6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Car Progress Thread v2.0, Replacing rusted out quarter panel... yay body work.
post Oct 6, 2010 - 6:14 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

yes sir, ABS.

--------------------
post Oct 11, 2010 - 1:10 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

So I did a lot of work this weekend, I will post pics tonight. I didn't finish everything I wanted, but its getting there. I am having an audio problem though..

I removed both factory amps (premium 8spk sound system) and installed my aftermarket head unit. I wired it exactly the same way I had it in the other celica and it isn't playing correctly. I only hear sound from the two 4" door speakers and I can only hear it when I turn it up to maximum (and then its still very quiet).

I am curious to why I am not getting sound in any other speakers and why its so faint. Could the system just demand so much more power since their are 8 speakers and two of them 8"? I would still think the two rear speakers would be playing though?

Any thoughts?
post Oct 11, 2010 - 1:23 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

Yeah Bro - that's not your problem. The first sytem I converted waaaay back when had the same issue until I found out [thru this site - it's why I initially came here back in '03 LOL] that I had to remove the stock amplifiers. You say you already did that so I am at a loss here.
The only thing I can say is 8 stock speakers will not be too much for any decent H/U

This post has been edited by DEATH: Oct 11, 2010 - 1:23 PM

--------------------

ENGINE: '93 RC 3S-GTE/WRC CT-20b [18-20PSI]
PERF: TRD/HKS/ARP/NGK/MSD/ACT/Blitz/STRI/APEX'i/TwosRus/GReddy/Magnaflo/KOYO
SUSP: Tein/Bilstein/SusTech/
INT: SS-III SEATS/Toyota Hyper Sports
EXT: WRC/TRD/404
QUOTE (lagos @ Aug 25, 2010 - 10:13 AM) *
Its a safety feature so that people like you don't end up killing themselves or everyone around them.
Slow down Paul Walker.

6GC Chat - Go there: [url="http://www.griffgirl.com/forum/chat/index.php[/url]
post Oct 11, 2010 - 1:29 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 2:23 PM) *
Yeah Bro - that's not your problem. The first sytem I converted waaaay back when had the same issue until I found out [thru this site - it's why I initially came here back in '03 LOL] that I had to remove the stock amplifiers. You say you already did that so I am at a loss here.
The only thing I can say is 8 stock speakers will not be too much for any decent H/U

Thanks man, at least that eliminates that concern. I'm at a loss as well since it was an entirely stock system I removed and replaced with wiring that was working in my other celi? I did run into one problem though, when I was installing it I wasn't getting any power to the radio and checked the fuse under the hood. Well there is a blank looking fuse in the middle of the box and they guy before me had put a 7.5 there. It must have fried during my install (shorted probably). I placed the blank looking fuse that is supposed to be there, back in its place and then the power was back on. Maybe I need to check some other fuses while I'm at it.

The only radio related fuses are the two in the engine bay and the one under the dash correct?
post Oct 11, 2010 - 1:32 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jcbass7 @ Oct 11, 2010 - 1:29 PM) *
The only radio related fuses are the two in the engine bay and the one under the dash correct?

Correct

--------------------

Its a safety feature so that people like you don't end up killing themselves or everyone around them.
Slow down Paul Walker.

post Oct 11, 2010 - 1:44 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 2:32 PM) *
QUOTE (jcbass7 @ Oct 11, 2010 - 1:29 PM) *

Correct

haha bummer.. i was hoping there was one i forgot and that would solve all my problems

Thanks for the help so far Death
post Oct 11, 2010 - 2:27 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

Well I figured out part of the problem. There was a small switch on the back of the radio that switched between "norm" and "ext ap" which I assume means exterior amp? or something to that effect. Anywho that got the volume back to normal. But I am still only getting sound from the two four inch speakers. The 8's, tweet's and rears are silent. This problem might have been present before the new head unit though.

Any ideas on that front?
post Oct 11, 2010 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

Rewire it all bro - you got the interior half gutted anyway. It's the only way to be sure you are starting with everything working. Put some good quality wire in there and call it a day.

