> CYRIL: 94 GT4
post Oct 10, 2015 - 3:58 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Welcome to my 94 Celica GT-Four progress thread.

Modifications (when purchased):
-17" Lehrmeister Type 3 wheels
-OBX R Catback (came with Ti as well)
-3" Downpipe (no name)
-HKS Induction Pipe
-Momo Steering Wheel
-Jensen Touchscreen Headunit
-Exedy Stage 2 clutch
-Unknown lowering springs

Very first thing I did was the hood grill and engine/trans oil change. Rotella T6 and Pennzoil Synchromesh.

And then wash, clay bar, wax. Went up Golden Gate Canyon, Peak to Peak Hwy to Nederland, and then back down 119 to Coal Creek Canyon. On one of the stops for pictures, a Jeep passes me hard on the brakes, guy jumps out with wide eyes "IS THAT REAL?!" haha Ended up being a pretty cool guy who's had a few Supras, rhd Sylvias, etc...

Anyways, on to the pics:

This post has been edited by Malek: May 29, 2016 - 7:30 PM

--------------------
post Oct 10, 2015 - 4:46 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Awesome pickup! Glad to see you stayed in the 6gc family. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Oct 10, 2015 - 9:59 PM
+Quote Post
antoine64

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '14
From Juneau, Alaska
Currently Offline

I love it! But how is a GT4 legal to import? That must have snuck past customs somehow.

It looks like my Celica except that mine is front wheel drive engine swap with a hybrid bumper and in need of a paint job.
post Oct 10, 2015 - 10:35 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

I'm sorry, but what. You defy the laws of all logic. This is like the starburst commercial with the Japanese Scottish father and son talking to the zombie on the bus.

So the registration was truly what was holding you back? Got it

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Oct 10, 2015 - 10:38 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Oct 11, 2015 - 5:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Wooo, exactly how I'd want one. Dark blue and all-wheel drive.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 11, 2015 - 7:26 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (antoine64 @ Oct 10, 2015 - 10:59 PM) *
I love it! But how is a GT4 legal to import? That must have snuck past customs somehow.

^this

please explain, I dont feel like waiting 4 years

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Oct 11, 2015 - 9:19 AM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

Awesome car! I like the choice of oil too, I use the same biggrin.gif

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Oct 11, 2015 - 11:00 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Wow, looks amazing!

Very funny story too tongue.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Oct 11, 2015 - 11:32 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Thanks everyone! The pictures do hide a lot of the imperfections but overall, it's in pretty good shape!

QUOTE (antoine64 @ Oct 10, 2015 - 9:59 PM) *

It looks like my Celica except that mine is front wheel drive engine swap with a hybrid bumper and in need of a paint job.

The story with this one: The guy I bought it from (a ghost of sorts in the 6gc community), had a friend years back that was stationed in Japan. He gave the friend some cash to buy a GT4 and own it for (I think) a year or whatever the minimum amount of time is so that he could bring it back to the US when his deployment was over. The friend brought it back, changed a few things (head lights, etc), got inspected and boom, registered. It has a CO title with the JDM vin on it. All I have to do now is swap the catted down pipe back in, emission checked (like my swapped MR2) and go register.

I don't think military does that anymore though. Especially with spending cuts. This happened years ago (mid 2000s I believe)

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Oct 10, 2015 - 10:35 PM) *
I'm sorry, but what. You defy the laws of all logic. This is like the starburst commercial with the Japanese Scottish father and son talking to the zombie on the bus.

lol...yes. Why keep a car that I can't see or drive for 4+ years when I can take this one with me?

--------------------
post Oct 11, 2015 - 2:19 PM
+Quote Post
Zeros2

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 25, '08
From colorado
Currently Offline

Badass Malek I'm glad you got to keep one when you leave haha, should be bad awesome cruising in Cali! Come take me for a ride bro!
post Oct 11, 2015 - 2:32 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Zeros2 @ Oct 11, 2015 - 2:19 PM) *
Badass Malek I'm glad you got to keep one when you leave haha, should be bad awesome cruising in Cali! Come take me for a ride bro!

Stop working on the Supra and get your car sorted! Let's cruise!

