6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Onnaj's 1998 Celica ST to 4AGE 20V Blacktop conversion, Next project: C160 LSD 6-speed gearbox :)
post Sep 16, 2013 - 10:05 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Some little updates...sorry no pictures this time biggrin.gif

Last week i had a trip of about 400 km back and forth and i was very pleased with the fuel consumption. I did 36.46 MPG! Never had such a result with my 7AFE, so the 4AGE did very well.
Overall with the normal driving and mostly short distance the fuel consumption is about equal to the 7AFE. I think normally i achieve about 28 MPG.

I had 2 leakages at the engine. 1 on the VVT sensor and one is around the distributor. The VVT sensor leakage is solved. I replaced the oring 3 times, but still had leakage. Then i found out the housing itself was leaking, so i've ended up buying and installing a new sensor. So that leakage is stopped.

I've also ordered a new oring for the distributor, but i don't know if that'll solve the problem. From what i remember i've also replaced that oring already. Maybe i didn't use enough sealant on the valve cover or another possibility is that the leaking comes all the way from the oil cap. Seems to be a common problem on the blacktop.

So what happened to the 6 speed gearbox? The planning is to change it the first weekend of october. Can't wait to that!

Then i want to change the exhaust. I've decided to keep the aftermarket 2.0 3SGE muffler and to custom make the middle section into 2.25".

Then it's over for the changes, at least things that i want to do soon. I still want some lightweight rims and SS3 splitters, but i;m not in a hurry for that.

--------------------
post Jan 23, 2014 - 4:35 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Long time no updates so here we go with some little updates:

I've tectylated (hope that's the right term) the underside of the car to prevent it from rusting:

Besides that i thought it was time to grab a HKS SLD. I live about 5 km from the german border and i hate it that with 180 km/h it's all over. Not that i drive that often, but when i want i don't want to have the speed limiter. Installation was a piece of cake. After that i 'quickly' tried a topspeed run and it goes about 211 km/h on gps (220+ on tacho) in 4th gear. When changing to 5th gear it keeps the speed but doesn't want to go any faster. That's the disadvantage of the C52 gearbox with the exteme long 5th gear incombination with the 20V. I think when i'm ready with the exhaust (i'm using my stock 7AFE downpipe which is only 1.5 inch!!!) and ready with the 6 speed gearbox i'll be able to go around the 220-225 mark.

Within a few weeks i'm going for the new exhaust and decided to go for 'only' 2 inch and grab a stock AE111 downpipe (2.25"). So my setup will be (all in outside diameters:
- Stock header: 1.75 inch i believe
- Stock downpipe: 2.25 inch
- Stock 7AFE Catalytic converter: 2.5 inch (i think in the US the diameter is 2" stock)
- Custom centre section: 2.0 inch with Simons chambered muffler (yes flow is a not as good as a free flow, but for noise this is the best option wink.gif)
- Stock Celica 2.0 3SGE rear section: 2.0 inch with chambered muffler

And the gearbox....i hope to mount it soon. Didn't had the time to do that yet frown.gif I checked if it was LSD or not and it is. Let's see that in the picture:

EDIT: I forgot that i bought a nice AE111 Levin goodie. An OEM Apexi intake pipe. The filter was completely gone but i bought a new one from rhdjapan.com. You can hear that filter a lot more then the old Ramair filter. It's growls nicely biggrin.gif

Pictures:

This post has been edited by onnaj: Jan 23, 2014 - 3:09 PM

--------------------
post Jan 26, 2014 - 3:21 PM
+Quote Post
pinsro

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 25, '14
From Canada
Currently Offline

Could you time yourself doing a lets say 0-100 km/h with a soft launch? I want to see if I am down on power compared to you as I have a blacktop in a t20 as well. I am getting alot of exhaust backfires (with flames) on agressive upshifts and I had around 2-3 intake backfires as well... fuel consumption is pretty bad... Maybe my left foot is too heavy haha.
post Jan 26, 2014 - 8:19 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

I didn't know the car was electronically limited to 180. My highest is 116mph, around 186kph. I didn't get the chance to stay long into fifth but did notice that it doesn't pick up much when shifting from the top of fourth.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Jan 26, 2014 - 8:20 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 27, 2014 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (pinsro @ Jan 26, 2014 - 9:21 PM) *
Could you time yourself doing a lets say 0-100 km/h with a soft launch? I want to see if I am down on power compared to you as I have a blacktop in a t20 as well. I am getting alot of exhaust backfires (with flames) on agressive upshifts and I had around 2-3 intake backfires as well... fuel consumption is pretty bad... Maybe my left foot is too heavy haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwDmiikkcE

^^
That's from about 30 to about 170 km/h rolling start. I think when starting right i'm able to hit 100 in about 8 seconds. This is with the stock 7AFE exhaust, silvertop flywheel, stock C52 7AFE gearbox, apexi open air intake.

I didn't know the car was electronically limited to 180. My highest is 116mph, around 186kph. I didn't get the chance to stay long into fifth but did notice that it doesn't pick up much when shifting from the top of fourth.

All the Japanese cars are limited @180 km/h. With the 17" rims it was 190+ km/h on gps and with this 15" about 180+ km/h. But in 5th gear it really misses some torque. Stock 7AFE gears are pretty long.

--------------------
post Nov 24, 2017 - 7:44 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

My beams ecu is original n with my 215/45R17 i was able to hit 117mph when fuel cut kicked in

i raced my buddy's 1988 Corolla AE92 with a 4age blacktop with 6speed. He had intake and 2.25" exhaust. while i was running a stock beams with 57mm exhaust piping (stock piping size)
we went from 15-95mph. I started pulling on him after 65mph and his car weighs 220 lbs lighter than st202

your 98 Celica is an st with a 7afe, originally???

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Nov 25, 2017 - 4:11 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:17 AM