> The GT-Four Brake Upgrade, ST205 Brake Upgrade for 5x100 & 5x114 PCB
post Jul 24, 2013 - 11:17 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

This is a GUIDE not a HOW TO and is a thread in progress. Its going to take me a bit to properly organize this load info into a visually pleasing manor.

If anyone has any input from their own experience post or PM me and I will add the info in! There is alot of info in here and I am sure it will get very convoluted

**Be aware that the ST205 Brake upgrade will require at least a 16" wheels and possibly spacers to adjust the offset and avoid contact between the face of the caliper and the backside of the rim face. **

Torque Specs
Caliper halve bolts (four bolts that hold the caliper halves together)
14-17 ft/lbs *Have an even torque value on each bolt (add a dab of red loctite to the bolts thread ends)

Caliper Seal Part Numbers:

Stephen at GT-FourPlay UK sells a rebuild kit. You can still get the kit lsited below from rock auto but Stephens kit is alot more straight forward and youd be supporting Local (UK) business!
https://www.gt4-play.co.uk/shop/brake-calip...ce-kit?___SID=U

Caliper Re-seal Kits (Centric Brand From Rock Auto)
Front Seals X4 #14344031 (kits are used for the small crossover seals for all 4 calipers/the piston seals in this kit are too large so the rest is unused)
Rear Seals X2 #14342021 (Each Single kit services 2 calipers. These piston seals are used for the front too)
(I need to re-confirm that the rear piston seals fit the front pistons)
This will cover the crossover seals/piston seals/piston boots/piston retaining rings

Caliper Hardware Part Numbers
(Need to add the Pad Pin retaining wire #'s & toyota diagram)

Front pin clips: #04947-14010
Front pad pins: #90240-06019
Front shims: #04945-14110 (EBC pads come with stick on shims)

Rear pin clips: #04948-14010
Rear pad pins: #90240-06017
Rear shims: #04946-14030 (EBC pads come with stick on shims)

Front Hub/Caliper Preparation:
(These part#'s correspond to the McMaster-Carr Catalog. I highly recommend ordering hardware from them: www.mcmaster.com as they have VERY fast shipping and exceptional products)

Caliper Prep:
For the rotor to sit center in the caliper, the mounting tabs on the caliper will need to be shaved a slight bit.
Use a DREMEL and shave 7-8mm off of the mounting tabs. START OFF SMALL and shave say 5mm and check clearances, it is quite possible that with whatever spec rotor you use or just slight differences in hub thicknesses may not require a 7-8mm shave

(keep in mind that if you plan on powdercoating the calipers, that will add 1mm or so on top of the mounting tabs, unless you leave them uncoated.)

Use a Micrometer to make sure that the mounting tab is an even #mm across the entire area you shaved.

Hub Prep:

The stock hubs are thread-less and will need to be threaded. Below are the specs I prepped my hubs to but also a small description of what Culpable did with his hub. The way I did it requires a bit more drilling, and it is possible to just re-tap the thread-less hub holes rather than drill them out and re-tap. If you drill the hubs you will possibly need to drill out the caliper holes to match. The tap information is listed below.

CULPABLES THREAD (link at bottom of this post):
take the knuckle off the car and thread tap them thread taps are available anywhere, buy matching bolts for the thread you are tapping ( grade 8 bolts please ) use a 1/2 x 20 tap or finer thread. ( the one used on the pictures is 9/16 x 20 but no need to go that big as that will require to drill the hole to make it a little bigger)

Carbon Steel Hand Tap, 9/16"-18, 4 Flute (I will add the kind of tap wrench that is best for tapping the hubs)
#26035A216

Drill for Tap
33/64
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2432/=oglxb8
8947A217 - 118 Degree Point High-Speed-Steel Short-Length Drill Bit, Black Oxide, 33/64", 3-7/8" Length Overall - $18.92
(CALIPER HOLES WILL ALSO NEED TO BE RE-DRILLED IF USING THIS SIZE, MAKE SURE TO DRILL TO MATCH THE DIAMETER OF THE BOLT YOU ARE USING TO MOUNT THE CALIPERS, THIS DRILL BIT WILL BE TOO SMALL)

Grade 8 Alloy Steel Hex Head Cap Screw, Zinc Yellow Pltd,9/16"-18 Thrd, 1-1/4"l,fully Thrd
#92620A779

(Large washers are used in between the Front Caliper bolts and Hub and one washer has to be trimmed per axle, I will add their sizes later)

The Brake dust shield will fit and no modification is needed other than pushing it back a bit to avoid contact with the rotor (WITH 300mm Rotor).

Rear Hub Preparation:

I was fortunate enough to get the oem caliper bolts with the calipers in the kit from Culpable. I will get their specs since those are the bolts you will need to mount the caliper, the oem ST204 bolts are too short.

