6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Convertible top motors, How to fix. with pictures!
post Jul 2, 2007 - 9:30 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I made my pins out of titanium drill bits, you can cut them with a dremel tool. to get the pins that are stuck use pin pushers. good luck,

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 19, 2007 - 8:19 PM
+Quote Post
CelicaBuddy

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 1, '04
Currently Offline

QUOTE(aslearvert @ Mar 28, 2007 - 9:38 AM) [snapback]540623[/snapback]

QUOTE(madmods @ Aug 12, 2006 - 6:27 PM) [snapback]468276[/snapback]

please sticky this!

x2

x3!

I JUST got my top fixed today after a year of not working... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

and yup the pins were exactly what the problem was...

If it wasn't for you posting this I probably would have ended up wasting money on two new motors.

THANK YOU!!!

--------------------

1995 Convertible Celica
2003 Nissan Murano SE
post Aug 20, 2007 - 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

I'll try to revise this or maybe make a better version with better pictures now that i once again have my Celica and then maybe it will get stickied (sp?) haha. Anyways congrats to all those with working convertible tops again! biggrin.gif

--------------------

post Mar 13, 2008 - 2:00 PM
+Quote Post
shaunrichard

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 13, '08
From Seven Cities, SE Virginia
Currently Offline

Hello. I just recently found this post on a Google search and it has given me reason to hope. I have pulled both motors and found the sheared-off ends of the pins. I now have two questions:

1) How difficult is it to get the pins out - is there any special tool or technique?

and B) I read that some of the posters have used drill bits to replace the pins. What size works best?

I realize that this is an old post; hopefully someone is still paying attention to it and can help steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

--------------------
'97 GT Convertible - deep jewel green pearl w/tan top, 5 speed, 240,000 miles and counting Gave up the ghost - being resurrected by perkyshadow
post Mar 13, 2008 - 9:17 PM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

Always paying attention to my fellow vert owners smile.gif . The pins are easy to remove, just take something small like a pick or screw driver and tap the remaining piece out. Use that piece that you knock out to find the correct size drill bit. When I have time, I will post better pictures up.

Wow I realized that my last post said the same thing about me updating it when I have time. I really gotta find time frown.gif.

This post has been edited by MaskedMan: Mar 13, 2008 - 9:19 PM

--------------------

post Mar 14, 2008 - 3:48 AM
+Quote Post
shaunrichard

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 13, '08
Currently Offline

Yeah, I find myself saying that a lot. After my post, I realized there was a second page, and right there at the top of the page was the suggestion to use a pin pusher (or punch). I managed to find one at Home Depot, and it just so happens they are sized and the one that got the pins out is a 3/32" so that is the size drill bit I used. I got the motors back together, but I ran out of time (there it is again) last night, so I'll be reinstalling the motors today. Wish me luck.

Oh, and by the way, you should have seen the look on the HD tool guy's face when I told him I wanted to break the bits on purpose. He said he has never heard of anyone trying to break a bit before.

Thanks again for your post.

--------------------
'97 GT Convertible - deep jewel green pearl w/tan top, 5 speed, 240,000 miles and counting Gave up the ghost - being resurrected by perkyshadow
post Mar 14, 2008 - 3:23 PM
+Quote Post
shaunrichard

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 13, '08
Currently Offline

I just re-installed my motors and they work like a charm. I thought I was just going to have to live with a half-working top, but thanks to your post, as well as follow-up information from the others, I have a fully-working convertible top. Now I am really going to have to hide the keys from my wife...

Thanks for the info.

--------------------
post Mar 15, 2008 - 4:12 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

Glad to hear I could be of help. Thank you for posting the drill bit size as well. Enjoy your full functioning convertible top smile.gif.

--------------------

post May 19, 2008 - 12:03 AM
+Quote Post
luisitol

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 14, '06
Currently Offline

this info is awesome. Gonna fix my top this weekend after reading this. I was about to purchase two motors as well. Hopefully it works for me too, will update when I fix mine
post May 19, 2008 - 10:15 AM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

I recently did one of theese for a friend. Luckily the quarter glass motors are the exact freakin same biggrin.gif (mostly wink.gif )

I cut allan wrenches to fit into place laugh.gif My drill bits are too precious to me, but i got a sh!t load of extra allens laugh.gif

--------------------
QUOTE (presure2 @ Nov 6, 2010 - 6:16 AM)
Via FB: fcuking awsome!!! D-man FTW!

QUOTE (DEATH @ Nov 11, 2008 - 5:40 PM) *
Damn D-Man - most impressive.

QUOTE (99GT @ Nov 14, 2008 - 4:04 PM) *
D-Man's post should be a sticky

QUOTE (samir0189 @ Nov 4, 2008 - 10:50 AM) *
LOL, oh boy, you can always count on D-Man for ridiculously hilarious posts.
post May 20, 2008 - 12:40 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

2 years later and I still haven't updated this thread like I said I would laugh.gif . Oh well, looks like most of you guys have been able to figure it out smile.gif. Good work.