--------------------

Slow down Paul Walker.

post Oct 11, 2010 - 2:50 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 3:43 PM) *
Rewire it all bro - you got the interior half gutted anyway. It's the only way to be sure you are starting with everything working. Put some good quality wire in there and call it a day.

Sounds like a decent idea actually. So if I only have front right, front left, rear right, rear left speaker wires coming out of my head unit, how do I wire in 8 speakers? Can I just wire a few in parallel?
post Oct 11, 2010 - 2:51 PM
+Quote Post
95st-celica

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 29, '07
From Philly
Currently Offline

i installed a "flip out" head unit in my car and never had a problem with the nosie, but seeing that you got that figured out, thats good. Now onto problem 2. I have JL 5" speakers in my doors, and kennwood tweeters. When i installed them the 5" JL's came with crossovers, for the tweeters. Are you using crossovers? do you have any wires bridged anywhere, or spliced into another speaker? I have come to find out that audio wireing, yet simple, can still be complex, and the sound will not be as good/clear if you dont have a very neat, clean set up. Check all your wireing again, i know its a pain in the ass, but there might be somewhere that some solder came off the back of the speaker and it has a loose connection, or the wires are toucing and grounding out, hence no sound. i didnt have tweeters in my car, so i dont know if the stock tweeters come with crossovers, but i would look into that as well. check to see that the crossover is wired up correctly, into the tweeter, into the speaker, and the wires are going in the right slots on crossover. (or an aftermarket AMP if that applys to you.)

--------------------

I"M NOT A TOYOTA FAN, IM A FANATIC
1984 accord hatch 5 speed (T-Belt)-Junkyard
1991 VDUB jetta wolfsburg Ed. 5 speed (clutch)-junkyard
1988 Dodge Aries K (sold)
1969 Chevy El camino - Traded for celica
1991 Dodge Daytona-Traded for Celica
1988 Chevy Camaro-Work in Progress
1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 - For Sale
1995 Toyota Celica-Work in Progress
post Oct 11, 2010 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (95st-celica @ Oct 11, 2010 - 3:51 PM) *
i installed a "flip out" head unit in my car and never had a problem with the nosie, but seeing that you got that figured out, thats good. Now onto problem 2. I have JL 5" speakers in my doors, and kennwood tweeters. When i installed them the 5" JL's came with crossovers, for the tweeters. Are you using crossovers? do you have any wires bridged anywhere, or spliced into another speaker? I have come to find out that audio wireing, yet simple, can still be complex, and the sound will not be as good/clear if you dont have a very neat, clean set up. Check all your wireing again, i know its a pain in the ass, but there might be somewhere that some solder came off the back of the speaker and it has a loose connection, or the wires are toucing and grounding out, hence no sound. i didnt have tweeters in my car, so i dont know if the stock tweeters come with crossovers, but i would look into that as well. check to see that the crossover is wired up correctly, into the tweeter, into the speaker, and the wires are going in the right slots on crossover. (or an aftermarket AMP if that applys to you.)

I'll have to check into all of this later, but that might help find the problem. Currently the only change from stock on the entire set-up is I removed the two factory amps and installed my aftermarket head unit. (Alpine IDA something)
post Oct 11, 2010 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jcbass7 @ Oct 11, 2010 - 2:50 PM) *

Sounds like a decent idea actually. So if I only have front right, front left, rear right, rear left speaker wires coming out of my head unit, how do I wire in 8 speakers? Can I just wire a few in parallel?

You could but IIRC there is something like a stock passive crossover in or before the doors - I could be wrong tho bro - it's been a minimum 6 years since I had any stock components

--------------------

Slow down Paul Walker.

post Oct 11, 2010 - 4:12 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 4:29 PM) *

You could but IIRC there is something like a stock passive crossover in or before the doors - I could be wrong tho bro - it's been a minimum 6 years since I had any stock components

So.. for example I run the front right to the passenger door (duh) and connect to the crossover and from the crossover it hits all three speakers in the door? I know only the basics of car audio, I had to google what a crossover was.. haha biggrin.gif
post Oct 11, 2010 - 4:26 PM
+Quote Post
DEATH

