6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 338 339 340 341 342 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Aug 25, 2019 - 1:00 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Jesus H. Crackers, I'm not sure how much better the USDM Corolla would be but at least they had airbags. Oh no doubt something newer should be safer, but seeing as I don't have the money for something newer that I like the '01-05 Miata is good enough. I think the NB2 got 4 out of 5 stars for occupant safety, though flopped on pedestrian safety but who cares about that one.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 25, 2019 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Probably not any better, it's the same chassis. The airbag would have just been shoved up with the rest of the dash and steering column as it exploded inward at the driver. That's the difference between a car built to pass a small overlap test and one not made for it. Small overlap is the most common, most dangerous, and most difficult kind of impact to protect from. Cars now are built to excel at it and as a result excel in other categories as well, the passenger cabin is now a rigid cage surrounded by expendables meant to shed energy. Some cars are built to literally shed parts in a crash to get large hard incompressible parts out of the way of crumple zones. They'll drop the engine and trans down to the ground or let rigid control arms shear away from the body. You'd see it after and think 'wow what junk, the whole car broke!' but in reality it protected the passengers by diverting energy away from the cabin and kept it intact to prevent you from breaking bones and being hit by massive G loads.

--------------------
post Aug 25, 2019 - 3:41 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

More reason to get a RHD car if you're going 90's I guess. Which that's ok I think I scared myself out of a Miata:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu0HMKreTiA

That was already my biggest fear with them to begin with.

The one crash event I have absolutely next to zero control over.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 25, 2019 - 4:13 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Apparently there's no crash data on the MR-S or NC Miata, but one would hope and assume the NC would be safer.

Meh, still safer than a motorcycle and what're the odds of being rear ended at 50 mph. The head on and 40% offset videos look good enough, and side impact is as expected for a pre side airbag car. Still that's my biggest concern with the Miata, if not more so some truck or SUV going over the decklid... Just part of it I guess, short of a new Miata/124 or maybe the 4C not like there's anything just as light and small that's safer.

This post has been edited by Box: Aug 25, 2019 - 8:28 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 26, 2019 - 2:21 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Trying to find safety data on the 350Z and it does well in front and side crashes, just can't find anything on it being rear ended. That and apparently it has more deaths percentage wise than any other car, though I suppose that's from driver error more so than the car itself since it scored so well in the tests it did go through. I dunno. I hate to let that video ruin the Miata for me but it's a valid concern, then again I always watch my mirrors at stop signs and stop lights and leave myself enough room in front of me to make an out if need be. Still, that's pretty nasty how badly it folded and I can't imagine not getting whiplash or suffering a neck and/or back injury with how violently the dummy moved.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 26, 2019 - 8:25 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Safety data is hard to judge from decade to decade because the testing methodology is revised so they may change how they do a side impact test or even how the score a side impact test. What would be a passing grade 20 years ago is a failing grade 5 years ago.

My Z3's came today, got my passenger side wheels off to take to work with me tomorrow. One I know has a bend, the other one I need to check. $75 to get it rolled straight without any refinishing so I'll do that and have it back in a few days. In the mean time I'll get the other wheel that's off mounted and balanced and on the car and then wait. One side at a time, but sooner than later I want to see how the Z3 compare while the Z2 are still fresh in my mind. I'm going to mark them so the guy who's getting them can get them mounted flipped on the wheel so they'll get him more life. They're still seriously sticky tires, that last 1/3 has just the right tread depth that in the dry they're amazing tires just a couple clicks below real track tires. I honestly doubt I'll be able to tell any difference between the Z2 and Z3 other than the improved warmup time and the dent in my wallet.

--------------------
post Aug 26, 2019 - 8:51 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I know, but videos and pictures with empirical data is always relevant regardless of testing methods and ideals. Besides even with more stringent requirements now if a car was poorly rated back then it definitely isn't safe now, and I think the requirements changed in '06? so ratings for the NC Miata and later 350Z would still be apples to apples for something made now. It just bothers me more now than it had in the past, maybe because now I actually have a desire to live whereas before I was ok with the possibility that the car itself could be the difference in living or not.

Newer has to be better right? I know the Michelin PS4S is supposed to be a step above the outgoing Pilot Sport 2, and whatever Yokohama is replacing the S Drive with is supposed to be better too.

This post has been edited by Box: Aug 26, 2019 - 8:51 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 27, 2019 - 7:51 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I think they might be better, as I rolled the mounted one out to put in the back seat of my car it was grabbing all the gravel on the parking lot like fly paper lol. They seem, by pressing my thumb nail into them, a little firmer than some of the hoosier race tires I've mounted but still hold that thumb nail dent in the rubber for a long time. Here's to hoping I can do 30,000 miles on them LOL.

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2019 - 9:05 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yay sticky rubber! Hmm, might could get 30K rotating them on a light FWD car. Though I wouldn't be surprised if you only got 20K or so out of them.

