6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PegGTS' officially low and slow ST204, Now featuring low!
post May 3, 2013 - 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
From Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Currently Offline

Okay I tried plasti dipping the rims today and it came out looking like **** lol...anybody know why this would happen? Maybe it was too cold? Spraying too close or too thick? When the spray came out of the nozzle it came out really bubbly and not spray-like...is the nozzle maybe bad / dirty or maybe the cans are just bad?

After they dried completely

--------------------
2007 Impreza 2.5i - Daily
1994 Camry - Sold
1994 Celica - Sold :(

Click here to see my progress thread!
post May 3, 2013 - 2:35 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

You did that so wrong...

First off, never paint your wheels on the car. 1) because you'll get overspray on the car 2) the paint will run downward because of gravity and 3) it's just a common sense type of thing.

Secondly, when painting (and your wheel is off the car), put cardboard under it so that it doesn't get on the ground and get note cards. You place the note cards in that little lip between the wheel and the tire, and they stick out the long way. This is so over spray does not get on your tire. Though it is plastidip, it's a PITA to rub it all off the tire.

Third, when you are painting correctly with the wheel on the ground, clean off the wheel with a damp rag. If it was spray paint you would do more cleaning, but plastidip sticks to anything anyway lol Anywho, you want to start off in light coats and build it up. It looks like you just went all out on that thing on the first coat, that's a big no no. It will bubble up like that if you spray it on too heavy, but yes, the coldness doesn't help too much either.

It looks like it dried pretty well though, but you should definitely go back over some of the areas that are light so that it's more even.
If I sound like a dick at all, I'm sorry, I just took a break from studying for my finals and I'm wired on caffeine pills right now lol
I hope that helps you though!

Edit: If it's coming out of the bottle like that, it's definitely too cold to spray. Shaking it up some more might help, but probably not so much in the cold.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: May 3, 2013 - 2:37 AM
post May 3, 2013 - 3:07 AM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

To add to the good advices above me.
You should check out "dipyourcarcom" youtube and see how it's all done.
When the weather is cold it helps to put the can in hot water prior to the paint process, so when you spray the paint inside is actually warm.

--------------------
FS thread : Custom Celica parts made to order + more

Click the image to visit my FB page

post May 3, 2013 - 6:23 AM
+Quote Post
Timmyface

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From Maitland, NSW
Currently Offline

Pretty much as mkernz22 Said.
Make sure its a nice day. Sunny, not hot, and not windy.
Thoroughly clean your wheel.
Do many light coats, with a light sweeping action, and give it about 20minutes between each coat.
Don't spray it on thick, or too wet.
And you should be sweet.

On that note though, 3 of my 4 nozzles turned to **** after a few sprays, started splattering out a bit because it was building up/running at the cap. Just try another.
And with the 'wheel on/off the car' is a bit of ahit and miss topic, with plastidip that is.
With plastidip you do tiny light coats, so there will be no runs or build up etc.

I just done my wheels, i took them off the car, but still layed them upright, at like a 10degree angle.
The final coat i done was when they were on the car.

So try again man, try plan it out and tae your time, and it should come out pretty sweet. It did dry alot better, so good luck next time!

--------------------
post May 3, 2013 - 6:41 AM
+Quote Post
Ted95

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '09
From Westport, MA
Currently Offline

^^ all the above is 100% correct. i work with plasti dip all the time where i work, I have to paint alot of things with it. Painting is a skill of paitence, you need to take your time with it a far as prepping the wheels and proper time between coats. it will take quite a few coats because of how clear the paint is but once it finished it should lay very flat and smooth and not bubbly at all. just dont spray it on to heavy, just get nice even light coverage through out the wheel until your completely covered. for the peices i have to paint it usually takes about 5-6 coats, but thats because im painting clear plastic black..

really make sure the surface is clean tho and that it isnt to cold, let the wheels sit in the sun to warm them up first before painting them. you dont have to paint them in the sun but id recommend letting them warm up in the sun and letting them dry in the sun after they are painted.

Goodluck my man!

