Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rusty's SS-II progress thread, Many TRD goodies
post Jan 12, 2015 - 12:42 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Yes directly from Toyota. You can buy the blue clips & the end clip separately. But to buy the black trim you buy it as above with clips - the clips are already in the right place btw. The blue clips were surprisingly strong, with the bit of force to remove it.

I have a price of $219NZD retail, but last pair in country I got for $100NZD + GST, price will reset next time some come into country, so I was a bit lucky then biggrin.gif

Chances are though being an exterior trim part they would have all ages. I was quite surprised at how flexible the new one is compared to the old one, it folds flat to hide some of the window gap the glass creates.

As I said in 'Today I..', passed my vehicle inspection for another 6 months. But with great handling and grip of the suspension, tires & LSD. The tire wear as increase, so will need to look at new front tires.

--------------------
post Mar 15, 2015 - 4:29 AM
+Quote Post
Tedtiler

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 14, '15
From Belfast, uk
Currently Offline

Hi there, great thread and lots of great bits added. I have a track rev3 mr2 with similar mods( toms ecu and intake, exhaust etc). Wondered if you'd tried a 4 into 1 manifold on yours? Ours seems to rev to about 7500 then dies completely, though no limiter found yet. Good dyno power on yours, well done.
post Mar 25, 2015 - 1:54 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Cheers mate. Sounds like that'll be a lot of fun, LSD? No I haven't. All aftermarket extractors are usually 4-2-1 still. Sounds like camshaft upgrade time? mild upgrades of 224* @ 1mm valve lift (or 262deg)

(sorry for the delayed post also)

News update

The intake manifold and cam cover was removed mid February. Pretty straight forward, but time consuming with the over head intake runners. Inside of head was clean (forgot to take photos). The first part of the intake manifold was cleaned up as was the acis cover. Tapped up any threaded holes & the diaphragm etc.

The intake was first coated in the silver basecoat followed by a clear. The Valve cover had the same silver basecoat followed by an anodized red (a red tint spray) followed by the clear. Installed the new sticker on the intake. Then applied gold heat reflective tape on the underside of the runners. Not sure yet if its brought temps down, one part I know brings theintake manifold temps down, is the gizzmo thermal gasket (NZ made though from memory..)

After that a new PCV valve was installed and a new hose aswell. And a new valve cover gasket/s forgot to say. I'm pretty sure I've got photos on my camera cards somewhere.. Runs great smile.gif

Newest update, was off to a friends wedding, coming around a corner when I heard a sudden horrible noise (instantly turned car off & out of gear)
after an inspection, wasn't the engine or wheel bearings. Got on the hoist at the local Toyota suspecting (hoping) a bolt or something had flowed off from the axles, but nope sounds coming from the gearbox... Sounds like a bearing failure possibly from the input or output shafts. No issues in selecting gears etc, you hear it at the noisiest off torque in a gear or in neutral. suspected cause is some soda blasting powder that may have made it into the case - though it was thoroughly cleaned by Toyota when the TRD LSD was installed. Happened suddenly after ~2,000kms reinstall.

--------------------
post Mar 25, 2015 - 7:12 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

I had planned on doing the same thing with the tape and intake runners!
Hopefully improves the temps to some extent. I guess you should get an Intake air temp sensor and gauge!

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Mar 25, 2015 - 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

That's rotten Luck. Ask your installer how he set the preload on the differential bearings. It's a critical step for bearing longevity. A lot of people ignore it because 8 out of 10 times the original shim is more or less the right thickness. plus it's a royal pain to Assemble, check, take apart, switch shims, reassemble, recheck, take apart again...etc. Maybe you were one of the unlucky 2/10. also ask them how they pressed the differential bearings on. Your supposed to press on the inner race, NOT the outer.... I accidentally crushed a cage on one of mine while pressing it onto the helical and had to buy a replacement. funny thing is there is no obvious visual indication that damage was done, so it's easy to miss something like that.

