Here is one camera dump of the weekend, more to follow - I promise

This post has been edited by qatar11: Apr 4, 2010 - 9:36 PM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Oct 5, 2009 - 10:45 PM
+Quote Post
TiGZ461

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 6, '09
From Bergen County,NJ
Currently Offline

Nice stuff dude it looks like you had fun.

Post up some vids, and what place did you place in btw?

--------------------
1996 Toyota Celica ST 25th Anni. Edition #461
post Oct 7, 2009 - 6:32 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TiGZ461 @ Oct 5, 2009 - 11:45 PM) *
Nice stuff dude it looks like you had fun.

Post up some vids, and what place did you place in btw?

We finished 66 out of 122 -not terrible but we spent a lot of time in the paddock fixing problems and very pedestrian driver changes, we might go a little faster with pits next year smile.gif

our fastest lap was around 1:35 and we turned 466 laps.

Full race results here:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1339917

More pics and video to follow

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Oct 7, 2009 - 11:20 PM
+Quote Post
TiGZ461

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 6, '09
From Bergen County,NJ
Currently Offline

That's not bad man!
Any overheating problems, or similar? 466 laps is crazy.
And is there anything you would like to say about the Celica? Performance, speed, handling, etc.
Did it change alot?

Loads of questions but I like circuit racing alot and just wondering how the 6g treated you.

--------------------
1996 Toyota Celica ST 25th Anni. Edition #461
post Oct 8, 2009 - 6:47 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

I started a few threads in other sections... we have a few problems:

Our Kill Switch shattered into a million pieces about 40 minutes before the race. And then as I was driving out to join the parade before green, someone spotted us and explained how incorrectly our safety harness was. We lost almost 90 minutes fixing the harness but I believe him when he said we would have died in any kind of collison over 40 MPH. We got on the track at 1:30 PM

The car handled AMAZING. EBC RedStuff with ST165 calipers in the front. KYB OEM all around with Vogtland spring kit. We could out brake and out turn most cars. The car felt balanced, didn't understeer and didn't over steer. This may have been because I was driving like a nancy out there - the other drivers seemed to agree with me...

The hard brake line under the car rusted through and failed around 5:30 PM - we had to run to the auto store and get a flare tool and some line and fix the leak. We then sprung a leak on the same line a foot or so down. So we had to repair that as well... We got back on the track around 9:00 PM.

We developed a nasty hesitation high in the 6Ks during the second drivers stint after we fixed the brakes. It felt like you were hitting a rev limiter or something - it was a total loss of power. As the car started racking up hours on the track, the hesistation fell into the 5Ks and 4Ks. During driver changes whatever it was that was malfunctioning would cool off and the process would repeat.... hesitations at 6Ks... 5Ks... etc.... by the end of the race we were in 5th gear almost all the time and at like 3K RPM.

Also towards the very end of the race - we felt a bit of understeer as well - could be tires (they were never rotated) / tire pressure. or it could have been the rear hatch we removed ~ 9:00PM... dunno.. too many variables for my feeble mind

Power... hard to say with our nasty hesistation... I am actually pretty torn about the power conversation. The car lacked power - no question. But - does the lack of gobs of power make me a better driver in the sense that I have really learn to carry speed through a turn? I am of that opinion. So we might hold of on doing anything - and really the only options is engine swap sadly. 100 HP is really pushing it out there - most everyone had least 50% more than that, and then all the BMWs, Mustangs, Alfas.... so... I think I'll keep the engine we have, maybe clean it up so we get back some HP that way - exhaust, etc....

All in all I am very pleased with the car, next steps are to replace all the brake lines, replaced the exhaust manny (has a crack) and possibly run a new exhaust that is a little larger dai, little lighter, and has a little more sound so we don't sound like sewing machine out there.

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 8, 2009 - 6:52 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 8, 2009 - 4:54 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Track:

We did get to do the full course (not the short course after station 4)

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 8, 2009 - 4:55 PM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 9, 2009 - 3:01 AM
+Quote Post
Hanyo

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 16, '03
From Bay area
Currently Offline

This has been one of the most interesting post I've seen on here in a long time.

A couple of things I recommend would be to:

1) removed all the headlights and sell them. They cost alot to replace and aftermarket cheap driving lights are not street legal but perfect for the track.

2) cut out the inside door seems and welding them shut. You have a roll cage already. Opening the doors to get in and out would not help much. Might as well do what NASCAR does and sit on the window sill everytime you get inside/out of the car.

3) Removed all the quart panels with thin plexi glass or lexan. This prevents shattered glass from entering the car during car on car contact.

4) Get some front strut tower bars or use the oem GT strut tower bar. The entire rear end of the car is stiffen from the roll cage but your front is not re-enforced? This will make the front flex more then usual and cause overseer. Not to mention numb the steering. Since this track is very large and is lemans style race you want to keep the tire planted. Any drifting from slide will just chew up your tires..

5) install a front splitter?

Last question i have is what tire pressure are you using? During track days your tires should more air then oem requirements. Somewhere along the lines of 40psi, depending on the weather and tire temperature.

This post has been edited by Hanyo: Oct 9, 2009 - 3:01 AM
post Oct 9, 2009 - 6:36 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Hanyo, all good suggestions, responses:

QUOTE (Hanyo @ Oct 9, 2009 - 4:01 AM) *
1) removed all the headlights and sell them. They cost alot to replace and aftermarket cheap driving lights are not street legal but perfect for the track.

