> Dash Cams anyone?
post Feb 17, 2014 - 3:21 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

I'm thinking of delving into the dash cam territory to be used while I drive and as a motion detector while the car is parked.

Ive been eyeing the Lukas LK7900 ACE lately, but it is on the higher spectrum of the price range.

I'm not sure whether I need any GPS feature, but 1080P is a must. I've been looking at 720P footage on YouTube and the quality isn't that good. Even in daylight, some cameras can't really show license plates in 720P. I'll probably have to compromise on the night time vision of dash cams as they're all not the greatest either.

Who of you are currently dash cams? Your thoughts?
post Feb 17, 2014 - 6:37 PM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

I don't necessarily need a dash cam, but after I end up buying the more needed things like engine and suspension, if money allows, I'll pick up a GoPro as well. It will not limit it's use just as a dash cam, from White to Black they all have 1080p and the quality is good.

--------------------
FS thread : Custom Celica parts made to order + more

Click the image to visit my FB page

post Feb 21, 2014 - 11:30 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

I found a list of some good cheap ones a while back (under $100), it was a review of all of them. The one that I bought (G1W) had a known problem that was in the review, but didn't always happen. Unfortunately I was the lucky one that it happened to again, it shows some weird memory error when exposed to light shift (like coming out of a tunnel). I'm temped to get another one since it was only $50. Great quality, 1080P, supports up to 32GB cards, and has motion sensing. It did die though. That's my only experience with dashcams. I'm looking at probably getting a dual cam model with front and rear cameras.

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Feb 22, 2014 - 4:59 AM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

Dashcamtalk.com is where I did a bit of research. I also have been perusing the dashcam thread on revscene.net (local car enthusiast website).

Dashcams are a hard one to choose, as there aren't many big companies that make reputable units, and they still seem to be in their infancy. Breaking within a year seems to be their normal life-cycle as well. But I figure if I spend a decent amount on a good unit, it'll pay off after an incident or two if I'm not at fault.

As for a 2 channel system, I've thought about it with the BlackVue 500 or 550 (whichever it is), but there's a known problem that the rear camera will interfere with your radio signals because the manufacturer hasn't used properly insulated wiring. Apparently buying ferrite clips will prevent this.

I may hold off until the summer so that I can properly wire it, and at the same time have all my seats removed to properly re-wire my stereo amp and install some sound deadening material, as well as perform an antenna mod. So much to do!
post Mar 13, 2014 - 9:09 PM
+Quote Post
199celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 29, '11
From chino, Ca
Currently Offline

I have a contour roam and I love it the sound quality isn't to great but I don't need audio I just want to see what I am doing
post Mar 14, 2014 - 11:16 AM
+Quote Post
yellowchinaman

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 11, '08
From London
Currently Offline

Ive been looking into this for years but never settled on one because they're all similar and made on a budget meaning they're all really not that good unless you pay big bucks.
Also the motion sensor thing is crap. Al dash cams end up powering down. Some after X amount of time. Most as soon as the engine is killed. And when it's down it doesn't motion detect and record so its rubbish if your car gets hit whilst parked up cos it won't record.
Unless you hard wire it to the battery for a permanent feed that is but that will drain your battery.

Im still on a look out for one with an on board battery which charges when you drive and runs on it's own battery when engine is off.
post Mar 14, 2014 - 11:32 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Mar 14, 2014 - 6:16 AM) *
Ive been looking into this for years but never settled on one because they're all similar and made on a budget meaning they're all really not that good unless you pay big bucks.
Also the motion sensor thing is crap. Al dash cams end up powering down. Some after X amount of time. Most as soon as the engine is killed. And when it's down it doesn't motion detect and record so its rubbish if your car gets hit whilst parked up cos it won't record.
Unless you hard wire it to the battery for a permanent feed that is but that will drain your battery.

Im still on a look out for one with an on board battery which charges when you drive and runs on it's own battery when engine is off.

the ones I've seen have internal batteries and do record when they don't have power and the motion sensor is activated. I just ordered another cheap one with motion sensing and an internal battery. If the $100> ones have batteries I'm sure the $300< will too. DVR027, and G1W are both less than $50 and have an internal battery. But I'm not sure if you want a cheap one, personally I don't mind getting cheap ones.

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Mar 16, 2014 - 3:38 PM
+Quote Post
yellowchinaman

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 11, '08
From London
Currently Offline

Keep me updated with this. Id like to see how it works out. Fornme I mainly want to catch basters to hit and run when im parked up.
post Mar 16, 2014 - 4:12 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (yellowchinaman @ Mar 16, 2014 - 10:38 AM) *
Keep me updated with this. Id like to see how it works out. Fornme I mainly want to catch basters to hit and run when im parked up.

yes! for sure!! Someone ran into my car in a parking lot trying to park and messed up my fender. If I had a dash cam it would have caught it. I hate seeing that dent every time I go to my car.

--------------------
-Jay

post Mar 17, 2014 - 2:59 AM
+Quote Post
rentaspace

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 23, '12
From Australia
Currently Offline

Most cheap dashcam a give a good daytime image but nighttime is terrible. They blow out the light on signs and license plates making them unreadable.
I am still researching to find a suitable replacement for my one

--------------------

------------------------------| White '94 Celica | Bought 11/05/12 | Sold 12/05/15 |------------------------------
------------------------------| White '02 N-Edition Caldina | Weekend Car |------------------------------
post Mar 18, 2014 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
yellowchinaman

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 11, '08
From London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rentaspace @ Mar 17, 2014 - 2:59 AM) *
Most cheap dashcam a give a good daytime image but nighttime is terrible. They blow out the light on signs and license plates making them unreadable.
I am still researching to find a suitable replacement for my one

http://www.techmoan.com/

I fallow this review site quite a bit and I bought a cheap action cam a few months ago for my NZ tour. SJ1000
TBH if you look at everything released in the last year or so, on one really has that problem of not being able to read number plates due to light.
At most, they have difficulty adjusting focus to light when going from dark to light but that's more to do with the software.
Truth is a lot of so called "cheap cams" are actually very good but people forget they are cheap and aren't designed to last or have a lot of functions.

Look at the Mobius. Its one of the cheapest no thrills camera but sets a high bench mark in quality in visual and audio.

This post has been edited by yellowchinaman: Mar 18, 2014 - 7:45 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:32 PM