6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> '98 Celica GT: The Continuation...., Dun dun duuuunnnnnn.....
post Nov 12, 2018 - 2:53 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Nov 12, 2018 - 12:02 AM) *
...only for us to have to fight one dumb ass flywheel bolt that refused to let go so we can mate the hentai arms to the engine.

I don't even know.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 12, 2018 - 10:50 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

drop that engine at the recyclers, and swap a v6

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 12, 2018 - 11:38 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Don't tempt me. There's a 2GRFE and a few 1MZ-FEs sitting in an LKQ not far from me.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 13, 2018 - 12:35 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Too far vested now to change.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 13, 2018 - 8:22 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

NEVAR TOO FAR!!

....yeah... you're probably right......

*shops for a 2GR-FE Supercharger*

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Nov 13, 2018 - 9:34 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

1UZ.
/thread

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Nov 13, 2018 - 9:41 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

DONE!

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Nov 14, 2018 - 12:27 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Actually could probably do a LS4 since it's transversely mounted...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 14, 2018 - 9:13 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

torque-steer like a sumbitch.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Nov 14, 2018 - 4:28 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just throw in a LSD and make the CV axles as equal as possible, should mitigate most of it. First V8 swapped 6th gen, could be special.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 15, 2018 - 11:57 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

This thread got boring. Mods, close///

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 29, 2018 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

So in lieu of getting laid off from work today, I figured I'd get some things taken care of that I've been meaning to get done. Ironically enough, I was going to request a day off to do all of this, but they went ahead and made it permanent for me.

First thing's first. I had the Supra's front bumper repainted a couple of weeks ago due to the paint flaking off for whatever the dumb reason was and hadn't installed it back onto the car until I got the bumper wrapped in clear bra, so here it is:

It's getting wrapped in a new product called Premium Shield. Works the same as Xpel with the same warranty.

While the bumper was getting wrapped, I sat around in this thing that was in the process of getting a full car wrap and ceramic coating

I'll be back to do this type of work again on Monday. I kind of miss it and beats sitting at a desk all day. Bumper will be ready for pick-up Monday once it's all dried and cured.

After that, it was time for a drive across town to get some more work done on the Celica.

Dragged the motor outside to remove the oil pump and water pump in order to remove the oil pan and boy was I in for a surprise.

God damnit....What the hell is this? Metal shavings, red RTV, some other weird clump. What was supposed to be a simple refresh turned into a full teardown and inspection, so here we go.

Valve cover off and it's looking pretty good in there.

Cam caps and cams are off. Nothing surprising.

Head is off and this looks weird....

Time to flip it over and get to the good stuff.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the rotating assembly as it started to get late into the evening and I was ready to go home once I got everything out, but upon a quick inspection, the main bearings looked to be in good condition as well as the thrust washers. Rod bearings were a little rough, but not too bad. Probably will be replacing those. Surfaces on the crank looked to be pretty good.

Nekkid block.

Tomorrow, I'm heading back south to the shop after I hit the junk yard to do some more work on the motor. Goal for tomorrow is to double-check the bearings and mating surfaces, give the block and oil pick-up a very thorough cleaning, and hopefully tackle the valve stem seals or the S51 5th gear. In the mean time, I'll need to order a new headgasket, ARP head studs, thrust washers, and possibly new bearings.

Thank you for joining my Ted Talk.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Dec 20, 2018 - 1:42 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Quick update as of recent:

OEM S54 5th gear.

Selector arm removed.

Synchros off courtesy of a steering wheel puller.

S54 driven gear is out. You can see it on the floor to the left. Used a couple of pry bars to get it out. Super tight fit.

5th gear out exposing the pesky needle bearings.

S51 5th gear and driven gear in along with synchros.

Everything else buttoned right up. Tolerances were tight. To help ease installation of the driven gear and the synchros, you can boil them in hot water for a bit to get them to expand before slipping them on. In my case, I took a socket and a hammer to the driven gear. Getting the 5th gear and the synchros on required a second person to prop the gear against the synchros as they were hammered down to prevent the synchros from coming apart because when they do, it's a pain in the ass.

Sent the bare block, head, crank, and flywheel off to the machine shop for some clean, polishing, and resurfacing respectively.

Now, it's time to tackle the valve train.

GSC ALL THE THINGS!!

Valve stem seals, valve springs, and titanium retainers. Probably gonna dream a bit, but would be nice to see if i can hit an 8000 RPM redline.

The tools required to do the valve stem seals.