--------------------

post May 20, 2008 - 6:35 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (MaskedMan @ May 20, 2008 - 1:40 AM) *
2 years later and I still haven't updated this thread like I said I would laugh.gif . Oh well, looks like most of you guys have been able to figure it out smile.gif. Good work.

lets not wait another two years laugh.gif

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 7, 2008 - 7:40 PM
+Quote Post
luisitol

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 14, '06
Currently Offline

I took the motors out and the pins were the problem. Changed them out for some pins I got at autozone. Worked the first two times I put the top up and down but the third time I think I accidently held the the button for a half second too long when opening the top and the pins broke :-(

I am ordering some heavy duty, Stainless Steel 3/32nd roll pins tonight and installing those next week. Hopefully that'll work better
post Jul 11, 2008 - 10:50 PM
+Quote Post
redhotpepper

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 8, '08
From Washington State
Currently Offline

I'm new here and I could kiss your feet. I just bought a '99 convertible about 3 weeks ago and the top quit working on me this week. I also did a google search and came up with this GREAT thread.

It pays to suck up to the craft guys at work because I told them what the problem was and they sent me home with 3 different types of pins to try. I got everything torn apart but could not get what was left of the pin out. I had to wait for my husband to get home from work and he was able to get it out for me. Unfortunately, the 3/32" size was just a tiny bit too small and wouldn't stay in. We ended up cutting an allen wrench and using that. I put everything back together and it works great again!!!

Now, I need to figure out how to fix the door lock. I bought the car knowing there were a few issues with it but nothing huge and the price I paid reflected that. I've always wanted a convertible so I'm having a great time this summer with it. My kids are loving it too. I bought them scarves and sunglasses since it gets pretty windy in the back seat. It does kind of cut down the cool factor though when I have to put their booster seats in!

Annie (yes, a chick and, yes I fixed it myself)
post Sep 25, 2008 - 1:29 PM
+Quote Post
dgbldr

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 19, '08
From Michigan
Currently Offline

Tapping out the pins is not a problem for me, but how do you guys get the retaining washer off the end of the shaft without breaking it?

post Oct 11, 2008 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
kbprice

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
From Florida
Currently Offline

Ok so I got everything apart and one side had the snapped pin. No problem, punched it out and put in a new pin. Reassembled everything and the damn motors still don't turn. I'm now thinking the relay has gone bad because I can hear it clicking but the motors aren't turning. I hot wired the motors and they both turn but just not with the relay in place. Anybody have a spare relay?

--------------------
1995 Celica GT 5 Speed Convertible
1996 Supra NA-T 5 Speed Targa
2000 4Runner 4x4 Limited Supercharged
post Oct 11, 2008 - 8:49 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kbprice @ Oct 11, 2008 - 8:37 PM) *
Ok so I got everything apart and one side had the snapped pin. No problem, punched it out and put in a new pin. Reassembled everything and the damn motors still don't turn. I'm now thinking the relay has gone bad because I can hear it clicking but the motors aren't turning. I hot wired the motors and they both turn but just not with the relay in place. Anybody have a spare relay?

6gcelicas may have one, pm him

--------------------

post Oct 12, 2008 - 9:49 AM
+Quote Post
kbprice

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
From Florida
Currently Offline

Upon further investigation I think the inertia switch that activates when the car is moving is stuck. Now I just have to figure out where it is. Anybody have any idea before I start tearing the car apart again and tracing wires?

--------------------
post Oct 14, 2008 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
kbprice

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
From Florida
Currently Offline

Last and final update. Ok for all you Celica convertible owners out there that can't figure out why your top won't go up or down even after you pull out and check the motors, check the relay, and inertia switch. OK go into the trunk and pull the little access door off the back of the seat. Inside there is a F**K'N switched marked "MANUAL", flip it up. Now try your top.
At least one good thing came out of this. I fixed the one motor that had a sheared pin in it. Oh, and I found out that there is a freakin switch in the trunk that inactivates the top motors and you can apparently switch it while loading groceries or something into the trunk without realizing it. Thats it. Thanks for watching... tongue.gif

--------------------
post Apr 16, 2009 - 12:24 PM
+Quote Post
redhotpepper

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 8, '08
From Washington State
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kbprice @ Oct 14, 2008 - 7:35 PM) *
Last and final update. Ok for all you Celica convertible owners out there that can't figure out why your top won't go up or down even after you pull out and check the motors, check the relay, and inertia switch. OK go into the trunk and pull the little access door off the back of the seat. Inside there is a F**K'N switched marked "MANUAL", flip it up. Now try your top.
At least one good thing came out of this. I fixed the one motor that had a sheared pin in it. Oh, and I found out that there is a freakin switch in the trunk that inactivates the top motors and you can apparently switch it while loading groceries or something into the trunk without realizing it. Thats it. Thanks for watching... tongue.gif

Aww man, I hate it when stupid stuff stumps you! Glad you figured it out.

Annie

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:59 AM