The rear dust shield will need a good amount of trimming (use a small dremel) for the caliper to fit. Its hard to really explain where it will need to be cut exactly, but just hold up the ST205 caliper to its mounting mount and you will be able to judge where it will make contact with the dust shield. Both around the top and bottom mount holes on the hubs will need to be trimmed. (If you plan on powdercoating your calipers make sure to do this before, I scratched my newly powder coated calipers holding them up trying to judge how much more I needed to trim)

When mounting the Rear Calipers, there needs to be a 6mm spacer washer between the caliper holes and mounting bracket.
This will correct and center the caliper to match the lower rotor height of the ST205 disk (The ST205 disk is 6mm smaller than the GT disk). As a temporary solution I used 2 washers (2.5mm thick) per hole that when stacked added up to about 6mm. Washers usually have a thickness tolerance of +/- .3mm so I had to sort through a whole bunch to finally find a combination that added up to the right spec. Anywhere between 5-6mm will work fine but the closer to 6mm the better

The better solution, as discussed with ricochet1490, would be to get a custom made 6mm thick washer.

McMaster sells extra thick high strength steel washers, I am ordering a few to test them out, supposedly the thicknesses of the washers arent consistent but we will see

Rotors:

OEM Celica Dimension Specs

Front:

Be aware of the hub diameters. The OE Celia hub diameter is 54.1. Most of our options for the front will be larger than that.
I personally like to have hubcentric rotors but you can run them lug centric if you dont feel like making a shim, I would advise against that though.

Subaru BRZ/Impreza Rotor
Part Number: Centric 121.47021
PCB - 5x100
Hub Dia - 58
Dia - 292mm
Centric Brand Part Number: 121.47021

(additional info on aftermarket solutions will be added soon thanks playr158 for the find!)

93-99 Toyota Supra NON-Turbo
PCB - 5x114.3 (Must Be Re-Drilled)
Hub Dia-60.1
Dia-296mm / 11.811"

****Most OEM and OEM replacement Supra Non-Turbo rotors have service holes on the face of the hat preventing them from being re-drilled to 5x100, Most aftermarket 2-Piece Rotors do not have these service holes allowing the hats to be re-drilled. Always check before purchasing. THIS MAY NO LONGER BE A VIABLE OPTION****

5x114.3 Conversion Front Rotors
93-99 Toyota Supra NON-Turbo
Supra Hub Dia-60.1
Dia-296mm / 11.811"

Rear:

ST205 Rear Rotors
Hub Dia-54.1
Dia-315mm

I highly recommend EBC Brand through this site
http://www.ebcbrakesdirect.com/ (Fast Int'l Shipping with Tracking code!)
Here you have the option of OEM/SlottedDimpled/Slotted

ENDLESS also makes a Slotted and Blank Rear Disk
Blank Rotor (Single) $176
Slotted Rotor (Single) $225
ENDLESS Rotor PDF

5x114.3 Conversion Rear Rotor
***TBD****

Brake Pads:

Supra MK4 Turbo Pads
I recommend EBC brand pads as they come with black 3M rubberized stick on shims. Do Not use both the stick on rubber shim and the metal Toyota/Other brand shim.
Part#
Front
DP31004C
Rear
DP31005C

Some other brands that have both streetable performance and race performance pads that will fit are

-HAWK Pads
-Carbotech Pads
-Endless Pads

I have only ever used EBC pads so I have never needed Shims from Toyota. I am not sure if other brand pads come with some sort of shim. If they don't you will need to order a set of shims

3M Stick on Shims

Brake Lines:

ST205 Lines

ST204 (GT) Lines

Custom Lines (recommended)

Bleeder Fittings

Speed Bleeder #SB1010
Buy them. They work wonders

Caliper High Temp CELICA Stickers
http://www.ebay.com/usr/uber9
Since the sale is re-listed weekly I cannot provide a direct link. Sreach for "celica" and the results will show up. Be sure to message the seller to specify it is for the ST205 Calipers

Brake Bias Controller
One thing that will be immediately apparent with this swap is a different brake bias than what the GT/ST provided.
The bias wont be the same for every car this swap is done for. There are alot of factors that will effect the ration ever so slightly. Worst case scenario your rear bias will be too much to the point of locking up way before the fronts get a chance too. For DD emergency situations, this may be undesirable.
Combat this will installing a Brake BIAS Controller.
I recommend Tilton as the brand to buy but there are other more budget friendly brands.

Brake Proportioning Info
http://stoptech.com/technical-support/tech...rtioning-valves

Additional Links/Reference Links:
ST205 Brake Upgrade Completed (Culpable04)
ST205 Brakes on a ST (Culpable04)
ST205 Brake Upgrade Completed (Batman722)
Toyota Supra Specifications

End Goal?

