a lot of tabs or applications even.

This is with Lightroom, two Chrome tabs, and GTAV running via Steam. Not necessarily as hot as it runs when I'm crunching, but an example load on the workstation.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Nov 29, 2019 - 10:14 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 29, 2019 - 10:45 AM) *

Well I have something of the current config of the Koolance case, it's a little worn in some places but I consider it patina since it's almost as old as my 7th gen Celica. In it now is a Xeon X3470 with 8GB DDR3 1600 and a GTX 950 2GB. I just threw a system into it to make sure it all worked and to work on fabbing a bracket for the Koolance water block. It can do 4ghz across all 4 cores in Prime95 small FFT and do it stable BUT it runs hot like 80C+ and sucks down around 300W+ power to do it. It's a phenomenal amount of power and heat consumed and expelled, I see water temps get around 44-46C running full tilt like that. Luckily the Gigabyte board I'm using has good VRM cooling and I have the rear 80MM fans flipped to blow air at a diverter and across the board so it all stays cool enough to be safe. All that heat and power is pretty **** though, the IPC is weak on first gen Core architecture compared to modern CPU's with modern instruction sets. It's more just for show/fun currently. I'm pretty sure I can effectively cool the R7 2700X even with a slight OC on it. I'd like it to be able to do 4.5 single core and 4.0-4.2 all core without insane power consumption/heat but we'll see. The water cooler is completely ignorant of the motherboard though, the pump is a constant volume and the fans are controlled by the board in the top of the case from the thermistor in the water block bottom. My plan is to either end up gutting the Koolance setup and saving it in a box somewhere and run 3x 80mm Noctua fans from a header/splitter and modern pump with variable speeds through a thicker radiator mounted at the top like it is now or if the pump can do it adding extra radiator to the side of the case with stand offs and some extra 120MM fans keyed to CPU temp. I have an old dehumidifier which has the right tube size to match to the silicone tube I'm using currently. I'm not sure the pump has enough head to run through a long radiator like that one though so I'll probably skip that idea and figure out something else more realistic.
Ye Olde Block.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...88f202d4983.jpg
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...7353d45e215.jpg
I made some jank mount for the water block but it works well enough, good mounting pressure that's fairly even too. I got a dead board with some RAM and CPU that's good so I used the dead board to fab the mounting and not worry about ****ing things up. I used aluminum stock and threaded rod, ugly but effective.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...1a7f94261e1.jpg
System with it's temperature responsive LED lighting lol just jammed a LED strip lead into the fan header voltage for the CPU fan and let the fan header run the strip.
https://youtu.be/-oQsggzUO1Q
I also like doing big parts in small cases lol.
https://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/mont...c7ef7eb4416.jpg

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 29, 2019 - 10:37 PM

--------------------
post Nov 29, 2019 - 11:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 29, 2019 - 9:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 27, 2019 - 4:35 AM) *

Just checking in you made it back alive from your family gathering. laugh.gif People are generally less terrible than you anticipate them to be, you seem like good people and despite your **** luck seem to have been able to collect good people around you.

So I caved and bought a CPU new in box with cooler. Something I haven't done since I bought my E8400 Core2Duo that long ago. This will be my first AMD system since my Slot A Athlon 700mhz. I bought an R7 2700X, after weighing the cost difference, discounts, performance difference, and future proofing of getting 8 core vs 6 core I decided the extra $35 was worth it. It came with a choice of one of 2 games and a 3 month Xbox pass which I can also sell off. Just to torture myself I picked the slow shipping for Friday though, which is good because I have no way to mount the cooler and don't have the repair parts for my board yet either and I am NOT going to try to install it on a janky topless socket and risk damaging both board and CPU. I can wait! I need to clean the computer room (yes, I'm old, deal with it) before I can rebuild ANY of my current systems. I think I'll use the water cooled case for this build because I adore that case so much, but I can't decide if I should water cool the CPU or if I should water cool my GPU. The loop in there now can't handle both but I could Frankenstein it to probably handle both with some junk parts from some old appliance I have laying around. How janky should I make this system!? biggrin.gif

Family gathering didn't happen(brother had a migraine), but did end up going to dad's yesterday and that went better than expected. Said he loves me and just wants me to be happy, and we talked about when it started for me etc... My brother said maybe he's finally growing up, so who knows maybe things will finally be decent between us.

Hmm... I say Frankenstein: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8f-Qb-bwlU

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2019 - 10:58 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

That's probably a big weight off your shoulders, congrats on getting some more family acceptance! I (and I'm sure we all) hope things start looking more up for you from here on out.

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2019 - 1:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 30, 2019 - 9:58 AM) *
That's probably a big weight off your shoulders, congrats on getting some more family acceptance! I (and I'm sure we all) hope things start looking more up for you from here on out.

Yes, it is! One less thing to stress out over. Still have external family at Christmas, but here's to hoping. Thanks! Things are steadily getting better, so thats a nice change of pace. My brother finally got ahold of the paint and body guy to schedule the Firebird for Thursday, so get that done finally so it can be sold for synths... I mean a Miata.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2019 - 1:56 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Load Miata sounds into Synth, make car music, upload to youtube, monetize channel, profit, buy real Miata.

--------------------
post Nov 30, 2019 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Haha, that could definitely be a new genre of its own. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Box: Nov 30, 2019 - 2:43 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2019 - 8:27 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

My brother made me cry, in a good way:

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 30, 2019 - 11:08 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Legit thought that was some fancy booze. Also,

Red nails? You basic ass bitch. LOL

--------------------
post Dec 1, 2019 - 12:02 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Perfume, that smells pretty! The box is cool too.

Lol, they're "red ocean pearl" and are actually more on the magenta side. I thought I'd try some shade of red since I had yet to for a change of pace.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 1, 2019 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I shouldn't talk smack, I've never painted my nails. laugh.gif
Erins hair is purpley-dark red and it looks pretty cool, it's the most awesome looking when the purple is JUST done and it's this metallic sheen purple in the sun, amazing looking!

That's the one she uses. Then we touch up with Arctic Fox Ritual red but she got a purple and an orange from them now too that'll be fun to see. Arctic Fox is only semi-permanent but you can mix it with your conditioner to keep the tint going I guess, and it doesn't smell awful or ruin your hair from over-use.

--------------------
post Dec 1, 2019 - 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yup, Arctic Fox is what I'd used last. Purple Rain, Girl's Night, Violet Dream, and Aquamarine. Which I had it trimmed a couple of weeks ago and it removed most all the bleached hair, of course you'd never know I removed 3-6 inches of hair just by looking at me if you didn't know me. laugh.gif I was going to share a pic, but it looks like I'm showing off boobs and not my hair. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Box: Dec 1, 2019 - 12:49 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 2, 2019 - 1:33 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Well, it's the first birthday as the new me... I think for the first time in a very long time, happy birthday will actually be meaningful.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 2, 2019 - 8:48 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Happy Birthday.

--------------------
post Dec 2, 2019 - 9:15 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Happy Birthday Casey!

QUOTE (Box @ Dec 2, 2019 - 1:33 AM) *
I think for the first time in a very long time, happy birthday will actually be meaningful.

I hope it's not only meaningful, but that you actually enjoy it too.

--------------------
~bloodMoney

400 Pages V  « < 348 349 350 351 352 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:04 PM