> Safari Rally inspired build, tall and off road capable 6G - GT
post Jul 23, 2018 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

I haven't ironed out all the plans, most project cars are open to constant change right. I will be converting this very cheap, high mileage car into another dual sport toy. If you dig around on the internet, you can find my other two Toyotas, 1984 Expedition Celica ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSNS9-qponY&t=16s ) and 1993 Lexus SC400 RX. This time around, pulling from my favorite sport of rallying, and favorite event, East African Safari Rally for all my inspiration, with maybe a little bit of Dakar thrown in. I purchased the car for $700, 278K miles on the clock but with a newer head installed not too long ago. With the help of this Forum, lots of research from various sources and encouragement from friends, the project is off to a good start. The red wheels, just not my style and 17" rims aren't going to cut it in the dirt...

Current work finished:
-Maintenance on fuel and ignition system
-debugged wiring to clean up the engine bay and get the cooling fans working properly
-built custom SS header with race CAT and 2-1/2" dump pipe (to pass emissions)
-tossed original struts and cut springs
-installed 1997 Avalon struts and springs for travel and lift (rears are bolt on, front not really at all, used Rav4 tops, etc..)
-2 of 4 custom engine mounts to replace broken OEM versions with Polyurethane

-Jon

post Jul 24, 2018 - 12:30 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Love the suspension setup, great work. I wouldn't paint a future set of wheels orange (in profile) or yellow again, but I liked it at the time and always thought of it as kind of a rally touch. Maybe you should keep them, although if they are indeed red I wouldn't like that either. Looking forward to progress.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Jul 24, 2018 - 12:30 AM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 24, 2018 - 12:38 PM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jul 24, 2018 - 1:30 AM) *
Love the suspension setup, great work. I wouldn't paint a future set of wheels orange (in profile) or yellow again, but I liked it at the time and always thought of it as kind of a rally touch. Maybe you should keep them, although if they are indeed red I wouldn't like that either. Looking forward to progress.

Those wheels are factory powder coated in red. I'm planning on spray painting them a bronze color soon, paint already bought.
post Jul 30, 2018 - 11:53 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

Third mount built and installed. That mount was TRASHED... A bit less vibration while driving, hardly noticeable on the highway, around town it's still a bit harsh.

post Aug 6, 2018 - 5:00 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

That 84 Celica is badass!
Interested to see how this turns out. Haven't seen a project like this done on a 6th gen yet so it's pretty cool to read on here.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Aug 7, 2018 - 1:09 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Engine NVH, because racecar yo!

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 7, 2018 - 1:39 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Roodwerks @ Jul 24, 2018 - 1:38 PM) *
Those wheels are factory powder coated in red. I'm planning on spray painting them a bronze color soon, paint already bought.

I tried burnt copper engine enamel several years ago. Came out pretty well, will have to dig up pics, other than the last one in my profile where the lighting sucks.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Aug 7, 2018 - 1:39 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Aug 7, 2018 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

more. MORE. MOOOOORE. Hit that fast forward button. I want to see the finished project ASAP

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Aug 9, 2018 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

You and me both... Unfortunately getting motivated to work in the shop when it's 113 deg outside!! I'm holding off on a few things since I have a busy 2 months ahead. But, I'm hoping to keep progress steady, on some detail pieces. In a couple of months, the really cool stuff for me should be happening. Brake upgrades on the cheap, along with bolt pattern change to fit cool wheels and 27" tires. Glad to see other people besides myself are excited about this project.

-Jon
post Aug 13, 2018 - 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

Some pieces followed me home from the salvage yard this weekend, parts I think that will make for a great brake system upgrade. '97 Avalon brakes from all 4 corners, including the rear hubs. This will give me beefier parts, bigger brakes, 2 pot calipers up front, etc.. I was shopping for pieces to fix my Lexus off road car, goofy hydraulic cooling fan system. Figured while I was there sweating in the 100 degree plus weather, might was grab things for the near future. I'll let everyone know how the rear hub assembly works out.
post Aug 16, 2018 - 9:30 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I vote some rally style lighting for this car. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 17, 2018 - 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 16, 2018 - 9:30 PM) *
I vote some rally style lighting for this car. thumbsup.gif

Something I started sketching up a while ago.

post Aug 17, 2018 - 3:14 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

I say you even throw the rally decals right on top of your faded paint to give it an even more rugged look.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 13, 2018 - 9:10 PM
+Quote Post
GuYun14

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 13, '16
From Milwaukee
Currently Offline

This is awesome! Was thinking of doing a similar build to my car. Need more info on the Avalon struts, how does it fit and ride height? And is the swap easy?
post Sep 14, 2018 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

Sorry it's been a little while, I've been busy with other projects, trying to sell my DualSport Lexus SC400 to help fund the Celica, plus I'm the organizer of a rally in the SW which takes up a LOT of time.
Anyways, last night I installed the cruize control actuator that I bought about a month ago. The previous owner had hacked it out of my car. It gave me a chance to clean up the body/chassis under the
battery a little while things were out. I got it all bolted back together nicely, pull cable hooked up and no plug. The harness plug on the chassis is completely missing. I'm assuming it was a break off
from the main bundle that runs over the top of the tranny. Good thing I clipped the harness on the salvage yard car. Hopefully I can find the wires and splice in the connector I have. What's a good toy
without cruize control..?
post Sep 14, 2018 - 6:38 PM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

QUOTE (GuYun14 @ Sep 13, 2018 - 10:10 PM) *
This is awesome! Was thinking of doing a similar build to my car. Need more info on the Avalon struts, how does it fit and ride height? And is the swap easy?

I'll certainly post any issues as I go along. But, if you just like the ride height, the rear struts just bolted on with a tiny amount of top mount reclocking. I loosened the top nut just enough to allow me to rotate the mount something like 5 degrees. The front struts likely could be assembled with the Celica top mount, I just chose to go a different route based on experience with my early Celica. One of the mounting flange holes has to be slotted to match the 6G upright mounting pattern and bolts. I'd suggest using washers added to these bolts, both sides to spread the load.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 10:16 AM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

Progress on the lightbar mounting set-up for the nose.

post Sep 20, 2018 - 8:06 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Sep 20, 2018 - 9:47 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Sep 21, 2018 - 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
Roodwerks

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '18
From Phoenix, AZ
Currently Offline

Sooooo much round-ness... Lovin it!!

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:36 PM