> MS3PRO EVO on 4th Gen 3sgte
post Sep 8, 2017 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I just got my MS3PRO EVO in for my conversion to standalone on my 4th gen 3sgte. I am planning on taking my time with this install to make sure all the wiring is correct and clean looking. To help with the install I grabbed a 5sfe ECU and mounting hardware out of a junkyard car to use as a template for mounting the Megasquirt into the car.

Got relays, distribution blocks, and different color wiring for a clean centralized install.

My goal is to wire the ECU up for as many features as possible and once I get good tune running, start enabling the features. I spent the last few days reading the instruction manual and it has me excited with how much it can do.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Sep 8, 2017 - 8:15 PM
post Sep 10, 2017 - 4:48 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Just started the planning and laying out of the MS3PRO EVO. I spent time going through the ECU pinouts and mapping them to the proper connection on the Megasquirt. I printed out a picture of the stock ECU pinout and the Megsquirt pinouts and began assigning connection to each.

I also did a sketch of how I want to physically layout all the components and extra relays I will need.

I am planning to enable the following features on the Megasquirt outside the basic timing and ignition stuff:
- Boost Control
- AC Idle Up
- AC Cut under high load
- Intercooler Fan Control off Intake Temp
- Launch Control (2 step)
- Use the CEL light for warning of issues
- Possibly flat foot shifting (3 step)

I will not enable all these features right away but plan to wire them all up. This will let me enable them one at a time without having to pull the ECU out to do wiring each time. The MS3PRO EVO has the ability to do full 10 cylinder sequential ignition and injection. Since I only need 4 cylinder sequential, I have plenty of spare connections to add all the goodies and fun stuff. biggrin.gif
post Sep 11, 2017 - 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have finished building the box where all my connections and relays will go. It will sit where the factory ECU is currently, behind the center console. I plan to mount the Megasquirt either behind this box or in the glove box and run all the wiring to this connection box.

This connection box will be set up to do the following:
- The big black box is a 122 pin connector for the factory harness. Most of the MS3PRO connections will go into there.
- There are 4 relays mounted on this box (fuel pump, AC cut, intercooler fan relay, and warning light).
- The distribution block is for any connections that need to leave the Megasquirt but not through the factory harness.

This will make for a clean install and keep all the factory wiring intact.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Sep 11, 2017 - 12:34 AM
post Sep 12, 2017 - 9:21 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have started to solder the ECU wiring to the 122 pin harness board.

I am very impressed with the quality of the wiring. Not only did they color code all the wires and provide a key in the instruction manual, every wire has it's function written on the side of it. smile.gif

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Sep 12, 2017 - 9:21 PM
post Sep 13, 2017 - 8:48 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Watching this thread with excitement. Looking at doing diy pnp on my 2nd gen 3sgte, but considering all options at the moment. Keep us posted!
post Sep 14, 2017 - 3:24 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (sandusky1977 @ Sep 13, 2017 - 8:48 AM) *
Watching this thread with excitement. Looking at doing diy pnp on my 2nd gen 3sgte, but considering all options at the moment. Keep us posted!

I am getting excited too. biggrin.gif The progress is a little slow because I am documenting everything and I want to make sure I get it right. When I put a DIYPNP on my 5sfte it was a pain having to constantly pull the ECU out because of small mistakes. I am trying not to do that on this install. Luckily the documentation for the MS3PRO EVO is excellent!
post Sep 15, 2017 - 5:11 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

To compare the differences between the MS3PRO EVO and the DIYPNP, I took screen shots of TunerStudio with each one's tuner file open. Here is the DIYPNP:

Here is the MS3PRO EVO:

As you can see the MS3PRO TunerStudio set up has a lot more features enabled. Based on the tabs at the bottom of the screen the MS3PRO has over double the amount of features and monitoring capabilities. This will allow me to set up a lot of goodies and safety features.
post Sep 15, 2017 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Your dedication is fascinating and inspiring at the same time.