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Dec 6, 2018 - 9:58 AM

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Jul 24, 2013 - 1:36 PM
+Quote Post
yellowchinaman

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 11, '08
From London
Currently Offline

That is really useful.
Im doodling on the idea of adapting a set of Audi Q7 Sline calipers to my faff.
post Jul 24, 2013 - 2:12 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Thanks TIGA. I was going to do the same with the information you gave me.
I'll probably photograph the whole thing to add to this thread.

Since the supra rotors are 5x114 I'm also thinking about doing the complete 5.x114 hub conversion at the same time..

agian thanks for putting this together!
post Jul 24, 2013 - 3:37 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

but then you have to redrill the gt4 rears... u have to redrill some rotors...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 24, 2013 - 7:48 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

I believe there might be some bolt on rotors but need to see
post Jul 24, 2013 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

*subscribed.

--------------------
post Jul 25, 2013 - 8:09 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (playr158 @ Jul 24, 2013 - 3:12 PM) *
Thanks TIGA. I was going to do the same with the information you gave me.
I'll probably photograph the whole thing to add to this thread.

Thatd be helpful. I did not take a single picture of anything when I was going through it

QUOTE (playr158 @ Jul 24, 2013 - 8:48 PM) *
I believe there might be some bolt on rotors but need to see

There are definitely some out there, itd be nice to get a list. And it would be great if they where the right size specs and 5x100! If not then at least we would have some alternatives to the Supra rotors since as noberto found out the hard way...they cant be redrilled, the OEM ones atleast

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jul 25, 2013 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Well if we use

FRONT: GEN 1 RAV4 front hubs + MKIV NA Supra rotors + GT4 front calipers = bolt on

REAR: 91-96 Camry rear HUB/Bearing assembly + Camry rotors = bolt on.
The question is here is what larger rotor is needed for the rear GT4 caliper. I thought I had a potential option written down somewhere so now I have to go find it. This might honestly be as simple as contacting adams rotors and having them make a larger diameter rotor based off the camry oem rotor....which would be easy and cheap I thinks.

post Jul 25, 2013 - 10:36 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

well how big are the rear supra rotors?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 25, 2013 - 10:46 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

300mm I believe

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jul 25, 2013 - 12:10 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

duh, how thick are the rear supra rotors. thats what i meant sorry...

OH and for those of you that want to buy OEM supra rotors, dont, they have 10 holes.... (arg)

--------------------

post Jul 25, 2013 - 12:22 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

15mm methinks. Either that or 17mm

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jul 31, 2013 - 8:00 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

added a couple more things.

I will add the links on how to swap to 5x114 in the OP

Also maybe some tips as to how to remove the pistons from the calipers if you plan on powder coating and/or replacing the piston seals

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Sep 11, 2013 - 9:09 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Wanted to Toss this in there

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/2432/=oglxb8
8947A217 - 118 Degree Point High-Speed-Steel Short-Length Drill Bit, Black Oxide, 33/64", 3-7/8" Length Overall - $18.92
post Sep 11, 2013 - 2:32 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

thanks man!

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 25, 2013 - 3:45 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Bringing this back from dead. Called adamsrotors, and the guy who was an asshole, pretty much told me not to wast his time all the questions are in his website. They don't do custom rotors, in a sense of different hub pattern, but in a sense of pretty colors and bs. Which leaves me stranded, here in this miserable town, nobody wants to do or even knows how to redrill rotors to 5x100. Lol.

--------------------

post Nov 25, 2013 - 5:38 PM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 25, 2013 - 3:45 PM) *
Bringing this back from dead. Called adamsrotors, and the guy who was an asshole, pretty much told me not to wast his time all the questions are in his website. They don't do custom rotors, in a sense of different hub pattern, but in a sense of pretty colors and bs. Which leaves me stranded, here in this miserable town, nobody wants to do or even knows how to redrill rotors to 5x100. Lol.

Sounds very similar to my email conversation with him roughly 2 months ago.

I have a local place trimming my front st205 rotors to 300mm as my temporary solution for now. The same place I recently found out also does re-drills.

--------------------
post Nov 25, 2013 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

I will have to update the OP!

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 25, 2013 - 8:24 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

we have to find a source of rotors that will meet our needs, so far, i have only seen racing rotors in the ups of 300+ per rotor, lol.

the problem i have, no one, absolutely no one wants to touch and redrill a rotor here. they are afraid.

--------------------

post Nov 25, 2013 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

ok, classic example why i need to get my own tools, its stupid, in this town, no one wants to help. Jackson TN. How bad could it be, just need a jig, and a drill press. right?

ive got the jig already.

--------------------

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:30 AM