Ted95

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '09
From Westport, MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Mar 6, 2013 - 11:21 PM) *
Then you find yourself crawling through your trunk to be able to pop your hood

don't forget up and over the massive bass box lol

I think its a cool looking mod seeing a grew up around old hot rods which is a common thing for them. but I can see where it could get your car into trouble. . our cars are easy enough to break into even with the door handles let alone a little hidden button to pop the doors open.

I think it will look pretty clean once done though!

--------------------
st205 powered ss3 coupe
post Mar 6, 2013 - 11:53 PM
+Quote Post
bLaCkFoXsA

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 6, '13
From South Australia
Currently Offline

He's running a boot mounted battery for the sub installation
post Mar 6, 2013 - 11:55 PM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

dual battery and looking at a viper backup battery for the alarm if its needed, also the door poppers can have an external mounted button for backup if the remote is to faill
post Mar 7, 2013 - 11:10 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Make sure you put at least one of those poppers on then lol
My buddy didn't on his 97 accord 4 door (shave all four handles lol) an had to do just what I said lol

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Mar 7, 2013 - 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

haha yeah i will have to. but worst comes to worst at least its a hatch with easy cabin access from the back not like a proper boot, id be truly stuffed then
post Mar 29, 2013 - 2:33 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

So a minor parts update, Not much more progress made that is picture worthy yet....

Got the Viper alarm about 25% installed (Just the remote start atm) Remote Start Demo
The wiring was such a head f**k to get right and how i wanted it. Basically it wanted me to do some stupid sequence of foot on break, handbreak and some other **** that has to be done perfectly to enable the remote start and it had to be done each time i planned to remote start it....
So I've overridden that so I can remote start it whenever i feel. (Little risky if left in gear, But I figured I never park it and leave it in gear anyway)

Other than that a bunch of parts have been slowly arriving....

CarPC Power Supply designed for car use (Auto on/off with ignition)

7" Touch screen for CarPC. (Required a bit of work to get suitable for Dual din fitting: Pics

Dual Battery Isolator Kit

Another Monoblock Amp (Only got 1 more Monoblock and 1 more 12" sub, Then all my audio gear has been collected *bighappyface* )

and 5 Pin Relays

Hopefully i will get some s#*t done and get some more pics up soon
post Mar 29, 2013 - 9:08 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

CarPC thumbsup.gif

I had one in my old Subie..It's amazing how fast you become a Computer Engineer when you're trying to figure out everything about it haha

--------------------
post Mar 29, 2013 - 9:25 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 29, 2013 - 9:08 AM) *
It's amazing how fast you become a Computer Engineer when you're trying to figure out everything about it haha

No...just no.
post Mar 29, 2013 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 30, 2013 - 12:38 AM) *
CarPC thumbsup.gif

I had one in my old Subie..It's amazing how fast you become a Computer Engineer when you're trying to figure out everything about it haha

Yeah I'm quiet handy when it comes to computers so for me its mostly basic

QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 30, 2013 - 12:55 AM) *
It's amazing how fast you become a Computer Engineer when you're trying to figure out everything about it haha

No...just no.

Why not frown.gif
post Mar 29, 2013 - 11:44 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lilguy @ Mar 29, 2013 - 9:29 AM) *
QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 30, 2013 - 12:38 AM) *
CarPC thumbsup.gif

Yeah I'm quiet handy when it comes to computers so for me its mostly basic

QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 30, 2013 - 12:55 AM) *

No...just no.

Why not frown.gif

Because a CarPc is just the tip of the iceberg in the responsibilities and education of a Computer Engineer.

It would be better suited to say you become a Car Audio Technician, then an computer engineer, or anything IT related from figuring out a simple CarPc. I know I'm being a prick about it, its just an annoyance I have.

Though, I do like the avenue you are going. Very similar to my goals when I get to doing interior. I just intend to use a ITX motherboard with a mounted screen in the din, instead of a CarPc, mainly because the CarPC will not have the rs232 ports I require for the engine monitoring I plan to create.
post Mar 29, 2013 - 11:51 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 30, 2013 - 3:14 AM) *
Because a CarPc is just the tip of the iceberg in the responsibilities and education of a Computer Engineer.

It would be better suited to say you become a Car Audio Technician, then an computer engineer, or anything IT related from figuring out a simple CarPc. I know I'm being a prick about it, its just an annoyance I have.

Though, I do like the avenue you are going. Very similar to my goals when I get to doing interior. I just intend to use a ITX motherboard with a mounted screen in the din, instead of a CarPc, mainly because the CarPC will not have the rs232 ports I require for the engine monitoring I plan to create.

Not sure where your going with the ITX mobo instead of a CarPC? and a CarPC not having ports? a CarPC is basically a PC you put in a car.? take mine for instance, A Mini-ITX motherboard with an AMD APU powering it and a 7" touch screen installed in the dual din.... basically a miniature desktop PC.. as for engine monitoring, whats your plans there? You couldn't just use a OBDII to USB to get the readouts onto the PC?