I know what your saying here - but I love the look of the car with all four lights - one my favorite things about celicas. And for night driving, these lights did very well during night driving

2) cut out the inside door seems and welding them shut. You have a roll cage already. Opening the doors to get in and out would not help much. Might as well do what NASCAR does and sit on the window sill everytime you get inside/out of the car.

Definately an option... if we do this - we need to re do the X bar on the drivers side to possibly push out into that space that you just described by cutting out the doors - Believe it or not - and I think this is because the X bar is not push out, it is very hard to get in and out of the car with the door closed.

3) Removed all the quart panels with thin plexi glass or lexan. This prevents shattered glass from entering the car during car on car contact.

Right - we removed the door glass and only have the front and rear + the small pieces of glass remaining... we are considering plexi or lexan

4) Get some front strut tower bars or use the oem GT strut tower bar. The entire rear end of the car is stiffen from the roll cage but your front is not re-enforced? This will make the front flex more then usual and cause overseer. Not to mention numb the steering. Since this track is very large and is lemans style race you want to keep the tire planted. Any drifting from slide will just chew up your tires..

A very good call - we were worried about getting dinged at the Bull**** Inspection rocking front and/or rear strut bars - however - the judges took pitty on us bringing a FWD celica and did not even pop the hood - ALSO teams were installing strut bars after BS inspection so that is always an option - I wonder if the OEM front strut brace is really enough?

5) install a front splitter?

Another good idea - we actually have very poor under car aerodynamics at the moment... with I mean is that all the underbody cladding is missing. I think you are on to somethimg but we really need to do is replace all the under body cladding - with stock or maybe something else.... When Top Gear did a 24 Hour race - they made a front spoiler out of a large piece of particle board to give the front underside a nice smooth flat path for air... This does come up to the rear hatch discussion... do we ever get up to speed where this matters? I agree it will help *drag* but maybe not downforce

Last question i have is what tire pressure are you using? During track days your tires should more air then oem requirements. Somewhere along the lines of 40psi, depending on the weather and tire temperature.

We don't know what tire pressure we were running - I feel it was OEM - 32/33 - we were supposed to pump it up..... so next time we'll try to take better care of the tire pressure - we were thinking 38/36 or so

This damn race car is going to totally derail my "real" car project LOL

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 9, 2009 - 6:38 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 10, 2009 - 8:13 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

sounds like a fun time mikey!! that track looks like a blast!

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Oct 10, 2009 - 6:36 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

http://jalopnik.com/5375987/the-top-122-le...lemons/gallery/

The full gallery of....... excellence?

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 28, 2009 - 8:04 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

More Photos!
http://picasaweb.google.com/mjcoury/24hour...feat=directlink

Just a taste...

This post has been edited by qatar11: Oct 28, 2009 - 8:05 PM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Oct 29, 2009 - 12:52 AM
+Quote Post
mmmchocolate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '08
From Idaho
Currently Offline

QUOTE (qatar11 @ Oct 28, 2009 - 7:04 PM) *

oh man how many different colors are on that?! looks like it was fuN!

--------------------
A work in (extremely slow) progress
post Jan 18, 2010 - 12:47 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Hey all -

starting to shake off the bitter cold of Michigan with some race car work.... new fuel tank and fuel lines..

Pics here...

http://www.celicawiki.com/blog/?p=157

The condition of these used parts from Cali were AMAZING!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by qatar11: Jan 18, 2010 - 12:51 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Jan 18, 2010 - 3:42 AM
+Quote Post
windowlicker

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 2, '08
From SoCal
Currently Offline

great to see you racing a 6th gen, looks like a hell of a lot of fun. i was thinking you might be able to make a one piece underbody panel out of a thin sheet metal. would be inexpensive and do the job. good luck.
post Jan 18, 2010 - 7:37 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Yeah - its been discussed a bit - our driving ability is not to that point yet and we could use a thin piece of particle board or something - they did it on Top Gear with their budget 24 Hour Diesel Merc? The real trick would be mounting it...

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Jan 18, 2010 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

W00t - Jalopnik!!!111!!

LeMons Torture Test

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Jan 27, 2010 - 8:32 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Time Delayed Videos of replacing the brake and fuel lines are here:

http://www.celicawiki.com/blog/?p=167

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Apr 4, 2010 - 9:42 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Next race is only two weeks away - I will keep you guys updated - I should also have a time elsapsed video of all the work (16? hours or so in like a 3 minute video)

Lots of fixes on the car

- Wide band 02
- New Coil
- New Brake Lines
- New Fuel Lines
- Obligatory Oil and Coolant Flush
- New Roll Cage Padding
- Paint and Decals
- New Tires

Man - pimping ain't easy smile.gif

More Pics Here!

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Apr 5, 2010 - 6:07 PM
+Quote Post
wjhoffman

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 26, '10
Currently Offline

I'm only about 1.5 hours from there. That looks like it'd be fun. I can't race my Celica though, it's my only ride to work.

Edit: Ah looks like the cars need pretty major outfitting anyway. frown.gif

This post has been edited by wjhoffman: Apr 5, 2010 - 6:16 PM
post Apr 6, 2010 - 9:50 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Prepping the car for paint:

You Tubes Part 1

You Tubes Part 2

You Tubes Part 3

This post has been edited by qatar11: Apr 6, 2010 - 10:31 PM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:54 PM