6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

60 Pages V  « < 52 53 54 55 56 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Richee3's Progress thread., Wilwood BBK installed.
post Mar 19, 2018 - 12:29 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Mar 19, 2018 - 1:21 PM) *
I'm all for the fun aspect of cars moreso than just going fast. Either way, I honestly haven't been able to fully enjoy both cars. That's the sad part. TX2k wasn't as exciting this year as it was in previous years and I really didn't do much during the event weekend, so meh.

The new, high compression BEAMS should be a blast now. Time to rebuild the old one and do a twin-charged set-up on it for ****s & giggles.

I told him a while back that depending on where the compression leaked from, he could have a monster in his garage. Beams head flows great, and the rods are already gen4 gte rods. Little boost in that application with the engine fixed could be an animal. Mount that thing to a blacktop 6spd, and there's a project car somewhere that needs that engine lol

--------------------
post Mar 19, 2018 - 1:14 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 19, 2018 - 10:28 AM) *
QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 18, 2018 - 9:48 PM) *
Very nice!
So wished I could have helped you or at least be there for moral support.

You wanna know what doesn't get you anywhere very quickly... a toasted clutch.

You just missed it by a few weeks! I can’t remember if we even had the new engine when you were here. Your clutch is getting worse? kindasad.gif

I think you got it the weekend before.
Yeah. I've been baby-ing it when driving cause especially after 3k rpms you could feel it. But I was driving it to work last Wednesday morning in lovely traffic, go to give it some throttle (maybe a 1/2, I dunno) in 5th & she shoots to 5k rpms & really goes no where, lol, sorry traffic. That smell is really nasty, haha.
But on the plus side hasn't overheated, yet.
post Mar 21, 2018 - 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

A few days late but it’s back on the ground and driving again.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 21, 2018 - 10:58 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Nice man, did you get to test out the MT-90 yet? I'm thinking about trying that as well as I replace my axle.
post Mar 21, 2018 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Yes, I took about a 10 mile drive so far. The MT90 makes the S54 feel much smoother. No long term test yet but shifting feels much smoother. So far I feel that it’s well worth the extra $3/qt I paid. Small different in price for noticeably smoother shifting.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 22, 2018 - 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Wooo driving!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 22, 2018 - 7:17 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 22, 2018 - 12:17 AM) *
Yes, I took about a 10 mile drive so far. The MT90 makes the S54 feel much smoother. No long term test yet but shifting feels much smoother. So far I feel that it’s well worth the extra $3/qt I paid. Small different in price for noticeably smoother shifting.

10 miles and no report on perceived increase in power?!?

--------------------
post Mar 22, 2018 - 8:45 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

can't wait to come and drive it so I can get a feel of what's to come. wink.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 22, 2018 - 9:40 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 22, 2018 - 6:17 AM) *
10 miles and no report on perceived increase in power?!?

I'm still in the shakedown phase right now, still testing for any issues and making sure it’s running alright. Gotta break the clutch in and then I’ll find out how it pulls. Besides, I didn’t really want to test it from stoplight to stoplight at 9:00 last night.

QUOTE (cheela @ Mar 22, 2018 - 7:45 AM) *
can't wait to come and drive it so I can get a feel of what's to come. wink.gif

You’ll be less and less impressed at you climb to the top of Pikes Peak. Power drops quite a bit at 14,000 feet. Maybe I’ll let you drive it downhill instead. laugh.gif

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 22, 2018 - 9:53 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

I'll take the 4runner up and take the celica on my way down. laugh.gif

--------------------

post Mar 23, 2018 - 6:46 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Have you gotten a chance to switch out front lower control arms yet?

This post has been edited by navseal345: Mar 23, 2018 - 6:46 AM
post Mar 23, 2018 - 11:28 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Mar 23, 2018 - 5:46 AM) *
Have you gotten a chance to switch out front lower control arms yet?

Not yet. I’m probably going to end up throwing these bushings in the garbage where they belong and try a set of BRD bushings and see if they are any better.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 23, 2018 - 1:10 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Word.
post Nov 4, 2018 - 7:55 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The last few weeks have been interesting. Decided to look into my wiring and figured that my car is a slow turd because the ECU is pulling timing and dumping fuel. Decided to focus on the knock sensor wire specifically, spliced in a new piece of wire that I was much happier with, plugged the harness back in and it seemed to be a great success. Then I pulled the harness again, loomed it back up, plugged it in again and..... no start. Pulled the harness again, unloomed it, checked my splices and soldering, everything was fine. Plugged the harness in again, everything was fine. You guys get the idea. There were times when it would start but ran like crap with a CEL. Finally got everything sorted out and drove the car to work one day and everything went well right up until it didn’t. On my way home, in rush hour traffic, it died on me. Given the issues I just had with wiring, I was frantically checking over my harness, but couldn’t find any issues. Just when I was ready to call a tow truck, I noticed I had no CEL. Decided to check my fuses and sure enough, the EFI fuse had blown. I thought I was going to have a difficult time finding the issue in my harness but it seems that the fuse was just corroded and popped because of a poor connection and had poor timing. In the end I decided to make a new knock sensor wire to completely bypass the rest of my harness, which has seemingly cured 75% of my issues. It’s running better and power is up but it still seems to be pulling a little bit of timing. I think I’m going to proceed to not care anymore.