Pic of my CarPC

This post has been edited by lilguy: Mar 29, 2013 - 11:59 AM
post Mar 29, 2013 - 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Haha I figured someone was going to get butt hurt tongue.gif I go to an all engineering school and we call the CE/CS guys the liberal art majors of the school. And we call gym PA because the Petroleum Engineers get butthurt when it's called PE..

And yes, I've had to take a ton of EE and programming classes. Doing a CarPC isn't nearly as hard. Sorry for shifting you the wrong way Rave. Just havin fun tongue.gif

Edit: and yes, I programmed my pc with code I wrote. It's not my usual area of practice. I'm a Mech E..

This post has been edited by Malek: Mar 29, 2013 - 12:02 PM

--------------------
post Mar 29, 2013 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lilguy @ Mar 29, 2013 - 12:51 PM) *
QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 30, 2013 - 3:14 AM) *

Not sure where your going with the ITX mobo instead of a CarPC? and a CarPC not having ports? a CarPC is basically a PC you put in a car.? take mine for instance, A Mini-ITX motherboard with an AMD APU powering it and a 7" touch screen installed in the dual din.... basically a miniature desktop PC.. as for engine monitoring, whats your plans there? You couldn't just use a OBDII to USB to get the readouts onto the PC?

CarPC cannot do everything I intend to accomplish in the small package that it arrives in, I'll never argue its a solid unit. Mainly hardware. I would also like easier access to the unit for future upgrades and ease of wiring. As I intend to install the case under the passenger seat.

End result, I would like to be to pull over, connect my VPN via my cell, and address issues literally from the screen in my dash. Will even have a small pullout keyboard with roller.

Just saw the pic you put up. Yea that is different that want I recall from a CarPc, I thought you were doing the giant Din all in one package. You are going the exact route I want =P

Oh yea, my car isn't OBDII =/ Thus my creation of monitoring.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Mar 29, 2013 - 12:01 PM
post Mar 29, 2013 - 12:07 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 29, 2013 - 11:58 AM) *
Haha I figured someone was going to get butt hurt tongue.gif I go to an all engineering school and we call the CE/CS guys the liberal art majors of the school. And we call gym PA because the Petroleum Engineers get butthurt when it's called PE..

And yes, I've had to take a ton of EE and programming classes. Doing a CarPC isn't nearly as hard. Sorry for shifting you the wrong way Rave. Just havin fun tongue.gif

Edit: and yes, I programmed my pc with code I wrote. It's not my usual area of practice. I'm a Mech E..

Its no problem =P

Wasn't doubting your abilities, just saying the title was mis-used

This post has been edited by rave2n: Mar 29, 2013 - 12:07 PM
post Mar 29, 2013 - 12:14 PM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Mar 30, 2013 - 3:29 AM) *
CarPC cannot do everything I intend to accomplish in the small package that it arrives in, I'll never argue its a solid unit. Mainly hardware. I would also like easier access to the unit for future upgrades and ease of wiring. As I intend to install the case under the passenger seat.

End result, I would like to be to pull over, connect my VPN via my cell, and address issues literally from the screen in my dash. Will even have a small pullout keyboard with roller.

Just saw the pic you put up. Yea that is different that want I recall from a CarPc, I thought you were doing the giant Din all in one package. You are going the exact route I want =P

Oh yea, my car isn't OBDII =/ Thus my creation of monitoring.

ahh ok makes sense, yeah the CarPC game has changed a lot since them all in one units. now days its way better to make up your own as you said for upgrading and stuff

when you get that engine monitoring gear hand me some so i can get the virtual tacho and stuff on my CarPC wink.gif (im assuming for the 5s-fe? with no obdII frown.gif )

This post has been edited by lilguy: Mar 29, 2013 - 12:16 PM
post Mar 29, 2013 - 12:19 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lilguy @ Mar 29, 2013 - 12:14 PM) *
when you get that engine monitoring gear hand me some so i can get the virtual tacho and stuff on my CarPC wink.gif (im assuming for the 5s-fe? with no obdII frown.gif )

Will do, not sure if I'm going with an open source OS, or MS yet. All in good time I'll work it together.

Hmm my monitoring will be for a 3sgte, no obdII. I'm still working on the circuits for the monitoring I want to display, but once completed it should be easy enough to change the values based on engine. I can only assume there is already something out there doing the same, I just want a more personalized touch.

Either or, solid work on that "CarPC" nothing to critique there!
post Mar 29, 2013 - 12:58 PM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

Thanks man and GL with the monitoring gear. i needs it wink.gif its that or swap out to an OBD II engine of some sort tongue.gif
post Mar 30, 2013 - 1:26 PM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

So i got a bit bored and it was a nice night to do a little work so i got a couple things done...

The battery isolator for the Aux battery is installed and ready
Before

After

I also decided to make a start on the door poppers, So far just manual pop not wired to alarm aux channel yet to operate via remote
Popper Test

That's all for now smile.gif
post Mar 31, 2013 - 6:16 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

Hooked up the relays for the door poppers to the alarm system so I can now remotely pop the doors..

Sample activation

Yay for tiny update tongue.gif
post Apr 15, 2013 - 10:36 AM
+Quote Post
lilguy

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 20, '10
From South Australia
Currently Offline

Little more work on the boot install....

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:46 AM