6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I has a car, Updated 11/1/2015 - Nothing of note.
post Sep 11, 2012 - 1:07 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

It's down on power and up on weight compared to the same gen WRX and Evo (Looking at '96, though the other years are similarly outclassed - GC8D WRX/Evo 4), and has a stinky 50:50 F/R torque split.

It isn't, however, an Evo or WRX and therefore is superior by default. Noone ever built a 'sex spec' GT4.

Edited for derp.

This post has been edited by Anoroc: Sep 11, 2012 - 5:23 AM
post Sep 11, 2012 - 1:52 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Med, I don't do sedans so that rules out the Evo and anything past the first generation WRX. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 11, 2012 - 4:46 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

my car weighed 1340kg before aircon removal, with half a tank of gas and a full interior, with airbags

Both evo and sti post-2000 fattened up to around 1380

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Sep 14, 2012 - 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Finished the front caps. Put them and the skirts on - still needing to drill some holes and get some rivnuts for the rears.

Looks good - scruffier than I had hoped, but such is life when doing things yourself. Next time (?) will be paying someone to do it for me, but this was quite fun in any case.

post Sep 15, 2012 - 1:12 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Looking good. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 16, 2012 - 12:15 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Rear caps fitted, through the wonder of 'oh **** it, that'll do'. Next time (and there will be a next time!) I will be paying someone else to make sure they fit properly - these ones have been reinforced at some point, meaning they don't run flush with the body.

Good enough, certainly, and i'm happy with how they look but next time it'll be better :3

post Sep 16, 2012 - 2:22 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

sick! looks good bro

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Sep 16, 2012 - 9:23 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Such a clean car. Love it!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 28, 2012 - 5:00 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Stupid bloody thing.

Went for a warrant yesterday morning - failed on driver's seatbelt not retracting fast enough (now does - replaced with a new one), brake imbalance at the front (hoping a bleed will fix this) and a crack in the exhaust.

Visited a mate to try and fix all 3. Used a compression tester to find the crack, turns out its about 1mm away from the only flange in the exhaust (silly non-oem system). Think 'k, well, its not that bad.'. Wirebrush to remove crap from around it; awww nips. Its actually about 7mm wide and 1.5" long. At a flange. With a bolt in the way. With that section of exhaust unable to be easily removed. ****.

Changed seatbelt, left brakes till later because angry.

At least now i've got an excuse to put my shiny exhaust tip on!
post Sep 28, 2012 - 7:51 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

recent pics look sweet.

hopefully you can sort everything out for your wof

--------------------
post Sep 28, 2012 - 8:03 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Makes me glad I live in an area that could ****ing care less about your car as long as you pay them for a tag. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Sep 28, 2012 - 8:10 PM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Even if I got away with it, i'd still replace it - it sounds all reverby like a poorly running Subaru at idle, and like i've got an atmo venting wastegate on boost >.>
post Oct 25, 2012 - 2:35 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

So, went to Maidstone Mufflers, paid em $700, got an exhaust, and they fixed the brake issue for me. Top guys.

Due to my desire to push the boundaries of WoF inspector's patience, I asked them to just go with a straight pipe - I had seen a bunch of anecdotes (toyspeed and elsewhere) that a decent muffler (which I thought I had) and straight pipes with a 3S-GTE would keep things well under the noise limit - high 80's dB.

Nope.avi.

112dB, apparently.

The audibly offensive cannon.

Getting a centre muffler put in to bring it back under control. At least it's not leaking anymore, so its safe, just noisy!

Though that said, the noises it makes as it currently is (3" downpipe, decat, straight through to the muffler) is absolutely deluxe.

I've also unplumbed my BOV from the intake. If I'm going to be obnoxiously loud for my own enjoyment, i'm going to do it proper.
post Dec 14, 2012 - 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

****, it's been a while since i've updated this.

Since the above, I clocked up a bunch of distance and decided that I didn't want to lose the sound. 3" downpipe, decat, and only the rear muffler sounds a wee bit hollow at low rpm, but the pops, crackles and backfires make up for it. I decided I couldn't live without it, so just rolled dirty without a Warrant of Fitness for a while.

Then my clutch died. Recently it has been slipping a little - unsuprising, after eleventy million kms under the control of a ham fisted idiot.

Going from here to here, I went to go play games with the speed limiter (excellent quality road, no people etc). Came onto a straight in 5th, applied boot from about 3k rpm. Car revved to 4.5k or so, and then paused, and then spun immediately out to redline with the accompanying smell of a pig thrown into an oil fire.

That was a while ago. It got parked for a bit while I explored my options. Turns out clutch in a GT4 is a pain in the ass. Long story short, $2300 later, I have a solid rivet HD clutch, 5kg chromoly flywheel (down from the 7.4kg stock weight), recond rear diff, fresh gearbox oil and pretty much every other fluid under the sun. The cats who did this also gave me a warrant. Excellent. Pops and bangs are here to stay.

Currently 460 out of 500km done on the run-in, but it already pulls as hard at 60-70% throttle as it did previously at 100%. Definitely recommend it as a mod.

