6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 383 384 385 386 387 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Oct 8, 2020 - 8:29 PM
+Quote Post
Lorelei6gc

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '20
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 5, 2020 - 10:30 PM) *
I mean personally I'd be looking at mixing with a LWSP or SLWSP for that added film strength to cushion the gears from clashing on hard shifts. I can't figure out what trans is in her 91 Capri Turbo and how dissimilar it is to the the trans in your Miata but that extra fluid strength and stickiness of the oil made the synchro's work a lot lot better. I've driven it a few times before and after the oil change to the blend and it's night and day difference in how the gears just sink into place vs having the push them in and feel like the trans is fighting a bit.

The OEM 5mt in the XR2 (Turbo) is either the G25MR or G5MR, depending on the year. The G5MR is the manual in the 91 Capri XR2 turbo. The F5MR is the one from the base model.

-Lorelei "K swap it" Moira
post Oct 8, 2020 - 11:49 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Tried posting this on my own account so I'll delete this if necessary, still no "auto post approval"

Bitter, the transmission you're looking for is the G5MR, if it's been upgraded, most likely a G25MR, which is the second version. The Mazda B6T engine was only mated to the G5M-R in 1991 turbo capris.

-Lorelei "Irrelevant, but Vital Information" Moira

This post has been edited by Box: Oct 8, 2020 - 11:50 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 12, 2020 - 6:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ended up doing CRC GDI cleaner earlier; I don't think it did too much being it only has 65K miles and has been run on premium and synthetic oils since new, that and it is port injection, but I did get some dieseling after turning it off to heat soak and about 3/4 of a mile of moderate smoke. Spose it's something I'll do every 60K miles or so just for good measure. That and I finally decided on gear oil and bought that, so now I have all the fluids on hand to have all fresh fluids. I'll do the spark plugs, wires, and boots tomorrow if I'm feeling up to it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 13, 2020 - 7:40 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Changed the plugs, wires, boots, and cleaned the MAF. The Denso coppers in it were about half worn with good wear patterns across all four. The factory wires and boots were still ok, obviously, but were showing their 19 years and 65K miles upon removal and closer inspection. It does seem to run a bit smoother and have more oomph, particularly between 2-5K, though I suspect it's a combination of the new NGK wires and boots as well as the "extended reach" NGK V-Power plugs.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 13, 2020 - 8:54 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Awesome news!

Casey, I think I found your next car!
https://cdn.pleated-jeans.com/wp-content/up...25-pics-170.jpg

This post has been edited by Bitter: Oct 13, 2020 - 9:00 PM

--------------------
post Oct 13, 2020 - 10:13 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 13, 2020 - 8:54 PM) *
Awesome news!

Yes!!!

Haha, we'll call it the Cyclops!!!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 14, 2020 - 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 13, 2020 - 10:13 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Oct 13, 2020 - 8:54 PM) *
Awesome news!

Yes!!!

Haha, we'll call it the Cyclops!!!

I think you could stuff about 1000W of halogen in that thing. Maybe just run a carbon arc lamp.

--------------------
post Oct 14, 2020 - 1:53 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I miss my 80W E-code low beams. The Miata is just ok with the 9012.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 14, 2020 - 8:15 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 14, 2020 - 1:53 AM) *
I miss my 80W E-code low beams. The Miata is just ok with the 9012.

I knew you would buddy. I'm very sorry for your loss. I confess I sometimes miss the 65W halogens in my Celica but then I look left and I look right and I have 170 degrees of amazing light so I don't miss them so much. They were brighter on the hot spot and had more down range reach but overall the HID width makes night driving more enjoyable because it's all lit to the sides when turning.

It's very very possible that there's another projector that could be fit into the housing, I'm not super up on that stuff right now but there's some great 2.5" and 3" projectors around for fairly cheap and lots of used parts if you know where you're looking. Lights tend to use a lot of the same parts across different manufactures like Koito whom probably made your original headlights.

--------------------
post Oct 14, 2020 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm tempted to say **** it and put 9011 in the low beam as well.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 14, 2020 - 10:46 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 14, 2020 - 9:35 PM) *
I'm tempted to say **** it and put 9011 in the low beam as well.

You're more than likely limited by the projector itself than by the light source. May be some things you can do to the projector itself to get a little more light out, depending how it's built but it's all trade offs.

--------------------
post Oct 15, 2020 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

That awkward moment you're better off with the older technology.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 15, 2020 - 11:26 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Ok Grandma, let's get you to bed.

--------------------
post Oct 15, 2020 - 1:36 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I want my E-codes damn it. frown.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 17, 2020 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Had plans to take her and the dogs in the Celica out for a nice hike and some twisty roads but she's stressing about her aunts dog getting put down monday so she took an extra shift today and didn't tell me until last night and I can't really think of anyone else who wants to ride around in a car to go eat lunch and hike around who isn't already busy. Maybe my gay jewish pretend older half sister but she's pretty crappy about getting back to texts, might call her later on when she's more likely to be up for the day and see. She's on the way there and likes driving, maybe give her a go at the Celica on some more run roads.

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2020 - 11:54 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's never easy losing those you love, even if they're not people. Hmm... that could be fun if she's not driven the Celica before! I was thinking about going out in the Miata just for the hell of it myself.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 17, 2020 - 1:04 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

She's driven it once but it wasn't a very twisty road and she was pretty timid, I had to coax her into winding the engine all the way out. She's used to driving stick but hasn't had a bunch of seat time in something with tires and suspension like my Celica has, so there's some negatives and some positives going on there. I haven't heard back from her so I'm not expecting to today, also the weather hasn't improved one bit and I'm really doubting it's going to at all today. It's stayed windy/gusty and about 20 degrees colder than predicted yesterday. I've just been sitting on my butt playing on the computer and working on getting the folding PC (Foldy Puff Jr) updated to Xubuntu 20.04, fixing the loose fan power cable on the P106-100 mining card it runs for folding, and generally getting it ready for winter time to fold some Covid proteins in the basement and give me a little extra heat in the process. Adds a few dollars to the power bill but 100% of those watts are heat into the basement which warms the house slightly and 100% of the processing power helps find a cure to Covid-19 a little faster too. I nabbed a 600W Gold rated PSU for it on a Prime Day sale so it'll be a little more efficient in that regard and Nvidia recently updated their drivers to enable Cuda cores to work with Folding@Home more better or something or more fully or whatever the case may be but there's been at minimum a 50% and for some cards an 80% boost in F@H processing power, so that should be a good bump for the P106 and I'll see if the GTX 650 can be useful now as well (spoilers, probably not, still too slow!).

Made a nice breakfast at least, 2 fried eggs over a half a ham steak that was grill marked on the panini press and a dark chocolate pancake with some semi-sweet chips drizzled in berry fruit syrup.

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2020 - 3:34 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I get that, a car you're not familiar with can be unsettling. Which I'm having to readjust to the Miata's tendencies versus the Firebird, so it's been like "Woah, I can TURN again!"

Ooh sounds good, I just had buttermilk waffles with honey.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 17, 2020 - 3:39 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

She's home, weather still ****ty, meh!

--------------------
post Oct 17, 2020 - 10:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Boo!!!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

400 Pages V  « < 383 384 385 386 387 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:22 AM