> Turbo 5sfe, what do you guys do with the IAT sensor
post Jul 1, 2016 - 4:55 PM
+Quote Post
dpartinvr4

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 21, '15
From NWI
Currently Offline

I picked up a turbo'd gt the guy couldn't get running. After fixing Tom's of half assed ****, I have it running solid on E85 @10psi.
My question is, I only see the one IAT sensor that would have gone in the stock air box. I have it currently plugged into a hose that comes from the lower right of the TB, I know it's not getting air flowing past it, but at least It gets manifold air temp.
Does the MAIT sensor from the MR2 have the same values so that I can thread it into the charge piping to properly get it in the airflow, or is there a way to get the factory sensor in the airflow and secure it from blowing out?
post Jul 3, 2016 - 11:12 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

you can get a GM IAT sensor and install it in the intake pipe. I did this in my all-trac and Supra

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 4, 2016 - 6:49 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

it shouldnt see manifold temp. its intake temp, not manifold temp (2 diffrent sensors, the 5s dont have a MAT.)
it should be in the intake piping, before the turbo.
drill a hole in the intake piping, use the grommet from the airbox, and install the sensor.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jul 4, 2016 - 7:34 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

^^^ what he said

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 4, 2016 - 8:40 PM
+Quote Post
dpartinvr4

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 21, '15
From NWI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 4, 2016 - 6:49 AM) *
it shouldnt see manifold temp. its intake temp, not manifold temp (2 diffrent sensors, the 5s dont have a MAT.)
it should be in the intake piping, before the turbo.
drill a hole in the intake piping, use the grommet from the airbox, and install the sensor.

For the ECU to make the correct fuel calculations doesn't need to the air temperature going into the engine, not the colder temps before it gets compressed by the turbo. theoretically putting it there would just make it run richer.
post Jul 5, 2016 - 8:31 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

your thinking is correct, but wrong. IAT is Intake Air Temp. its intended to monitor the intake temps. Now with that being said, when I has my 5S turboed, I did what I posted before. I used a GM sensor and tapped the charge pipe before the throttle body and put it there. On my supra and All-Trac, I actually have the sensor right after the TB in the manifold. It works just fine. Temp corrections are very minimal, Its really MAP sensor that does most of the tuning.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 5, 2016 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
dpartinvr4

Enthusiast

Joined Dec 21, '15
From NWI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Jul 5, 2016 - 9:31 AM) *
your thinking is correct, but wrong. IAT is Intake Air Temp. its intended to monitor the intake temps. Now with that being said, when I has my 5S turboed, I did what I posted before. I used a GM sensor and tapped the charge pipe before the throttle body and put it there. On my supra and All-Trac, I actually have the sensor right after the TB in the manifold. It works just fine. Temp corrections are very minimal, Its really MAP sensor that does most of the tuning.

Does the GM sensor have the same values as the stock sensor?
post Jul 6, 2016 - 7:43 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

yes

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:47 AM