> The GT-Four Brake Upgrade, ST205 Brake Upgrade for 5x100 & 5x114 PCB
post Oct 29, 2015 - 12:24 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Ha dang after I posted his name I said shoot and changed it to anonymous like 20 sec after my initial post. Dang your fast

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Oct 29, 2015 - 2:43 AM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

TRD high performance brake rotors would be the correct size. Since the TRD calipers are pretty much same specs as the supra & GT-4 ones, afaik.

The AE100 would be perfect at φ300. but would require redrilling from 4x100 to 5x100. They are discountinued, but maybe someone is making their own ones?

--------------------
post Oct 29, 2015 - 9:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Its kinda frustratin, lol. I have the gt4 rotors, and no one will resize them around here, lol.

the supra rotors i have are oem, and will require the calipers to be grinded almost 10mm. which will only leave 7 mm tabs. lol. thats no bueno. me thinks. Unless a backing plate is welded to the rear of the ear, to provide more support. not sure how safe that could be.

the caliper leg is 17mm.

the difference in height from the celica rotor and the supra rotor makes this weird offset. Brakes are the only thing that are making me unable to drive my car. so im running out of options lol... unless i go back to stock. since i dont have all the stock parts any more (long story)

question here is, is the ST knuckle different from the GT knuckle....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Oct 29, 2015 - 10:11 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Oct 29, 2015 - 10:40 AM) *
question here is, is the ST knuckle different from the GT knuckle....

Part numbers are the same for both, and is spread 94-99.
43211-29015 - R, 43212-29015 - L (w/o ABS)
43211-20271 - R, 43212-20231 - L (w/ ABS)
post Oct 29, 2015 - 10:46 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

thanks, i saw that. so if the knuckles are the same, then oem supra rotors are SOL, unless the calipers are grinded down to 7mm in the tabs.... which is too much....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 9, 2015 - 8:48 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Added info about Bias Valves.

My car will be put up for hibernation soon and I will try and get a hole heap of measurements to hopefully help clear up some of this confusion.

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Apr 25, 2017 - 3:00 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

making a "brake" through for those who want the ST205 rear calipers and 5x114.3 hubs.

At the moment I am working on figuring out if 2004 STI Rotors will fit the bill.
So far I have learned that aftermarket brands have the rotors drilled for both 5x100 and 5x114.3
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/fits/2004-...rotor-pair-rear

Rotors overall thicknesses
GT - 65mm
ST205 - 59mm (hence why the caliper need to be spaced 5mm to match the rotors position)
STI - 67mm

The hubs used to convert the rear put the diameter of the hub at 60.1. The STI hub bore is 56.1 so whatever rotors you get, would need to be widened. not too bad of an issue.

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Apr 25, 2017 - 6:25 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Apr 28, 2017 - 7:40 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Working on getting this rear conversion done.
Here are a few more details I have been working on.

Got the DBA rotors in and they are being bored out to 60.1

I have been having trouble finding a 2mm spacer for behind the rotor to help get is centered in the caliper. Most places I have called have a minimum of 3mm. I am not sure if that 1mm will make a difference or not. (Technically I would need at 2.5mm since the STI rotor is 67.5) So it would actually be .5mm off if I got a 3mm spacer.
Since the STI's rotors disc thickness is 2mm larger than the ST205s, I am unsure how much wiggle room there is

(Also, thanks to RabidTRD the diameter of the 1998 Camry rear hub face is 6")

I have an idea to space the hub out, I am not sure how permanent...or even temporary of a solution it can be.
McMaster sells washers that will fit really snugly around the wheel studs coming out of the hub.
Wheel studs are 12mm O.D. (.472) the washer at McMaster are (.474) I.D. with a thickness tolerance of .090-.112 the thickness (2.5mm) we want is .0984

There are alot of variables here and this isnt necessarily "bolt on" but its the closest I have been able to find. Hopefully it all works and fits fine. There are still alot of variables I have yet to test out since I havent been able to get hands on my car yet

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Apr 28, 2017 - 10:09 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I honestly don't think that .5mm is going to have that much of an effect on braking performance... Or, is this just an exercise to satisfy your OCD? (I can completely relate to that lol)

For the purposes of getting back into the seat though, I would probably be able to live with half a millimeter. Besides, once the pads are bedded, its not like you're going to have unequal braking force on the two sides of the rotor. The pistons should still apply equal force to both rotor faces, with the difference being the resting position of the pistons in the caliper. Even if you burned up all the pad material, the tolerances in the caliper itself are probably larger than .5mm, and I doubt that they would spit a piston.

But then, I could be completely wrong, and if that's the case, just let me ramble to myself here in the corner... laugh.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 28, 2017 - 12:32 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

.5mm is a really really small amount to be worried about yeah.
Im sure my setup right now is probably off by that much or more, but I dont notice it (besides more than normal brake dust)

I keep visualizing this as if there is a gap between the pad and rotor face...which there really isnt haha

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 2, 2017 - 8:28 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

small update:

grabbed rear 1996 Non-ABS Camry Hubs from a junker at a scrap yard, because the whole [stud bore diameter and running extended studs from ARP] but most people would be fine with picking up some hubs from Rock Auto.

I have been hunting for 3mm spacers and found a few places that would do it or have some [motorsport-tech for custom and poweredbymax for in stock 3mm]
But after discussing with a friend, we came to the conclusion that it really isn't necessary for the spacer behind the rotor to be hub centric (although the places I noted above are hub centric) As long as the brake rotor is centered on the hub, all is well. Project Kics has 3mm spacers that arent hub centric and are super cheap for a pair ($13). Which brings me to my next note.

