post Nov 19, 2014 - 9:23 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Arturio55 @ Nov 18, 2014 - 1:12 PM) *
Malpaso, thank you for understanding that I do actually know what im talking about... some of the other members must think im some stupid kid.
secondly, yes I know itll be hard to control. Im hoping the lsd, coilovers and poly bushings will help control that.
Also, no im not gonna "lol" at what you said. I know its sort of ridiculous to throw 400hp at a fwd car. Thats why I asked if anyone has done it, I wanted to know if it was practical at all. I wanted to hear about personal experiences. To my understanding, Tao has done it and did it well. Thank you for your input also.

Im gonna try to build that power reliably. If its too much (which it most likely will be) then ill just keep the boost at a low setting...maybe get an electronic boost controller with multiple maps. And ill try to tune it so that it accesses that power in the high rpms, that way I can just keep a light foot while city driving.

I know ill be throwing a lot of money into it. But we don't have gt4s in the USA. I have considered getting a 5th gen alltrac, but they only pop up once in a blue moon. Very rare. Maybe in the future ill try to do an awd conversion. Ive done my fair share of research and seen pipes car, Czwalga, and a couple other attempts. If I ever get the money ill experiment.

I want to thank everyone who was friendly and actually tried to help and answer my question. I know everything I need to know about building an engine/suspension. Just wanted to know if anyone was able to build a practical fwd 400hp celica. Ill take my chances and let the 6gc world know how it turns out

I've got a solution for you.

Scrap this idea of building 400hp, and buy Tao's car! He just posted a thing on the 6GC facebook page the other day he was thinking of selling.

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Nov 19, 2014 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

Tao didnt accept my fb request yet lol...either way im sure he'll be charging more money than it would cost me to build my car the way I want it. I dont have 5 or 6000 bucks. Even if I didnt I wouldnt be able to spend it all at once. With my build ill be buying things over time. Engine next month, then 4 months later standalone ecu, then soon after new turbo kit. Hopefully in between all that I can get bodywork and paint done

--------------------
QUOTE (Azncelica @ Mar 4, 2012 - 11:43 PM) *
I started with what I know to do, I swap engine into my car, I knew it was too much work to make it a AWD. I kept it FWD. Went to take a crack at doing the wiring conversion. Than, I realize, shoot, this is out of my league.
post Nov 19, 2014 - 12:37 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

I saw once a FWD celica with a played with 3SGTE, not sure how many BHP it had but it was more than standard, I believe it was more or less a daily driver so it has been done, what it was like to drive and live with God only knows.

It will certainly be an interesting challenge that's for sure. 400bhp in an AWD Celica is interesting enough.

If it goes bang after 200 miles, as long as you are prepared for that then so what!!!!! You will learn a valuable lesson, make changes and try again, as long as you have patience, learn from your lessons and have pretty deep pockets it will be a fun journey.....but also take advice from people who have been down this road, not many have but it may save you from spending a lot of money you may not need to. Also don't fixate on a number, the last thing you want to do is chase BHP figures as it will almost certainly end in tears one way or another. If you don't have deep pockets then I would think again, it won't be cheap and if things do go south and you can't afford to fix it, it will all be for nothing and very frustrating. Hardly anything on a 3sgte is cheap....apart from the scrap value.

Going from my experience I would do a straight swap with a standard 3sgte engine, run that for a while and see what you think, it might not be the way you want to go, but you will learn about the engine, and perhaps be able to better guide yourself as to which modifications would work best. Even just changing the ECU to a fully mappable version can make such a difference to a car. I managed to get near to 340BHP with an ECU, hybrid turbo and boost controller, & 1.3 bar , the engine was otherwise completely standard. That was more or less the limit of the injectors, managed to clock up 235,000 miles like that, over 100,000 of those at 1.1 to 1.3 bar. FWD will certainly place less strain on the engine which will help things last. Also if you have big BHP available dosnt mean you have to use it, you could have a daily setting and a weekend setting on the ECU. What ever you decide I hope it goes well.

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Nov 19, 2014 - 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

Thanks for the input, and for understanding that im prepared for the outcome, whatever it may be.
lol of you can daily 340 at over 1 bar for over 100000 miles then im sure 400 will last almost as long, if not longer, if its tuned right.
I dont have deep pockets but im not too materialistic. Honestly I LOVE my car but if it blew up (although the chances of this have to be 1 in a thousand..im sure it would throw a rod before any catastrophic happened) I would salvage what I could then just buy another. Not like im doing anything else with my time/money.
I live at home with mom and sister. Only bill I pay is internet, and the various traffic tickets im paying off. I can afford a mistake or 2.

Also yea I think the hydra ems has more than one map, even if I dont utilize that I can get an electronic boost controller. Some of those have 3 or 4 maps! Plus the scramble setting. Im gonna build a 400hp car no matter what. Daily driving it is a different story. If its too hard to control then cool, ill just daily it at 250 or 300, then turn up the boost when the occasion calls for it.
Also ill make sure to keep a fire extinguisher in the car lolol

--------------------
I started with what I know to do, I swap engine into my car, I knew it was too much work to make it a AWD. I kept it FWD. Went to take a crack at doing the wiring conversion. Than, I realize, shoot, this is out of my league.
post Nov 19, 2014 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

You might want to look into EMS's that allow boost by gear as well. First gear with an S54 will be useless on a stock 3S, much less 400 hp.

Also, link to Tao's possible FS post.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 19, 2014 - 6:16 PM
+Quote Post
Arturio55

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '13
From New jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 19, 2014 - 6:32 PM) *
You might want to look into EMS's that allow boost by gear as well. First gear with an S54 will be useless on a stock 3S, much less 400 hp.

Also, link to Tao's possible FS post.

hes asking for a great price. Maybe as low as 3500?! Thats insane bc hoping he gets back to me asap to give me his mod list

This post has been edited by Arturio55: Nov 19, 2014 - 6:47 PM

--------------------

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 6:00 AM