post Oct 13, 2015 - 5:07 AM
+Quote Post
Rodzy

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 18, '14
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Hello everybody

In next few weeks I'm doing service on my 1996 Celica ST202 with 3S-GE engine after 200 000 km. Does anybody know which parts do I need to change beside timing belt and two idler pulleys?
What about water pump and timing belt tensioner? Should I check if oil pump is OK too?

Thank you for help.

BTW, if anyone knows a great place to buy theese service parts (genuine Toyota prefered), let me know wink.gif

Rok
post Oct 22, 2015 - 12:13 PM
+Quote Post
senick

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 29, '11
From Bloomington, IN
Currently Offline

Spark plugs/wires, distributor cap and rotor, PCV valve, air filter, maybe check the O2 sensor for excessive soot build-up.

Other than that, honestly, I wouldn't change anything that's functioning correctly (except timing belt and idler pulley). Also I'm not sure what it's called, but that bearing that keeps the tension on the timing belt should be checked when you replace the belt.

As far as other pulleys/bearings, I'd suggest getting an automotive stethoscope. You can get a really good idea of the health of the bearings by just listening to them through a stethoscope when the engine is running. If there's any grinding or irregular noise, they should be replaced. If not, it's best to just let them go until you start to notice that they're failing. They're Toyota parts, so you'll have plenty of time to take action once you notice they're starting to fail.

Of course, I'm assuming that you're not pulling the engine. If you are pulling it out, might as well just change everything since all will be accessible.
post Nov 15, 2015 - 11:35 AM
+Quote Post
Kev6GCTH

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '14
From Thailand
Currently Offline

Open timing belt cover in engine bay is labor consuming work. It's better to replace cam's seal, water pump, oil pump's seal and o-ring, and crank's seal at the time you replace timing belt tensioner.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 2:55 PM