6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Potential 5S-FE Rod Bolt replacements?
post Jan 20, 2014 - 4:13 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

I've been searching all over the place for the thread pitch for the 7A-FE rods, since they are a cap-screw design rather than a pass-through like the 5S-FE is stock.

However, I can confirm that an M9 tap (1.00 or 1.25) will work on the stock bolt holes with the studs/bolts removed.

That is the upper portion of the rod tapped with an M9x1.00 tap. No drilling was done and the tap was a tight enough fit. It's already tapped halfway down the hole holding both the tap and the rod with my hands. With a vice and an oil squirt gun it'd be a lot easier but I have neither.

I don't know if anybody has ever done this before to a rod and I don't know if it'll actually work, but this is as far as I've gone up until now. Next I need a 7A-FE rod bolt to see if the pitch is M9x1.00. If not, I'll get the correct tap and tap another rod I have lying around and see how well it'll all fit.

It seems promising since, if the 7AFE rod bolt fits, 5S-FE rods could be modified to fit ARP Renault Clio 16V rod bolts, as shown here: http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...view=getnewpost

What do you think?

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:45 PM