6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Compression test results, Why the difference?
post Jun 25, 2015 - 11:52 PM
+Quote Post
6G94celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 22, '06
From Savannah, GA
Currently Offline

So i'm going through and fixing a few issues with my swap from years back and I ran through a compression test to see where the engine was at. BGB says 168PSI or more is normal, 124PSI is minimum and there should be no more than 14PSI difference between the cylinders. These are the results following the BGB procedure.

Cyl 1 - 170PSI
Cyl 2 - 149PSI
Cyl 3 - 170PSI
Cyl 4 - 149PSI

After the initial test I added a small amount of oil to the two that were bellow the 168PSI normal compression to determine if it was the rings. These are the results

Cyl 2 and 4 - 210PSI

So my question, it seems as if the diagnosis would be worn rings on 2 and 4 or possibly a scored cylinder. Both were above the minimum pressure however were not within the 14PSI. Any suggestions on what to do? Is it worth tearing the block apart and inspecting or good enough to continue to roll with?

Any info helps, thanks.

post Jun 26, 2015 - 11:27 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you're in the process of rebuilding I'd go ahead and go through the trouble. You might try doing a piston soak with Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam, you might get lucky and the rings are just stuck. Either way if it were me I'd want the pressures to be fairly even across the board, especially in a performance motor.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 26, 2015 - 9:48 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

personall, i would tear the engine apart, hone the cylinder walls and get new rings. I would also have a valve job and replace all the valve stem seals

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:09 AM