6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 326 327 328 329 330 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post May 27, 2019 - 11:11 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ May 27, 2019 - 10:52 PM) *
Well that or flashed in that instance; '94+ are flash based and '93 and earlier were chip based.

Hmmm....I wonder if I'd be able to tell in the scanner if that's the case.

Or they just had the intake painted red. I'll take a closer look at all of it, but that would be good information to help with the sale and get closer to their unrealistic $6000 OBO.

--------------------
post May 28, 2019 - 12:50 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hahaha, yeah that's not going to happen. From what you've said and with it being an automatic maybe half that if they're lucky.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 28, 2019 - 1:19 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Confirmed LT4 intake. Got it running without misfire or obvious air leaks, it's got some giddy up, feels like well past 300hp. Feels more like a car over 350HP. I do suspect a shorter rear end.

--------------------
post May 28, 2019 - 2:50 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

'96-97 were rated 285-305 hp depending on if they were a standard Formula or Trans Am or had the WS6 Ram Air package. The LT-4 with all its improvements was only rated at 330 hp, which I think knowing what was special over the LT-1 and the LS-1 coming out the next year they botched that number. Especially since the SLP LT-4 Firehawk was faster than the next year LS-1 cars.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 28, 2019 - 9:10 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I've driven some LS1 cars and some LT1 cars and this is closer to an LS1 vette than it is a LT1 Firebird, for sure. I finally got the last plug wire made, routed away from danger, and snapped into place. I didn't get to mess with checking out fuel trims any but I did find another rotten vacuum hose connecting some solenoids together so maybe that helped. If it had tires which didn't just immediately melt when throttle is applied I bet it could go pretty hard from a standing start, but the ones on there now just immediately turn into molten rubber and leave piles of rubber dust at even 1/2 throttle and it breaks them loose in any gear while driving it seems.

--------------------
post May 28, 2019 - 10:36 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I know the Formula was straight up scary to drive on the old all seasons, even in the dry and Summer. Why that was changed immediately, and even with the 9.5" wide wheels covered in BFGoodrich Sport COMP-2 you can break them loose with enough throttle. Even though it's not a lot of power by today's standards with no electronic aids you can get yourself into trouble, that and the solid axle doesn't help when there's surface irregularities. It's why I'll never understand the obsession with power on a street car, can't use it all legally or safely most of the time when you're over 300 hp. Gah if I could go back in time I'd have just bought another Miata to begin with, but in a way had I not bought the Firebird I'd never have come to appreciate cars like the Miata as much. Chasing power is pointless, it's like my brother wants more from the BMW since 500 or so hp at the flywheel isn't enough... Chasing the perfect exhaust note on the other hand makes perfect sense. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 29, 2019 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So apparently the FD RX-7, first gen NSX, and the S2000 all had purple as an incredibly rare option. So rare that you get like one crappy image result searching for them. Sigh... Why is purple so ****ing uncommon, yet red which is the worst colour ever is everywhere.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 29, 2019 - 7:09 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

So how would I tell if the Firebird had the LT4 flash in it? I assumed I'd just look at the Calibration ID but I'm not coming up with much about that on Google? LT4 is an RPO code for a much newer GM truck engine so that's spamming my results as I guess there's an update to it's PCM...

--------------------
post May 29, 2019 - 8:13 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The only other LT4 is in the new one in the Z06 Corvette and ZL-1 Camaro. Now there's the LM4 for trucks.

Anyhow here's a site dedicated to the LT-1 and even to TBI and LS tuning: http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/ You would just have to compare to a stock LT-1 auto tune I guess, that or to a tune for the LT-4 auto. I want to say that the stock LT-1 ECU will run the LT-4 heads, intake, and cam but just not as optimally as it could otherwise. I know it'll run the cam, so the others just being air flow adders if anything it'd just go leaner I imagine. Though being a SFI with a MAF it can accommodate to a degree. I do know the LT-4 has 5 lb/hr higher injectors than the LT-1 to help with the extra fuel needed as well.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 29, 2019 - 9:29 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ May 29, 2019 - 8:13 PM) *
The only other LT4 is in the new one in the Z06 Corvette and ZL-1 Camaro. Now there's the LM4 for trucks.

Anyhow here's a site dedicated to the LT-1 and even to TBI and LS tuning: http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/ You would just have to compare to a stock LT-1 auto tune I guess, that or to a tune for the LT-4 auto. I want to say that the stock LT-1 ECU will run the LT-4 heads, intake, and cam but just not as optimally as it could otherwise. I know it'll run the cam, so the others just being air flow adders if anything it'd just go leaner I imagine. Though being a SFI with a MAF it can accommodate to a degree. I do know the LT-4 has 5 lb/hr higher injectors than the LT-1 to help with the extra fuel needed as well.

Hmm if it runs fine on the LT1 tune then whatever, it's enough telling them it has LT4 stuffs. If they swapped the LT4 injectors with it all then it would probably work without issues.

--------------------
post May 29, 2019 - 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Sadly there's no way of knowing without flow testing them, as they look identical externally. If there was a way of measuring AFR then you'd at least know if it was running safe, and that's all that really matters I guess.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 29, 2019 - 11:06 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It hasn't blown up yet, probably fine, they just want to get rid of it now because it's the money pit we warned them it would be when they bought it because 'you don't like ANY car I bring you to look at!' Dumbass.

--------------------
post May 30, 2019 - 2:01 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Sigh... They're good cars if looked after and well maintained, just as reliable as anything Japanese I've owned. At least with the T-56 anyway, the 4L60-E is a ticking time bomb on the other hand.

I guess up north short of anything garage kept its entire life it's going to be a money pit to some degree. Then you have the pit of despair, I mean depreciation, with newer cars so I guess you're just screwed.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 30, 2019 - 1:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I decided to add Emerald Mica into the selection pool along with the various blues and black to make life easier when the time arrives. I like dark metallic or pearl green on cars, and you don't see green these days, plus since I'll only be looking at the LS models(and various special editions) which all came with tan top and leather interior that'd go really well with green:

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 30, 2019 - 7:43 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

There's always wrap or plasti-dip.

--------------------
post May 30, 2019 - 9:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Then it has to be black though, to satiate my OCD. I can't open the door or hood to my purple car and then be assaulted by another colour, since black is the absence of colour(and plenty of cars had black engine bays regardless of body colour back in the day) my OCD won't be triggered. Just trying to make finding one as easy as possible since I'm only going for factory equipped LSD & big brake cars, I can't be bothered with finding and installing said parts since the price difference between an equal condition base and LS model is less than those parts. Not to mention the exclusive additional bracing that the LS and SE cars had. So meh... Surely should be able to find one only ruling out red, white, and silver cars.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 30, 2019 - 10:54 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Give in to your Bama roots....

I think that car is ticket proof.

--------------------
post May 30, 2019 - 11:21 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Broken link, but I don't like where this is going.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 30, 2019 - 11:28 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I might even go for this Garnet Red as it's nice for red:

I just don't think anything can be done with the silver it's so light and bleh, the Titanium Grey like on the Shinsen was nice though. White is just so meh... Classic Red is no chance in Hell, short of them giving it to me and then I'd want to trade for anything else. I dunno, will just depend on the first nice one for the right price that shows up remotely local and has everything I want that isn't Classic Red. That's the only one I've ruled out indefinitely.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post May 31, 2019 - 2:33 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Import a coupe NB from Japan.

--------------------

400 Pages V  « < 326 327 328 329 330 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:19 PM