Titanium retainer up top with the OEM retainer underneath.
OEM valve keepers.
OEM valve spring to the left of the GSC valve spring.

Old, worn OEM valve stem seal on top and GSC on bottom.

1 down. 15 more to go.

And we are done!

Went to the junk yard a couple of weeks ago to grab some shimless buckets out of a couple of Corollas and a Yaris giving me 48 in total. Going to another yard on Friday to see if I can snag some more so I have enough to use in the Supra as well. Ordered a Cometic headgasket along with ARP head studs as well, so they're waiting to go in.

Ordered some King Racing rod and main bearings today along with some Total Seal piston rings. Bearings should be here right after Christmas so I can at least have the crank sitting back in the block so I can go ahead and install the oil pump with the front main seal along with the rear main seal. Will be honing the cylinders as well so everything's pretty.

Now I just gotta figure out what the part numbers are for some of these damn coolant hoses running around the motor and hopefully I can remember where all of the other parts go as I'm reassembling things. I'm gon' die...

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jan 31, 2019 - 5:29 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

So ummm..... This happened:

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Jan 31, 2019 - 5:47 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

This will decimate some after you put about fifteen grand in it. If we have to, overnight parts from Dallas.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 2, 2019 - 1:38 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 31, 2019 - 4:47 PM) *
This will decimate some after you put about fifteen grand in it. If we have to, overnight parts from Dallas.

Facts.

Everything has been dropped off to the machine shop for work and assembly. Will update with current shenanigans when that comes back.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Feb 22, 2019 - 6:54 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

I'm starting to hate Photobucket again.

Anywho, since the last episode of Dragonball Z, I've had to do a bit more work to the block. I found out where the metal bits that were on the oil pick-up came from.

Piston #3 essentially ate itself and took a ring land with it which resulted in this:

It marked up cylinder 3 pretty good, so it had to be bored out.

Also, the piston ring #2 for piston #4 decided it wanted to be a permanent marking of the piston:

That ended up being a major bummer, so I went ahead and used that time to clear off all of that janky ass blue RTV silicone that was all over the throttle body and inlet body. Buddy of mine had a bench grinder with a wire wheel on it, so off I went.

Oh, heeeyyy... Would ya look at that... There's an OEM gasket hiding under all of that mess. Might spray a coat of gasket maker on it and reuse it since it's a metal gasket and not a paper/plastic one.

Also started to clean off the intake manifold, and TVIS manifold, and just about everything else that was caked in grease.

Don't really have a lot of Before & After pics of this process, but basically imagine everything being black and greasy to clean and looking like aluminum again.

Ordered bigger Wiseco 9.0:1 compression pistons in the 86.5mm form along with some ARP rod bolts and off everything went to the machine shop.

Block received a good cleaning and had the surface decked along with getting the freeze plugs replaced with some new brass ones.

The head was dropped off to be decked as well and also cleaned.

Now I'm just waiting to hear back from Justin at PrimeDriven in regards to getting the correct Cometic headgasket that I need so I can glue the head down to the block. I'll be back at the shop on Tuesday to assemble what I can of the short block in the mean time.

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Feb 22, 2019 - 6:55 PM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Feb 24, 2019 - 6:12 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

All of that is entirely too clean to be reassembled and put back in the car. So the plan is to put the harness back on, run it for a bit, then clean the harness up later?

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 24, 2019 - 10:46 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Feb 24, 2019 - 5:12 PM) *
All of that is entirely too clean to be reassembled and put back in the car. So the plan is to put the harness back on, run it for a bit, then clean the harness up later?

For what I paid for these 2 parts, I might as well leave'em up for decoration in my room and buy another used motor. lol

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

post Mar 13, 2019 - 1:07 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

some more progress. nothing too major I suppose.

2mm Cometic headgasket in with ARP head studs.

Head torqued down per ARP's specs. New oil pump, water pump, ATS adjustable cam gears, and Gates Racing timing belt installed with a new tensioner pulley and tensioner.

Mounted up the turbo for ****s and giggles.

Valve cover got sent off today for powder coating to match the TiAL BOV. If funds allow, I may have the manifold heat shield and the turbo compressor housing coated to match. Will depend on how everything else painted flat black will go. Pretty boring, but I'm ok with it.

I also need to order a new downpipe as the current/old one has some pretty nice cracks going on and I think, by the looks of it, it's going to prevent the wastegate from fully opening anyways.

It's supposed to rain pretty gnarly the next couple of days, but hopefully it'll clear up by Thursday so I can head back to the shop and continue painting and sorting out other parts.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

15 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:09 PM