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 19, '07
From tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jcbass7 @ Oct 11, 2010 - 4:12 PM) *
QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 4:29 PM) *

So.. for example I run the front right to the passenger door (duh) and connect to the crossover and from the crossover it hits all three speakers in the door? I know only the basics of car audio, I had to google what a crossover was.. haha biggrin.gif

Just run it to your door - replace everything along the way but look out for a passive. See if that fixs the fronts. If not keep going [I'd keep going anyway just for the newness].
then repeat with rear speakers.
if none of that fixes it it's the speakers or the H/U

--------------------

Slow down Paul Walker.

post Oct 11, 2010 - 4:33 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DEATH @ Oct 11, 2010 - 5:26 PM) *
Just run it to your door - replace everything along the way but look out for a passive. See if that fixs the fronts. If not keep going [I'd keep going anyway just for the newness].
then repeat with rear speakers.
if none of that fixes it it's the speakers or the H/U

Sounds like a plan, next chance I get I'll tackle that. In the mean time I need to install a few other goodies. One of them is in my sig, just gotta repin the cluster for it tomorrow.

Pictures of some TRD goodies on the car will be up tonight.
post Oct 11, 2010 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

I had a chance to get some more done on the car this weekend while the weather was nice.

Progress:
-Finished installing the short shifter (w/ 4th gen celica shift knob)
-Installed aftermarket Alpine head unit
-Removed the cheap aftermarket fog lamps
-Installed the center console cover (the thick fancy one)
-Installed my TSW 17" rims
-Swapped out the rear suspension for TRD springs (didn't have time to do the front yet)

PICS

Interior Stuff

Removing parts from coupe

^still can't decide if I want to put the 404's on the car or get stock skirts...

In progress

Installed on Hatch (rims and rear TRD springs)

Here is what the drop in the front will look like....

She looks like a monster truck right now with the front still sitting on stock springs. I need to roll the rear fenders since she is rubbing a bit. I didn't expect the rubbing since this same set-up on the coupe didn't rub once, and it started right away on the hatch. I looked and noticed their is a small dent that pushed the lip in a bit and is probably the main reason its touching on this car, since it is only that side.

This post has been edited by jcbass7: Oct 11, 2010 - 10:18 PM
post Oct 11, 2010 - 10:36 PM
+Quote Post
3WayStunna

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '06
From Box Elder, South Dakota
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jcbass7 @ Oct 4, 2010 - 2:43 PM) *
QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 4, 2010 - 2:55 PM) *
Oh, I don't know...maybe the GT-FOUR parts and the 3S? Just a random guess, no idea why you'd want to do that though...

Good luck.

Well you've got some of it haha

The 3S is missing the following items (sold them)
-Mass Air Flow Sensor
-CT-26
-Downpipe
-Exhaust Manifold
-IC and piping

I'm undecided if I want to rebuild it (since its half apart right now anyway) and then get new stuff for it, or just go out and buy a 3rd Gen 3S..

Anyone want to convince me in either direction? Saving money would be the priority at this point.

Well considering my other thread about a 2nd gen in a junkyard near me....if you need either the turbo/MAF sensor or IC with piping let me know.....rather have someone buy parts from the engine instead of seeing it junked in a week or two.

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
post Oct 12, 2010 - 6:38 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

QUOTE (3WayStunna @ Oct 11, 2010 - 11:36 PM) *
Well considering my other thread about a 2nd gen in a junkyard near me....if you need either the turbo/MAF sensor or IC with piping let me know.....rather have someone buy parts from the engine instead of seeing it junked in a week or two.

thanks for the offer, I'm going to hold off on any 3s stuff at the moment. I've got to decide on what my options are and then plan it all out accordingly.
post Oct 12, 2010 - 9:38 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

So I was told the front brakes on the coupe (when i bought it) were from a 7th gen. I took a few pics to see what you guys think. They definitely are a little different, but I wonder if they are an upgrade?

Here are the pics:

Stock

7th Gen??

post Oct 13, 2010 - 3:04 AM
+Quote Post
Johnnyny

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 28, '09
From York pa
Currently Offline

404's!!!

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:24 AM