Plus I highly doubt it's the input or output shaft bearings. Two of them are sealed deep groove and the other two are really beefy non-locating rollers. You would have to do something incredibly stupid to harm them. The diff bearings are the most frail by far.

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2015 - 1:33 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

I hoping it does improve too, atleast help a bit with heat soak from sitting stationary.

Thanks Enderswift for your response (I was hoping you would see this). The person incharge said they set the preload, they ended up taking a shim out(which I have). But as you say, was it set correctly, And did they follow correct procedures for the job. Do you have photos of the diff bearing that was damaged?

Yeah I saw your post with the part numbers & photo of the input & output bearings.

The part I don't understand is why the sudden failure of the bearing, not a deterioration frown.gif

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2015 - 9:01 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

They shouldn't take any shim out. There's only one shim that is used to set preload,its on the driver side of the diff. The shim on the passenger side is always the same thickness. It controls the distance between the ring gear and output shaft pinion, so it should never be changed. Anyway, if the driver side shim is too thick then it needs to be replaced with a thinner one, not removed entirely. I can post up the portions from the repair manual that specify this if you like. If they completely removed the shim then you may have your culprit

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2015 - 10:30 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

I have the manual with the specs, I checked it yesterday morning after you posted your 1st reply. Hmm Interesting. I'll be sure to find this shim then, sounds as though they incorrectly set the preload, though still possible they removed and put a different size in?

--------------------
post Apr 20, 2015 - 3:43 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Quick update on where I am.

Ordered new replacement bearings for the transaxle. Thought about getting S51 5th gears, but at the price it isn't worth buying them new locally. Buying from the wreckers isn't feasible. So keeping with the stock ratios it is.

Hope to update this in a couple of weeks with news the ST202 is derivable again.

--------------------
post May 8, 2015 - 9:37 AM
+Quote Post
Dr_Gonzo

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 29, '15
From Blackpool, UK
Currently Offline

Awesome build! Love everything about it
post May 17, 2015 - 1:32 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Photo of the enginebay after cleaning up the valve cover & intake manifold.

In other news

Celica is back derivable again. With the repair on the transaxle done. It turned out to be the output shaft big roller bearing. I'll try get a photo up of it later

--------------------
post May 17, 2015 - 5:10 AM
+Quote Post
JFXtreme007

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 9, '14
From Sydney, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Rusty @ May 17, 2015 - 4:32 PM) *
Photo of the enginebay after cleaning up the valve cover & intake manifold.

In other news

Celica is back derivable again. With the repair on the transaxle done. It turned out to be the output shaft big roller bearing. I'll try get a photo up of it later

I just really want one of those Intake boxes tongue.gif

--------------------
It's not always about how fast a car is, but how it makes you feel.

------> 1997 ST204 Toyota Celica SX <------ Click Here To View My 6gc Thread! :)
-----------> August 2015 COTM! <-----------
post May 18, 2015 - 4:47 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Really lucky these parts didn't fly around in the gearbox.

You can, use my thread to help along the way
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=81368

--------------------
post Jul 7, 2015 - 12:04 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Received this in the mailbox a couple of days ago...

Any thoughts as to what it is?

--------------------
post Jul 7, 2015 - 1:30 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

They're a header/exhaust company out of Australia right? So my guess is header and downpipe.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 7, 2015 - 2:27 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Ha those are suspension braces for sure. But you already have bracing on your suspension

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Jul 7, 2015 - 5:59 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

it better not be a cooling panel!
I have one but want another less worn one

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Jul 7, 2015 - 12:17 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Underbody bracing perhaps?

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 7, 2015 - 4:45 PM
+Quote Post
Lamont

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 18, '11
From Cochranville, PA.
Currently Offline

How big is that mailbox?
post Jul 9, 2015 - 12:21 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Lamont @ Jul 8, 2015 - 9:45 AM) *
How big is that mailbox?

laugh.gif not that big actually

Beatrush/Laile is the Japanese company that took over some of the C-One product lines... So Tiga, yes it is a brand new cooling panel.

Once the weather improves here I will try get some photos.

--------------------

30 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 30 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:03 AM