--------------------
st205 powered ss3 coupe
post May 3, 2013 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

post May 3, 2013 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think what my main problem was was that the cans were way too cold. It was probably about 0 Celsius / 32 Fahrenheit when we were doing it, and I didn't realize that the cans needed to be warm before doing it. When it started coming out bubbly we just got frustrated haha and I think that's what really messed us up, we started trying all sorts of things to make it work. Spraying lights coats, thick coats, spraying far away, from close...how far away should you spray from when doing it? As far as taking the wheels off, I don't have a jack at the moment and saw a few videos from DipYourCar explaining how to do it with the wheels still on. I'm assuming I should peel it all off and start again?

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 3, 2013 - 1:42 PM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

If you don't like it, obviously you should be peeling it off.
Get a heater, close the garage, put your plasti in a big basin with warm water and let it is for a while. While waiting, clean them wheels good!

--------------------

post May 3, 2013 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

QUOTE (The_enD @ May 3, 2013 - 2:42 PM) *
If you don't like it, obviously you should be peeling it off.
Get a heater, close the garage, put your plasti in a big basin with warm water and let it is for a while. While waiting, clean them wheels good!

Yup will be peeling it off and redoing it this weekend since it's supposed to be a lot nicer. Only thing is, it's really tough to peel the overspray off the tires, it isn't coming off in one, it's just ripping, any tips on getting that off? I do have a heater in the garage so I'll try and keep it as warm as possible, obviously I should open the door when I'm spraying though right? I assume the fumes are pretty deadly haha

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 3, 2013 - 1:58 PM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

I'll put a mask and keep it closed and warm.
When dipping wheels it's easier to remove the dip from the tire when there is a good layer of it on the tire itself, not just a tiny amount of overspray.
I don't know what to say, either get to work and start cleaning it or spray just the tire and let it bond, then try to peel it.

--------------------

post May 3, 2013 - 2:00 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

QUOTE (The_enD @ May 3, 2013 - 1:58 PM) *
I'll put a mask and keep it closed and warm.
When dipping wheels it's easier to remove the dip from the tire when there is a good layer of it on the tire itself, not just a tiny amount of overspray.
I don't know what to say, either get to work and start cleaning it or spray just the tire and let it bond, then try to peel it.

I've heard WD40 corrodes the dip too so I might try that on the tires. Next time I'm taping them off / using index cards though to avoid this haha

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 3, 2013 - 2:25 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Like I said, get note cards and put them in between the lip of the wheel and the tire to prevent overspray. Have fun getting the rest of that off, I couldn't but at least mine was black. lol
post May 3, 2013 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ May 3, 2013 - 2:25 PM) *
Like I said, get note cards and put them in between the lip of the wheel and the tire to prevent overspray. Have fun getting the rest of that off, I couldn't but at least mine was black. lol

Yeah I will be doing that next time around lol, thanks. If it doesn't turn out this time...then I think I'm retiring from plast-dipping

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 4, 2013 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
Red123

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 25, '11
From Tbilisi
Currently Offline

http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-...QAdIdZ445264503

if the price of that c-one bumper is ok, just get it.

--------------------
post May 8, 2013 - 1:02 PM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

Little update: Re-did the plasti-dip the other day and it looks 100x better now!

Decided to do the emblem too while I was at it just cause

Just have to clean the overspray off the tires and she'll be good to go!

Also got my riser blocks in yesterday! Any tips on getting them painted? Should I bother getting them professionally done or would it be better to do it myself?

This post has been edited by PegGTS: May 8, 2013 - 1:03 PM

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 9, 2013 - 12:39 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

Primer, adhesion promoter and paint. (after a good clean)

They look ready to paint, maybe a little scuffing with a scotchbrite pad for better primer adhesion will do.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post May 9, 2013 - 3:18 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If you know what you're doing there's certainly no problem with doing it yourself.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 9, 2013 - 11:45 AM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

They say they're already primed and ready to paint, should I primer them anyways?

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

post May 9, 2013 - 1:50 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

If they're already primed just wipe them down with: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/greaseWaxRemover/

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 12, 2013 - 2:21 AM
+Quote Post
PegGTS

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 15, '13
Currently Offline

Here's some pics from a local meet yesterday:

My buddy's 350Z

Lowwww S2K

Dat overspray.

--------------------
1994 Camry - Sold

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 10:12 AM