6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2grfe in a celica st204, Yes! Believe it or not.
post Jan 25, 2011 - 11:35 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

hi guys, well i swapped a beams in my celi and its loads of fun, but of course parts are rare, and problematic to fix.

Just to give you an idea, the gasket set is 400 usd, so i dont even think of popping it open.

But 95CelicaST got me inspirated about the V6, and face it 270 is appealing, and parts are galore here...

Well i know the 3sgte is the bomb, the Beams is great. But why cant we play with our stuff here.

Maybe start a shopping list, like the exact parts needed... IDK, its something only 2 6gc owners have explored..

Shopping list edited so far: This is from multiple websites, i will basically edit as i go along... keep info here... most info was obtained from GUOKY's research

edited 6-14-2014 what i have done for me....

- 2GRFE engine from a 2010 highlander with oil cooler (newer oil lines)(its a 5plug ECU harness, that will be discarded)
- ECU from an non immobilized RAV 4 must bee a 2 plug. (this is the most simple ecu)
- OBDII connector. (Located at the driver's knees, get it from your car. if you are obdII
- Engine harness, i went with a ES350 engine harness, it has the plugs i needed its a 2 plugs
- E153 transmission (s54 will work, but you need to know you cant really hit it..)

stuff you dont want to mess with
- A five ECU plug (hard to get the extra 2 plugs from the dash harness, or you buy them for 160 from Guoky, plus the only way to get them immobilized is to get them new from dealer)
- Immobilizer computer (you dont want to mess with this) toyota will make you spin in circles
- Immobilizer antenna and key. (only if you mess with the above, lol)
- avalon ECU, camry or any other ecu ( may have other functions you dont need, or need to wire, and will give you headaches)

This post has been edited by njccmd2002: Jul 6, 2014 - 8:58 PM

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Jan 26, 2011 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
Success21

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '09
From Worcester, Ma
Currently Offline

I think V6 is the way to go especially if you go 2gr. The motors will just become more plentiful as time goes on unlike the 3s since they have to be shipped here. The mr2

guys are hooking there 2gr's up to E153. If I'm correct that means it would bolt up to your s54.the only hard part would be everything else haha. but I'm sure members

here would be glad to give you a hand. the basics from what I can see is you need a special flywheel and clutch set up which the mr2 guys probably know what you need.

Fab up some mounting brackets then see what needs to be routed where. Custom axles, custom wiring if you don't want to take that on i think (DR. Tweak) could help you

out. In the beginning it will be a headache but once it finish it would be awesome.

I am no where near an expert on our cars or doing motor swaps in general i wish i did. But in the future when I have my own personal garage I want to attempt a

2gr/E154f (manual out of a gt4) swap on an 03-08 matrix awd (auto). Right now I have an 03 matrix xr fwd to do the swap I would prefer to have the awd model to start.

well good luck with your build dude!!

--------------------
2003 Matrix XR - Daily Driver
1996 Celica ST - In Progress
1995 Camry LE - totaled :(
post Jan 26, 2011 - 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

all v6s bolt to the s54, but you want an e153.

axles:
s54: gt
e153: mr2 inner, 91 camry v6 outer, spacer

mounts:
s54: all gt except passenger(custom)
e-series: st205 rear, gt front/driver, custom passenger

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

1994 GT: V6 swap, 5speed E53 W/ LSD, All Power, now RED
1995 ST: SOLD @273k miles, Auto, all power, CarPC, White
1994 ST: Totaled, 5spd, all power, Red RIP 07/09/09 @ 241,810
1994 Lexus LS400: This is my new DD
post Jan 26, 2011 - 1:30 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

stock tranny wont hold that 2GR power

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jan 26, 2011 - 1:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

well depends, the s54 from a beams may do well since some have lsd. And the s54 has seen the 5sfte, may not be the most adequate but may just do well...

it will be something fun, im seeing a lot of jdm engines in the market, im trying to stay with a us engine..

dunno, maybe start researching for a rear ended car..

www.copart.com

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 26, 2011 - 8:24 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Jan 26, 2011 - 1:30 AM) *
stock tranny wont hold that 2GR power

[cough] bullsh*t[cough]
i've ran 320ftlbs thru my tranny, at the track, and on the street for years.

its all about the driver, and how you take care of your stuff.

wink.gif

2gr or bust.
custom passanger mount, custom crossmember, lots of wiring (we're talking drive by wire here folks) and call it done.

for the guy who's ballsy enough to try it first, carefull review of which chassis it comes out of and weather or not it has an immobilizer ECU is paramount.
guys over on mr2oc have been going back and forth with that crap for the past couple years.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jan 26, 2011 - 9:42 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

with the 2gr why would it need a custom crossmember if we are using the s54.

So what are the guys using as a base chassis, a Camry? i bet id be fun to have engine immobilizer and all that crap! 5 - 6 grand?

--------------------

post Jan 27, 2011 - 1:08 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=43884 biggrin.gif

--------------------

post Jan 27, 2011 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
Stambo

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 23, '08
From Muskego,Wi
Currently Offline

question about this, this 2gr is a newer motor correct? What about the problems with programing the ecu. I feel newer engines need the exact vin programed into the ecu otherwise the engine will not run. correct? I just feel like that whole situation with the ecu and programming it would be a major headache. I know a few manufacturers are doing this to avoid swapping of ecu's and what not.

