6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Running Scion tC wheels without spacers?
post Dec 7, 2017 - 11:04 AM
+Quote Post
Scootworth

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 7, '17
From Virginia
Currently Offline

First post here! Just picked up a 95 Celica ST the other day and noticed it needed new tires pretty soon. I decided I might as well update the rims as they're the OEM 14" ones. Now then...

I've looked at a quite a few different postings about wheel fitment and most all of them have wheel spacers as something they ran. Are spacers mandatory for our cars? There's a local guy selling tC rims/tyres 17s all around (225/45-17). If I were to simply put these on my car without using spacers, would I encounter rubbing or contact issues? Trying to avoid using spacers due to the extra stress it causes. Just figured I'd ask before I go out and buy new wheels! Any advice appreciated!
post Dec 7, 2017 - 6:20 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's probably not what you want to hear, but the last thing a ST needs is big heavy rims. Mine before I bought it from my uncle had tC rims on it and as far as I know he didn't use spacers, there wasn't any rubbing that I can recall some five years ago. I did a quick search and Celica is +35mm and the tC is +45mm so they'd be sunken in without a spacer according to what everyone said. At any rate before I bought it the factory aluminum 14" rims were put back on and you could actually spin the tires again and it did feel quicker off the line, the 14" alloys were stupid light though in comparison. If you don't particularly care and only want the look then you should be fine with a 10-15mm or so spacer, though personally I'd find a lightweight 16" and put good tires on it so then you get improved handling and looks without hurting any other aspects.

The other thing about heavy wheels is it also negatively effects how your suspension works.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Dec 11, 2017 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
Scootworth

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 7, '17
From Virginia
Currently Offline

Ah I see, all makes sense. I think I may split the difference and try and find some light 16s that fit nicely as to not hinder the suspension and acceleration much. Thanks!
post Dec 13, 2017 - 3:01 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

TC rims look nice but as box said, they are heavy.
If you want something simple, try and find some 7th gen gts rims.
thats what I have on mine. they are sleek, OEM and lighter than TC rims.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Dec 24, 2017 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

I have tC wheels on my car with 15mm spacers. They look nice as they sit closer to the edge of the car looking less sunken in. I'm planning to switch them out later on down the road though.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 2:37 PM