I’ve finally had it with the poly control arm bushings and said no more. Bought some rubber bushings from Amazon to replace the poly bushings. Unfortunately I could not get them pressed in and no shop wanted to do it, so I got annoyed and went to the junkyard to pull a set of control arms from the only car they had. Never mind the snow, getting new control arms was more important. Got those put in, got the car aligned, and so far it’s still holding the alignment, the steering wheel doesn’t twitch, the car doesn’t pull, and the control arms no longer shift around while driving. Great success from super old used control arms!

For the record, I’m on my second subframe, two sets of control arms, and three different sets of poly bushings over the course of 6 years because of this issue. The bushings are 100% the problem and I can not recommend them to anyone. There’s an issue when brand new bushings fit like this...

They look great once pressed into the arms, and even now still look like they should be just fine.

But once mounted in the car, the control arm goes wherever it pleases and there may as well not be a bushing at all. All three sets of bushings have done this since day 1, and I know others claim they’ve had great results with these but I cannot and will not recommend this garbage to anyone.

After getting the new (used) control arms in and getting the car aligned, along with the new knock sensor wiring, I thought things would be going pretty smooth with this car for a little bit. Nope, wrong again. Almost immediately started having alternator failure. Turn the headlights on, car nearly dies. Hit the brakes, car nearly dies. Turn the a/c fan on, car nearly dies. If I waited a second, everything smoothed out again but any sudden electrical draw would nearly kill the car. Luckily I have a few spare alternators sitting around that I had rebuilt maybe two years ago, so I swapped one in and that issue went away.

.... then my ISCV decided to act up again. Haven’t looked into that one yet but the hanging idle and hunting idle are dead giveaways that the ISCV is on the way out. Can’t have anything nice on a daily driven 20 year old car.

But I did decide to treat it to some new brakes anyway. You guys will be stunned to know that the Wilwood front brakes are way more powerful than the tiny rear GT calipers so my brake bias was way off. I’ve had a few incidents of the front brakes locking up while the rears did nearly nothing. I decided it was time to get my rear brakes to match my front so I fount a set of bargain ST205 rear brakes from Japan.

Rebuilt the calipers, although they really weren’t too bad. The rotors, on the other hand, were a bit rusty and pitted. Given the prices of new rear rotors I decided to gamble with cleaning these rotors up. They still aren’t great. These cane with Akebono pads, too bad they weren’t usable.

Painted the calipers silver to match the Wilwoods and got everything mounted up today.

Before and after:

Exactly as expected, the brakes are noisy due to the putting in the rotors. I’ll give them a few days to decide but I anticipate that I’ll be ordering new rotors soon.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 4, 2018 - 10:07 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Very nice. Except for the part that the car is not letting you fix it.
post Nov 4, 2018 - 10:24 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Nov 4, 2018 - 9:07 PM) *
Very nice. Except for the part that the car is not letting you fix it.

I think it's still mad at Daniel for selling it.

--------------------

post Nov 4, 2018 - 11:15 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Brakes bolted right up like we discussed or did they require some spacer?

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 4, 2018 - 11:49 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Nov 4, 2018 - 10:15 PM) *
Brakes bolted right up like we discussed or did they require some spacer?

I had to have two washers on each bolt to space the calipers out, the washers were about 5.8mm. Then I had to Dremel out part of the dust shield where the caliper was hitting after it was spaced out. It’s a little difficult to describe where but when the caliper gets pushed out, it starts to hit part of the dust shield by where the parking brake hardware sits. Easy mod. I got stainless brake lines a couple of years ago that were slightly longer than stock. I didn’t do that on purpose but I’ve read that the stock lines won’t reach. Overall it was extremely straightforward. The only issue that I ran into was needing longer bolts. The stock GT bolts are m10-1.25x15, and I had a ton of m10-1.25x30 that I hoped would work but they went through the caliper and onto the rotor so I had to run to Ace Hardware to get some 25mm bolts.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 5, 2018 - 8:04 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

sweet. I'll look into a set once my car is up and running again.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 5, 2018 - 1:06 PM
+Quote Post
NetsToy

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 5, '14
From Indianapolis, IN
Currently Offline

Calipers look nice! smile.gif

--------------------

1999 - Toyota Celica GT Vert Black
1999 - Toyota Celica GT Vert Super White

60 Pages V  « < 52 53 54 55 56 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:31 AM