6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jeebus' ST205 - Getting her up to standards, Give me insight please!
post Nov 15, 2013 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

Quick question. I am looking into some new 205/50/R16 tires as per stock specs, and May consider buying a tire & wheel package. If I upgrade to 17" rims since it'll be a few bucks extra, what would be the proper equivalent size: 215/45/R17?
post Nov 15, 2013 - 8:09 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

Or 225/45/17 that's what I have on mine. How much traction do you want? wink.gif
post Nov 15, 2013 - 8:21 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

225/45 on 17x8.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 16, 2013 - 3:57 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

On my 7.5Jx17" wheels only 215/40R17 tires are approvable... The other alternative on some wheels of the same dimension was 245/35R17 though.

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2013 - 6:56 AM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

Going into the winter (rain) season here in Vancouver, traction is going to be key. I'm not going to get any winter tires though, as snowfall is quite rare, and I don't think I'll be driving up to Whistler or to the east to Kelowna at all. I'll search around and ask the tire shops what may be best suited for whichever wheels I decide to buy.

Appreciate the input, and I'll keep you folks posted as to what I get done!
post Nov 16, 2013 - 7:52 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Jeebus @ Nov 16, 2013 - 6:56 AM) *
Going into the winter (rain) season here in Vancouver, traction is going to be key. I'm not going to get any winter tires though, as snowfall is quite rare, and I don't think I'll be driving up to Whistler or to the east to Kelowna at all. I'll search around and ask the tire shops what may be best suited for whichever wheels I decide to buy.

Appreciate the input, and I'll keep you folks posted as to what I get done!

205/45 R17 I think? IDK, I have 215/45R17 and that is slightly oversized (larger rolling diameter - speedo reads about 3% out), but I went with that because it is arguably the most common general sports size and I wanted the extra sidewall for ride comfort over a 35 or 40 profile.

Head over to;

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

And you can put in all the sizes you are interested in and it crunches the numbers for you. Stick within about 3% difference of rolling diameter or you are going to start feeling differences in your gearing etc as well as a vastly incorrect speedo.

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Nov 17, 2013 - 1:55 AM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

That's actually thr tire shop I may go to soon, as its a few blocks from my house. Their packages seem pretty decent, but my friend is going to take me to another used tire shop before I make any hasty decisions. The only down side is that 1010tires doesn't have the 5-spoke TRD-style rims I'd like to get. I may just decide on some Enkei 6-spoke rims.
post Nov 28, 2013 - 2:59 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

Just arrived. biggrin.gif

post Jan 28, 2015 - 3:13 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

My clutch blew a few days before New Years, and I finally got my car into the dealership.

Things that are getting installed:
- Exedy clutch, clutch cover, throwout bearing (OEM replacement)
- C-one light-weight flywheel
- Timing belt, v-belts, respective bearings
- New water pump.

I've received a phone-call as to the status update on my car:
- leaking oil for the oil pump, camshaft and/or crankshaft (replacement seals all ordered thanks to some North American cars that used the same part)
- Turbo is leaking oil

After the clutch is fixed, I have to make an appointment with another garage to get my fender replaced courtesy of the guy who hit me.

Future endeavors once the cash-flow allows for it:
- Get turbo rebuilt
- Fix exhaust leak at flex-pipe, purchase/install 3" decat-downpipe at the same time if I can find one to buy
- Buy rear-right bumper valence, preferably same colour, if not find someone to paint it.

That is all.

This post has been edited by Jeebus: Jan 28, 2015 - 3:17 PM
post Jan 25, 2016 - 7:04 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

So my car has been out of commission since 4/20/2015 when the engine blew.

I've finally got some funds to get a new engine, but it's just a matter of saving up for the labour, but I have to start doing research now to figure out all that needs to be done.

- Once I buy a "new" engine (straight up ST205 engine swap, looking for the same L1 sticker on the timing belt cover), what other auxiliary items will I need for the garage to make a successful swap? (gaskets and such?). I'm going to ask the garage to swap over the current timing belt/fan belt/v-belt & water pump, as they were pretty much brand new.
- I'm thinking of getting a Berk 3" decat downpipe installed at the same time since the garage I'm going to take it to is an authorized dealer. I'll still have the 2.25" exhaust though until later on. Is it necessary that I get a boost controller, or will boost creep be negligible due to the limiting exhaust?
- Any other charges that I'll potentially see from the garage?

Getting closer to driving my car again makes me quite happy.

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:45 PM