--------------------
post Oct 11, 2015 - 6:20 PM
+Quote Post
Zeros2

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 25, '08
From colorado
Currently Offline

Supra is coming together so soon I'll be able to get working on the Celica, I don't know if I'll have it up and running before you leave though frown.gif
post Oct 12, 2015 - 2:09 PM
+Quote Post
antoine64

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '14
From Juneau, Alaska
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Oct 11, 2015 - 8:32 AM) *
Thanks everyone! The pictures do hide a lot of the imperfections but overall, it's in pretty good shape!

QUOTE (antoine64 @ Oct 10, 2015 - 9:59 PM) *

The story with this one: The guy I bought it from (a ghost of sorts in the 6gc community), had a friend years back that was stationed in Japan. He gave the friend some cash to buy a GT4 and own it for (I think) a year or whatever the minimum amount of time is so that he could bring it back to the US when his deployment was over. The friend brought it back, changed a few things (head lights, etc), got inspected and boom, registered. It has a CO title with the JDM vin on it. All I have to do now is swap the catted down pipe back in, emission checked (like my swapped MR2) and go register.

I don't think military does that anymore though. Especially with spending cuts. This happened years ago (mid 2000s I believe)

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Oct 10, 2015 - 10:35 PM) *

lol...yes. Why keep a car that I can't see or drive for 4+ years when I can take this one with me?

Makes sense. What a great find!! You said you had a converted Celica before?

My 3sgte turbo, as yours probably did, puts all the power to the front wheels. How different is the car when all that power is delivered to four wheels?

I imagine you don't have to worry about accidentally spinning your tires at a green light.

How's the RHD?

post Oct 12, 2015 - 2:17 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

I did a 3sgte awd conversion...Operation: DARKSPYRO I don't really remember how it felt fwd..

The power feels the same. Handling is different due to the superstrut suspension.

The learning curve for RHD isn't as bad as I originally thought it'd be. I got the hang of shifting fairly quickly. The only thing that really threw me off was the fact that the blinkers and windshield wiper controls are switched haha

--------------------
post Oct 12, 2015 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
lilgreenyoda

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 22, '07
From Loveland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Oct 12, 2015 - 7:17 PM) *
I did a 3sgte awd conversion...Operation: DARKSPYRO I don't really remember how it felt fwd..

The power feels the same. Handling is different due to the superstrut suspension.

The learning curve for RHD isn't as bad as I originally thought it'd be. I got the hang of shifting fairly quickly. The only thing that really threw me off was the fact that the blinkers and windshield wiper controls are switched haha

Didn't know there was anyone else from CO on here. You ever get to the cars and coffee up in Lafayette?
post Oct 15, 2015 - 12:27 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Nice purchase, I expect there are one or two very jealous people reading this, me included, your Gt4 works smile.gif

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Oct 15, 2015 - 10:57 AM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Oct 12, 2015 - 3:17 PM) *
I got the hang of shifting fairly quickly. The only thing that really threw me off was the fact that the blinkers and windshield wiper controls are switched haha

^this.

I remember the struggle. Congrats on the latest pick up!

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2015 - 7:04 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Went and got emission tested yesterday. First, I went with the 3in downpipe...and failed laugh.gif I knew I would but wanted to see what difference the cat made and figured might as well since it's a free retest within 10 days. It's quite a big difference haha Also, almost blasphemous, but I may like the way it sounds better with the stock downpipe on..just seems more refined and smoother.

Here's with the 3in dp

And with the stock dp

It was the same guy who retested, he came in the booth afterwards and was like wtf did I do to change the numbers that much. I told him I changed the injectors wink.gif

Looking at big turbo kits...EMS...ATS...hmmm..

This post has been edited by Malek: Oct 17, 2015 - 7:47 PM

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2015 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Did he not notice the different downpipe in the bay? laugh.gif
That's a huuuuuge difference!
post Oct 17, 2015 - 9:31 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Oct 17, 2015 - 9:55 PM) *
Did he not notice the different downpipe in the bay? laugh.gif
That's a huuuuuge difference!

Nah, I had the stock heat shield on both times. He had no idea what he was looking at. Notice the "catalytic converter presence" passed both times haha

--------------------

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:12 AM