--------------------
2nd Gen 3s-gte.... It lives!

97celiman
"92-gt-quit making up random acronyms that dont mean anything. the only real acronym is JDM"
post Jan 27, 2011 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

you feel? some 2GR-FEs have an immobilizer meaning you need the key for the ECU, but the old ones you dont.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jan 28, 2011 - 1:56 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

you just have to get a clip. buy a rear ended car from an auction. Period.

--------------------

post Jan 28, 2011 - 7:56 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jan 26, 2011 - 9:42 PM) *
with the 2gr why would it need a custom crossmember if we are using the s54.

So what are the guys using as a base chassis, a Camry? i bet id be fun to have engine immobilizer and all that crap! 5 - 6 grand?

im not sure you would have to, just assumed it'd be a snapshot kinda deal.

that engine immobilizer is a BIG hassle. guys on the mr2 forums try to avoid them like the plauge.

wiring will be the nightmare of the swap, but im sure tweak could handle it, or the guy on mr2oc that also does harness work.

whos gonna be the first to have the balls to pony up?

once you fab up a proper passanger side mount, and a set of headers, the rest of getting the motor in the bay should be cake.
the question is will the hood close? wink.gif

:edit:
just to add abit more info to the disscussion, it seems from poking around the net some, that alot of the guys that use the 2gr, end up with early rav4 ecus' that do not have the immobilizer.
they are having a hell of a time trying to find a work around for the later avalon and camry ecus that have the immobilizer programming.
there are a couple of guys out there who have access to the propriatary toyota "techstream" programers that havent been able to get the non immobilizer vins to work in a immobilizer equipped ECU (apparently, all the newer toyota flashes are VIN based, which makes sense)

http://www.mr2oc.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188

heres a good thread with alot of good "general information" on the 2gr

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=366606

theres lots more there too. if your not a member, you really should be.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jan 28, 2011 - 10:30 AM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

Yay! I inspired someone!

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Jan 28, 2011 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

you guys are crazy, i guess its something to start researching then...

--------------------

post Jan 28, 2011 - 1:15 PM
+Quote Post
Success21

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 18, '09
From Worcester, Ma
Currently Offline

This might be kind of newb question but what if you ran a standalone could you bypass the immobilizer? I know its alot of money for a standalone but it be worth it so you don't have all that trouble and you can get a newer motor?

This post has been edited by Success21: Jan 28, 2011 - 1:18 PM

--------------------
2003 Matrix XR - Daily Driver
1996 Celica ST - In Progress
1995 Camry LE - totaled :(
post Jan 28, 2011 - 1:22 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

see all you have to do is know what to look for..

http://www.copart.com/c2/onSaleResults.htm...=SEARCH_RESULTS

--------------------

post Jan 28, 2011 - 1:31 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

In order to contribute to this thread, I love the idea of a V6 Celica. If I were to do a swap, I think it'd be only to swap in something halfway ludicrous - a V6, a 4A-GZE, or maybe build me a monster BEAMS or maybe a built 7A-FTE (7A-FZE? redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif)? Anyway, any research done toward such ventures is cool with me. thumbsup.gif Especially because it might help in the future!

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 28, 2011 - 2:36 PM
+Quote Post
stephen_lee

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 22, '07
From Houston, TX
Currently Offline

*drool* awd v6.... yes please?

--------------------
"And, as always, your friendship, help, and dedication to the advancement of Texas Celica dominance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks bro." -DEATH

1994 GT: V6 swap, 5speed E53 W/ LSD, All Power, now RED
1995 ST: SOLD @273k miles, Auto, all power, CarPC, White
1994 ST: Totaled, 5spd, all power, Red RIP 07/09/09 @ 241,810
1994 Lexus LS400: This is my new DD
post Jan 28, 2011 - 5:23 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jan 28, 2011 - 12:31 PM) *
In order to contribute to this thread, I love the idea of a V6 Celica. If I were to do a swap, I think it'd be only to swap in something halfway ludicrous - a V6, a 4A-GZE, or maybe build me a monster BEAMS or maybe a built 7A-FTE (7A-FZE? redface.gif redface.gif redface.gif)? Anyway, any research done toward such ventures is cool with me. thumbsup.gif Especially because it might help in the future!

it will be done, believe me, im tired of the old stuff, need something new. and chop chop cars is fun, believe me. But for a good reason ill do it again.

once i finish with at least of one of the 1st gens and get this out of the way!

thats the official Put your Clip spot in my house.... LOL

--------------------

post Jan 29, 2011 - 3:02 AM
+Quote Post
FORGMANN

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 11, '04
From WI
Currently Offline

Well lets see i have a 94 celica shell and a 2gr and
eb61 6 spd from 08 Auris I imported last yr. (same as
Evora gearbox)

I will drop in soon to test fit but that motor is going into
my mr2 later in yr.

2gr is amazing but it is not cheap to fit and highly suggest
using a E series gearbox. Budget at least 5k+ to do swap

Parts so far for me
2gr (2010 w/ 200miles) and all the extras $2000
EB61 (9,000 miles) $550 shipped from UK (2 day shipping)

Swap is worth it if have money and resources to do it
right. It is taller that 1MZ so hood clearance will gave to
be addressed.

--------------------
Old guy with the toys
95 ST205 WRC (the real deal)
94 MR2 HARDTOP Supercharged 2GR/6SPD 22 owned

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 2:32 AM