> Bigger 5sfe throttle body
post Feb 1, 2011 - 1:05 PM
+Quote Post
NWCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 16, '07
From Seattle
Currently Offline

Im building an intake manifold and want a bigger t/b. are there any for the 5sfe? Thanks
post Feb 2, 2011 - 12:44 AM
+Quote Post
NGHTKD

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '06
Currently Offline

99% sure there's no off-the-shelf item for 5SFE. Although in a thread I read, a 4AGZE throttle body was suggested...
post Feb 2, 2011 - 3:45 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

if you're building an intake manifold you can use any TB u like, just make your own flange

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Feb 2, 2011 - 8:06 AM
+Quote Post
NWCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 16, '07
From Seattle
Currently Offline

The 5s t/b has lots of vacuum/air ports on it. Just need everything hooked back up.
post Feb 2, 2011 - 9:37 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NWCelica @ Feb 2, 2011 - 8:06 AM) *
The 5s t/b has lots of vacuum/air ports on it. Just need everything hooked back up.

if your going to a custom manifold, thats the last thing you should be worried about.
most of them can be blocked off or not used, in fact, the only thing that you really HAVE to have on the 5s throttle body is the AIC valve, and even that can be remote mounted if needed with some creativity.
with a custom manifold, i would think you are deleting EGR, which eliminates the 3 on the top, and the one on the side is just a load idle up, the car will run without it (you could in theory eliminate the AIC altogether and use that to set idle, but thats a whole other ballgame.)
your not gonna find a throttle body that you can just bolt on and plug in just like the stocker, your gonna have to be creative, and its gonna take some research to figure out what will work.
first, you need to decide how large a throttle body you actually need, then start looking for somthing that fits that need.
i would imagine a 3rd gen 3s throttle body would be a nice upgrade, it has a 2.75" inlet, and uses the same style TPS and AIC valves as a 5s, although i dont know for sure if the sensors could be adapted to work with the 5s ecu (although, if your going to be using a custom manifold, you really shouldnt be using the stock ECU anyway)

are you planning on using the stock runners, and making a larger plenum, or making runners too?
i dont know your level of fabrication skills, so excuse me if you already know this, but if your making runners, the shape, legnth and taper greatly affect powerband.
IMO runner length and shape really arnt bad at all on the 5s (they are much like the 3rd gen 3sgte's, actually) its the plenum that really could use the work.
i cant say what the ideal plenum size would be (that depends on alot of factors) but its definetly a bunch bigger than the stock one.
if your making it yourself, can you share your plans and methods of fabrication?
if your planning on having one made, do you have a fabricator in mind?
this could be a fun project that could really push the community. smile.gif

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Feb 2, 2011 - 10:02 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

Presure is right, going custom you dont need alot of micky mouse ports, unless you use them for other purposes. a very good suggestion for a TB is the 2ZZ-GE. thats what im using on my custom intake manifold on my all-trac

This post has been edited by Smaay: Feb 2, 2011 - 10:07 AM

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 10:26 AM