post Apr 29, 2018 - 9:10 PM
+Quote Post
rocketcost

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 13, '16
From Kingsville, Ontario
Currently Offline

Hi everyone,

After looking through a great many threads and posts, I haven't come across any definitive answers to the illusive "ticking under the valve cover" problem.

I have similar situations to others: Oil got to the low point on the dip stick, however, it was never too low as to not register - In my defence, I was about 1000 kms below my next oil change. Shame on me for not checking more often tho

I'm posting here now because the ticking comes and goes, without any sign, rhyme or reason. The best clue I have is it sometimes happens when the car is at it's hottest state after a reasonable drive on a mild day.

Any ideas? I can assure you all that I have confirmed that I am not hearing the injectors. Those guys ALWAYS tick (as they should).

Thanks for any input you might have!

post Apr 29, 2018 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oil pump could be getting weak, check the oil pressure. That and if it's only happening when it's hot might could use a thicker oil, but I'd still make sure the oil pressure is good.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 30, 2018 - 6:22 AM
+Quote Post
rocketcost

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 13, '16
From Kingsville, Ontario
Currently Offline

Thanks for the advice. I will check the oil pressure. I am currently using 5w30 for viscosity. What would you recommend for a thicker oil?
post Apr 30, 2018 - 10:07 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

I'm going to assume you're talking about GT celica with 2.2l 5SFE engine. These engines tick, especially when the engine is at operating temps after a long drive - hot oil is a bit thinner. Ticking is most pronounced on the front of the engine by the timing cover. Nothing wrong with that that I've been able to find. Drove me nuts, so I checked and re-checked the valve clearances, measured camshaft diameter and bearing clearances, compression test, new valve stem seals and measured all valve springs, etc. All normal, no wear on cam loves, everything runs great, engine ticks. Never got the oil pressure light. They just tick, what can I tell you.
post Apr 30, 2018 - 4:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Based on his profile he has a ST with 7A-FE, I can't remember exactly on mine but I don't think they were exactly quite either. Oil weight has a lot to do with your climate, but you might try something like a good 5W-40 so you still have good cold flow but it's a little thicker when hot.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 1, 2018 - 12:06 PM
+Quote Post
rocketcost

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 13, '16
From Kingsville, Ontario
Currently Offline

Thanks for all the good input. I do have the 7A-FE thumbsdown.gif frown.gif . I will try out a thicker oil and see if that helps. Am I right in assuming I do not have rod knock if this is an issue that comes and goes? Or maybe that the rod joints have become fatigued do to not enough lubrication/cooling, and now as they heat up, they are expanding too much causing knock?

Im not sure. Just taking a stab in the dark. I have spent 100's of hours on my mr2 3sgte, and these engines don't share much in common...

Thanks guys!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 1:39 AM