Makes me feel ashamed that I've had this Haltech ECU just sitting on my desk instead of in whipping my 3SGTE around... Keep pushing the inspiration, maybe the rest of us will run out of excuses.
post Sep 17, 2017 - 1:36 PM
+Quote Post
pitcelica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 28, '07
From Québec, Canada
Currently Offline

Hi,

I did a MS3+MS3X install on a ST215 engine in my ST184 a few years ago. Here's the success story. I don't have the car anymore, but I can answer your questions if you have some.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...t=3sgte#p275017

Have a good day!

Sam
post Sep 17, 2017 - 3:00 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (pitcelica @ Sep 17, 2017 - 2:36 PM) *
Hi,

I did a MS3+MS3X install on a ST215 engine in my ST184 a few years ago. Here's the success story. I don't have the car anymore, but I can answer your questions if you have some.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...t=3sgte#p275017

Have a good day!

Sam

Awesome! I will definitely be hitting you up with questions. Your MS forum post is what inspired me to do this ECU swap.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Sep 17, 2017 - 3:02 PM
post Sep 24, 2017 - 2:56 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

CELEBRATION!!!! laugh.gif I got the Celica to start and idle with the MS3PRO EVO. I wired everything up and spent the last few days hunting down issues. PitCelica, thanks for the help. Without your wiring diagram I would still be banging my head against the wall looking for problems. At first I thought it was my wiring, but after reviewing pitCelica's wiring diagram, I was good in that area. I knew it had to be something with one of the settings in TunerStudio. I am not used to so much control in the software. When I was using the DIYPNP it was simple and post changes were made to the hardware (circuit board) not the software. Once I figured out that my MAP sensor was not calibrated correctly and my injectors were firing out of order. . . VROOM! It started right up. Now I am dealing with the engine running lean. I think I need to do some adjustments to the injector settings (Voltage and Dead Time). Also, I still need to ensure my timing is not drifting. Still a lot to do but I am 1 step closer. Once I am close to done, I will post my TunerStudio settings as well and an ECU pinout wiring.
post Sep 24, 2017 - 10:01 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Congrats on getting it running!
Injector voltage and dead time are super critical to getting a consistent tune. I would make sure you nail those settings before doing any major tuning.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Sep 24, 2017 - 4:41 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Here is a video of me starting the car with the Megasquirt. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4Hv9gNOW2M...eature=youtu.be
post Sep 24, 2017 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Does anyone know how to check timing with a coil on plug setup? There is nowhere to hook up my timing light.
post Sep 24, 2017 - 9:49 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Sep 24, 2017 - 5:41 PM) *

Is your afr gauge calibrated correctly with tuner studio? There is no way the car would idle at that afr.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Sep 24, 2017 - 11:42 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 24, 2017 - 10:49 PM) *
QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Sep 24, 2017 - 5:41 PM) *

Is your afr gauge calibrated correctly with tuner studio? There is no way the car would idle at that afr.

Yes it is calibrated. It reads that rich when the O2 sensor is heating up. It changes to a normal AFR value after about 30-45 seconds.
post Sep 25, 2017 - 4:21 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Sep 24, 2017 - 10:49 PM) *

Here is a better video without all the faults, errors, and AFRs reading correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG65osD4_68...eature=youtu.be

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Sep 25, 2017 - 4:22 PM
post Sep 26, 2017 - 2:20 PM
+Quote Post
Hafkai

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '05
From Germany
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Sep 25, 2017 - 2:33 AM) *
Does anyone know how to check timing with a coil on plug setup? There is nowhere to hook up my timing light.

This is how i do it

Works perfect smile.gif
post Sep 28, 2017 - 1:04 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I did some research and found the injector dead time listed for the stock injectors to be 0.804ms @ 13.2V. I played around with the settings and ended up setting the dead time to 0.825ms. That was where I got the best idle. The car idles smooth at around 750 rpm when completely warm. The AFR hovers right around 14.7. SWEET!
post Oct 8, 2017 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I got my ignition timing set. I had to make a 3 degree adjustment but besides that no problems. I am working on getting all the extra features enabled. I got my intercooler fan to turn on based on intake temperature and I am wiring in my extra sensors. Right now I am stuck because I cannot seem to get the warning light to turn on. I have run it through a relay to supply 12V to the pin but it will not turn on. I hear the relay click but besides that nothing.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:59 PM