I had a quick fear (that lasted only a moment) that the 3mm spacer behind the rotor would take up all of the available 60.1mm areas of the hub bore and have my 60.1 bored rotor sitting above the 60.1 area. The protrusion coming from the hub face is stepped. It goes from 60.1 to like 59mm. I did a quick measure and with the 3mm spacer, there will still be 4-5mm left of the 60.1 area of the hub protrusion. All is well.

also quick note to be added to the OP: Usable rotor thickness in the rear calipers is about 18mm max

Everything should be coming in by the end of this week and I will be test fitting one side to see how it all works out
fingers crossed!

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: May 6, 2017 - 9:48 PM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post May 18, 2017 - 6:31 PM
+Quote Post
urbandork

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 16, '04
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

I used 97-01 Infiniy Q45 front disc on the front of my st165 with 205 caliper. Had a 6gc so I've read about st165 st185 at200 st202 st204 caliper disc swaps between single and dual pots calipers and gaining larger disc across st gt gts models. So it seemed like what was done with a st165 might be applicable to a 6gc.

Only 3mm shaved off calipers, more than enough ball joint clearance, pretty much full pad engagement to disc face. No need to turn down disc diameter, only had to re drilled to 5x100.

Had a friend (MaskedMan) test it on a gt knuckle with I think camry hubs as he's doing a 5x114 conversion and he had 2mm of pad overhang on the inside vs my 2mm over hang on ouside. Iirc he also had to shave 1 or 2mm more off the caliper ears but that might have more to do with the non 6gc hubs.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...=482084#p482084

This post has been edited by urbandork: May 18, 2017 - 7:48 PM
post May 19, 2017 - 6:09 AM
+Quote Post
urbandork

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 16, '04
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Using a flat edge against the face of the hub (where the disc goes) and a caliper with a depth gauge, I measured the distance from the knuckle mounting ears surface (side of ears on the inside facing the motor/the area the caliper ears would make contact with) to be 68mm on the st165. I just held a ruler against the hub and stuck it out so the depth gauge of the caliper would line up with it. I fed the depth gauge through the bolt hole on the ear allowing the base of the caliper to level out on the ears surface.

Can anyone see what this distance is on the st204 with a regular 5x100 hub?

You can refer to my rough drawing for the math but must know the standard dimensions and the hat thicknes of a given rotor.

This post has been edited by urbandork: May 19, 2017 - 6:41 AM
post May 19, 2017 - 8:44 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

dude that drill press with the planer bit worked great!!
Your swap turned out great!
The 5x114.3 conversion throws a few more factors into the mix
Im taking a break on all this for a bit so Ill take a look at everything later and see what info can be swapped between the two

I had a bit of a miscalculation with my little project.
The Rotors I got are a 20mm thick disc and not 18mm as I had thought. So they are 2mm too big.
On the other hand I lined up my 5x114.3 Hub on the ST205 Rotor and I believe it can be drilled to 5x114.3 and then balanced. The Ebrake adjustment hole probably will be useless from that point on. Im taking a break on this whole thing for a bit so I can actually drive the car for the summer

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Mar 17, 2018 - 7:24 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

took measurements of my front rotors so I can hopefully get a solution for a replacement.

AP Racing has the perfect discs but the top hats available for the discs are in questions. Right now the S2000 kit looks like it may be in spec...excpet for the 70.1mm center bore, so I will have to see if they will do custom hub bore...

anyhoo. here are some pretty pics

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Mar 26, 2018 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Jan 9, 2019 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
Fuppylodders

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 9, '19
Currently Offline

Hey, sorry to revive thread...
I'm having a slight issue with fitting of the rear gt4 brakes on the st202 with regards to the disc.
There appears to be about 1mm difference between the 205 disc and the 202 hub. The hub is listed to be 54.1 with the center bore of the disc being 55mm. I understand tolerance required for being able to slot them on. But apparently my hub has a slight taper on it too, as well as the 205 disc having a slight chamfer on the center bore. These added together seem to be creating a slight half mm floating.
It's not me doing the conversion but a garage who are also doing my engine conversion so I can't visual see but that's the information I'm being given. He seems to feel they're not being enabled to sit hubcentric properly.

Does anyone know anything of this? I'm in the UK and got my rear disc from MTEC.
Thanks in advance!
post Mar 14, 2019 - 10:20 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Wow sorry, totally missed this post. I dont get notifications anymore. It sounds like there is a manufacturing error with that disc. I have ZERO problems with fitting the EBC replacements to my hub. It would be very surprising though to see such an error in that disc if it was manufactured to OE spec.
Im sure you resolved it by now but best bet is to bore out the rotor hub diameter a hair to have it fit.

In other news Im re-opening my search for a 2-piece solution for the 5x114.3 swappers. The easy way out is Racing Brake. They have an application for the Non-Turbo Supra. Im a little wary on using them as there isnt much talk about their longevity anywhere about that brand.

Ive started talks with DBA to see if there is a setup that will fit.

For the 5x100 users the BRZ DBA T3s would be bolt on.

For the 5x114.3 users, we will see. The BRZ rotors inner hat diameter may be too small to fit over the RAV4 hubs. I'll check back in when I get more information.

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Mar 14, 2019 - 11:59 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

hmm, i have problems with oem supra rims.... ill probably measure against yours

--------------------

post Mar 20, 2019 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

i remember you did but I forget what the problem you had was.

I think i scared DBA with my inquiry. He asked for what application this setup was for, then I unloaded all the information down upon him, no response back.

BUT. Got pointed to a up and coming company in Australia who is making really good products. Brypar
They do custom anything and everything. They are able to make discs that fit my Apexi hats. They can also make complete rotor sets. Cost is a bit more than off the shelf DBA or AP Racing rotors, but not by much considering they would be custom one off rotors. The quote I have for a pair of disc replacements for my current setup is about ~$600

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!

10 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:21 PM