> New Member $100 Celica purchase
post Sep 16, 2017 - 12:35 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Well long story but, I was working a with my buddy in his food truck at an auction. Didnt plan on buying anything but I was like what the heck ill get a ticket. It was an estate sale so everything had to be sold. Multiple vehicles and whatnot. Found a 98 Celica sitting in the back that caught my eye. And not a great turnout of people. So they begin to auction it and start it at $500, no one says anything for a while. He drops to $300, nothing. Drops to $200, nothing. So then finally drops to $100, and i figured I better speak up before he stops. So I was the only one to bid and got the thing for $100. I probably could have got it for less . Needless to say I had no info on it before hand. He didnt clean it at all, so I got a bunch a free tools inside such as a 3/8" craftsman impact, pliers, strippers, microwave, etc. Also it didnt have a title so I had to pay an extra $95 at the dmv to get it. Anyways here it is. Not sure the plans for it yet.

Oh and I threw a battery in it when I got it home, Turns over but the tiiming belt isnt spinning, hopefullly the belt teeth just stripped out.
And last but not least, I ended up also buying an 03 Yamaha blaster in decent running shape for $275, and a 300ex for $50 lol.

98 Celica 5spd

This post has been edited by pcol333: Sep 21, 2017 - 7:56 PM
post Sep 17, 2017 - 11:13 AM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Try this again with the pictures:

post Sep 17, 2017 - 3:11 PM
+Quote Post
Bushmatic

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 17, '16
From Grand Rapids, MI
Currently Offline

That's a fantastic car for 100 bucks, there are some nice little bits inside there. What are your plans for it?

--------------------

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Apr 22, 2017 - 4:49 PM) *
I currently live in MN and have always been a Toyota my whole life.
post Sep 17, 2017 - 11:04 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

I was pretty excited myself! It is the first Toyota ive owned. The plan is to throw some headlights, taillghts, and front bumper on it, straighten the dents, and paint the wheels. And take care of any other minor things, and either use it as my daily instead of my prerunner, or use it as my first Autocross car, then transition into SCCA road racing down the road. Or sell it later on if someone offers the right price.
The interior actually cleaned up really good and only need one rear speaker cover, and some glue on one of the tabs for the tweeter cover. And the paint cleand up real good too except for the damage spots.
post Sep 21, 2017 - 10:25 AM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Found out why the timing belt wasnt spinning!

post Sep 24, 2017 - 6:24 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Not sure if anyone is reading, but after a new timing belt, pulleys, water pump, belts, coolant cap and a few hoses it fired right up first hit! Runs absolutely perfect, and is pretty peppy. After sitting for 3 years im impressed. So now since it has a full tank of old fuel im trying to run the fuel out of it by driving the car around as much as possible. Only other thing i will need to do is recharge the AC and then fix the body parts. Oh and the brakes sounded absolutely terrible until the rust got knocked off lol.
post Sep 26, 2017 - 8:35 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

QUOTE (pcol333 @ Sep 24, 2017 - 7:24 PM) *
Not sure if anyone is reading, but after a new timing belt, pulleys, water pump, belts, coolant cap and a few hoses it fired right up first hit! Runs absolutely perfect, and is pretty peppy. After sitting for 3 years im impressed. So now since it has a full tank of old fuel im trying to run the fuel out of it by driving the car around as much as possible. Only other thing i will need to do is recharge the AC and then fix the body parts. Oh and the brakes sounded absolutely terrible until the rust got knocked off lol.

I store my car for winter (4-6months) and the brakes are brutal after, I can't imagine 3 years haha. Nice pick up!
Lets see some pics of this prerunner you've got too haha

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Sep 27, 2017 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

post Sep 28, 2017 - 8:34 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Very nice pickup for just $100,. Love the prerunner too! Keep up the work, and keep posting, we love to see the progress.
post Sep 28, 2017 - 8:40 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

Sick looking truck! Is that a Titan?

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Sep 28, 2017 - 11:12 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

looks like a great $100 project. all the little bits shouldn't be too hard to find/fix. you already got the hard part done, timing belt etc and it runs great so you're off to a great start. give her a wash and show us how it looks after being cleaned up a bit. smile.gif

and damn that's a nice looking truck!

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 28, 2017 - 4:19 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Can't go wrong on a car when you pay less than scrap value, nice to see it already running again.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 29, 2017 - 12:17 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Heres the only pic i have of it cleaned up, will get some more later. Plan on powdercoating the wheels, also. Ive been driving it around the farm since i havent fixed the lights yet, dont want to get pulled over. And my truck is an 06 Frontier 6speed 4x4 with Titan headlights, titan front diff, titan coilovers, titan arms, titan axles, until i swap it out for full long travel. Its pretty much mid travel right now.

post Sep 29, 2017 - 12:31 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Also, can anyone tell me if these two were connected with a hose? The connector is broke off in the intake hose and wasnt sure if it was a T connector, or just a straight reducer connector that went to the valve cover via a rubber hose, or if it went somewhere else. Thanks

post Sep 30, 2017 - 2:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yes it does, and also your PCV line above the 2200 badge needs reconnected, here's a so so picture:

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 2, 2018 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

Well, been making lots of progress on the Celica, decided to do a full body repair, rust repair, color change, etc. Almost full gutted, hopefully ill have the engine bay cleared out this week. Havent decided on color yet, but leaning towards a nice blue or black, or both.

post May 4, 2018 - 10:52 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

well this is exciting! keep us updated on here. smile.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post May 4, 2018 - 2:02 PM
+Quote Post
ds8

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 25, '16
Currently Offline

Great thread so far. Can't beat that price.
post May 4, 2018 - 4:36 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

There was a factory colour Baltic Blue that was really nice, then the 7th gen Celica had Carbon Blue and Spectra Blue that were really nice as well.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 4, 2018 - 8:24 PM
+Quote Post
pcol333

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 14, '17
From So-IL
Currently Offline

OK i wiil check those blues out. Im definitely leaning towards blue. I would almost go candy blue but i really dont want to put that much extra work and coats of paint into a car I plan on selling. I should have the complete powertrain out of the car in the few days, my only issue now is deciding whether or not to put all the accessories back in the engine bay, i.e. A/C compressor, lines, condensor, cruise control, evap, power steering, etc. lol. It looks soo clean without that stuff in there right now, though I know it would be much easier to sell with everything re installed. We will see, haha.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 19th, 2024 - 1:19 AM