So apparently you can get an '06-08 Miata with 100-150K miles on it for $5-6K, so I suppose that'll be my best bet for something small and lightweight that's still RWD. The 350Z is about the same situation, earlier years with 100-150K miles are under $5-6K now so it's tempting. Just not sure how I'd like them even if the weight was brought down to 3,000 or so pounds, though 30 pounds of weight reduction occurs in wheels and 10 pounds in flywheel alone so that'd definitely help on feel. I even looked into the Celica GT-S since it's the smallest and lightest 2+2, and I found a really nice two owner black on black for like $4,500. It'd be incredibly tempting if funds were liquidated instead of being locked into a half torn down Firebird...

Which there's no crash data anywhere to be found on the NC, but if we're to believe anecdotal evidence from tuning shops that the NC structure is more substantial and the assumption that a 15-16 year newer chassis/car would be safer then I suppose it's the way to go even though I'm not as wild on the looks. They did come in a beautiful shade of blue though.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 27, 2019 - 10:19 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

If you get anything other than a Miata you'll be left longing for the Miata, but then you'll be wondering about the 350Z and Celica too so...but just get the Miata.

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2019 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Aug 27, 2019 - 10:19 PM) *
If you get anything other than a Miata you'll be left longing for the Miata, but then you'll be wondering about the 350Z and Celica too so...but just get the Miata.

Probably, at least the Miata I know I'll like and the more I look into them I think I'll like the NC even more than the NA/NB so that's nice. The looks are even starting to grow on me, with their pill shaped eyes on their pill shaped body. Also the NC has front and rear speakers with tweeters so that's exciting and a HUGE plus for me, since the NA/NB always left me wanting on the sound system with just the speakers and maybe tweeters only in the doors. The only thing I don't like on the NC is that it's 5x114.3 vs 4x100 like every other Miata generation... Then again with factory 17's that isn't too big a deal I suppose.

That said the 350Z and Celica GT-S are intriguing options that I'd love to try too.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 28, 2019 - 12:12 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

What are you running for alignment numbers? But don't you also street drive your Celica more than track it which is probably why you got 30k miles out of them.
post Aug 28, 2019 - 8:03 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Aug 28, 2019 - 12:12 AM) *
What are you running for alignment numbers? But don't you also street drive your Celica more than track it which is probably why you got 30k miles out of them.

I'm running some camber and pretty tame toe, and yea no track. Just street. And I had a much more conservative alignment previously too. I know I won't get 30K out of the new set laugh.gif and that's OK because at the rate I drive it 30k is 6yrs and they weren't used up yet so kind of a waste!

--------------------
post Aug 28, 2019 - 2:41 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Ah yes, like me the tires harden before they wear. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 28, 2019 - 2:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Though I'm damned and determined to change that, so another nice aspect of the aforementioned since they're still relatively new. I won't know what to do with myself since the newest car I've owned is the Firebird at '96.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 28, 2019 - 6:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

After researching apparently not all 6-speed NC Miata have the LSD, but all '06-08 models do which is what I'll be looking at since they're in my price range. Which is fine, I wanted the 6-speed anyway. Also apparently you can get cloth with the 6-speed too, so that'd be nice since I don't like leather.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 28, 2019 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Going to keep spamming posts because I'm actually excited, the more I look into the NC. Even though the '09-15 are better... but the '06-08 does seem to be markedly better than the NB2 even so just have to think of it that way. Ahhh, so excited for the possibilities. Plus apparently the NC rides better than the NB2 even with 17's, or so they(reviewers of the time) say so woo. Being scared by crash test videos is a good thing! laugh.gif

Was originally going to say something about how the 2.5 MZR swap is a thing for the NC, but then couldn't find solid numbers. Seems like the gains are in doing cams and bolt-ons, but at that rate why not just do the same to the 2.0 that's in it? I know the 2.5 has more torque, but apparently to get it to fit you have to remove the harmonic balancer and then you have to do stiffer mounts to control the vibration then maybe hood clearance issues? Just doesn't seem all that worthwhile unless you're going race car with it. Then again 170 horsepower in a 2,500 pound car is enough for me, though if they ever work out the AJ swap for the NC like they have the NA/NB...

This post has been edited by Box: Aug 29, 2019 - 2:42 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 30, 2019 - 2:21 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Let's all take a moment to admire Stormy Blue Mica:

SUCH A NICE COLOUR. Must find 6-speed Stormy Blue... Also those tail lights are hideous, I don't know what Mazda was thinking except "YO LET'S CASH IN ON ALTEZZAS BRO!" Those need tinted something fierce...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 30, 2019 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Speaking of tail lights, apparently there are five sets of good looking ones out there:
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/can-a-set-of...mons-1791450381

So that's something I guess.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 30, 2019 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

https://jalopnik.com/at-2-990-could-this-19...-pic-1837654151

--------------------

400 Pages V  « < 338 339 340 341 342 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:09 PM