I also dropped a deposit on some projector headlights, which will be here in Feb/March (shipping by sea, container not yet full) which will hit me for around $500 landed (incl GST/shipping). Totally okay with this.

Next on the list is either spacers/tints, or an electronic boost controller (since a Link is a while down the track).

This post has been edited by Anoroc: Dec 14, 2012 - 10:08 PM
post Dec 15, 2012 - 9:48 AM
+Quote Post
timdog1720

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '10
From Bronx NY
Currently Offline

OMG did that say A One Ninety Seven or even WOW One Forty!! OHHHhhh how I wish that was in DOLLARS

Can we all Dream !

This post has been edited by timdog1720: Dec 15, 2012 - 9:49 AM

--------------------
Always fast and going for the look......
post Dec 15, 2012 - 2:35 PM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

1.97 for 91 (lowest octane available here), but it's per litre. 1.40 for diesel!

For 98 (the stuff worth using), it's now around $NZ2.20/L, which means $US6.40/gallon.

Continue to dream, I think you might find other, more pleasant dreams elsewhere tongue.gif

post Dec 15, 2012 - 5:54 PM
+Quote Post
timdog1720

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '10
From Bronx NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Anoroc @ Dec 15, 2012 - 2:35 PM) *
1.97 for 91 (lowest octane available here), but it's per litre. 1.40 for diesel!

For 98 (the stuff worth using), it's now around $NZ2.20/L, which means $US6.40/gallon.

Continue to dream, I think you might find other, more pleasant dreams elsewhere tongue.gif

LMAO 6.40 is insane lol I guess that's why it was a dream

And actually 2.20 NZ is currently 1.86 USD ---- so there is 3.785 Liter to 1 US Gal making it a total of 7.04 USD

YEA!!! Your right - I DARE NOT DREAM-

This post has been edited by timdog1720: Dec 15, 2012 - 6:04 PM

--------------------
Always fast and going for the look......
post Dec 23, 2012 - 9:47 PM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

So, Manfield. Holy **** that was fun.

Get set

Go!

Get overtaken by an incredibly fast STI

Have 200m of chase with ST185RC

Until it blows up in a completely unknown manner after bouncing off the limiter at the first corner.

Did 4 sessions, before first time paranoia kicked in and I decided to leave it there before something died - probably a good thing, given the state of the brakes immediately afterwards.

Prior to being at the track, I had never launched the GT4 from anything more than 2.5k RPM, because i'm not a ****head on public roads. First time, thought "**** it, this is why I paid for a good clutch", 4k RPM launch, all went well, no more than a chirp from the tyres. Second session, thought "well, the tacho goes higher than that..." and launched from the limiter, with an accompanying puff of white smoke out of the bonnet vent. Initially, I thought "oh ****, oil feed to the turbo" or something of that nature, but it turned out just to be the clutch. No regrets.

Managed a best of 1:32 which is admittedly quite poor, but given that the people who actually know what they're doing were complaining of poor times due to the temperature (33 celcius, ick), I'm okay with that. It has highlighted, however, that my lines are terrible (unsurprising, given that it was my first time), and my tyres are worse. Need to pick up some spare wheels to run semis on, or something similar. No noticable difference in tread depth before/after, because the tyres are made of old boots, rather than rubber.

Today, I've replaced all of the brake fluid because it was cooked, which has stopped some of the sponge in the pedal, but as i'm now painfully low on both pad and rotor, they'll both be getting replaced just before next time - there's enough meat to drive like a grandma over summer, thankfully.

Best feel of the day goes to the late shift into second on the hairpin, and the entire car shuffling directly sideways. Bad for my laptime, but hilariously fun.
post Mar 14, 2013 - 1:20 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Oh my, haven't posted for a while.

Adventures since I last posted:

- check engine light - code 54'd. When the clutch was replaced, it doesn't appear they took the time to fill the I/C too stringently. No harm done.

- replaced the air filter (still panel, still stock box) because the old one was full of badgers and ****

- went and got the car weighed with a full tank + me in it: 1500kg. Fatties gonna fat.

- dyed the headliner black - still need to remove the sunroof unit and get the cover out and black that, as well as some of the plastic stuff (around the lights etc)

- Put it on STM's dyno - with downpipe and exhaust only - made 158.5wkw. Clearly not enough, so that day I arranged to pick up a Gizzmo MS-IBC from a mate.

- Installed EBC - later moved it to the DIN pocket under the headunit - the intention is to move it to the centre console at some point.

- Got the EBC tuned by STM again, because 3rd gear pulls on the motorway are a pretty good way to lose your licence. Went to 16psi and left it there (because after 222,xxxkm, pushing a ceramic turbine is not quite the best idea), made 174wkw. It's running rich as hell, so there's plenty more horseponies to be made through a link + tune, or a turbo that can actually manage to hold boost to redline - it tapers to around 14.8 at 7k.

Or both. Where's my credit card at...
post Mar 14, 2013 - 1:33 AM
+Quote Post
Anoroc

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 30, '12
From Wellington, NZ
Currently Offline

Oh ****, that's right - I have projectors turning up within the next week. Christmas!

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:05 PM