6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Has Anyone Considered Electronic Hydraulic Power Steering Pumps?, Thinking about doing this...
post Jun 10, 2015 - 7:54 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Has anyone considered running an Electronic Hydraulic Power Steering Pump? I'm considering this because I want one less thing connected to the engine for removals and replacements (because race car).

I guess the SW20 had one but its kinda pricey used (if you can find one).

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Jun 10, 2015 - 8:10 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Ive lightly thought of and looked into it.
It wouldnt be a bad idea to do it.

The reservoir is on top of the pumps for the SW20 right?

When you do it (because I know you probably will) Make 2 mounting brackets....so that I can have one and do it too

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Jun 10, 2015 - 10:26 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Tought about it and scrapped it. You need the sensor that is located on steering wheel to tell the pump what to do. Total cost 700 all parts from ebay😜. Unless you get a 700 junk car and scrap the rest.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 10, 2015 - 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

So the pump needs input from both the steering wheel and the speed Signal?

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Jun 10, 2015 - 11:47 AM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jun 10, 2015 - 8:34 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

I read it was just the speed signal. No need for any steering sensor. I looked into it and found plenty of writeups that make no mention of a steering wheel sensor
post Jun 11, 2015 - 1:03 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

You can bypass the sensor. But if you want constant pressure. The steering wheel sensor gives feedback to the ecu that in turn feeds the pump. You can ghetto right the pump with a flip switch as well and forget the ecu. There are so many ways to do it. But if you want to do it right, do it the way toyota did it to prevent premature pump failure

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 11, 2015 - 7:07 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Well... it wouldn't be ghetto rigged if you use an embedded development board (think Rasberry Pi or Audrino) and PWM the pump like you are supposed... basically you don't want the pump hammering against a closed valve or running full nuts when it doesn't have to... Keep in mind that the MR2 one is from 1994... so you can bet your ass it is late 1980s computer technology so the control loop is going to be stupid simple....

I need to look into this more.

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Jun 11, 2015 - 7:18 AM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

I just downloaded the SW20 EWD - There is a Power Steering "Driver" and "ECU". The system does in fact reference the steering wheel position AND vehicle speed

It looks like the system is speed based... looks like it goes to a low power (3-5 Volts) over 40 MPH and full power (11-12 Volts) below that....

The steering wheel sensor looks like it uses a pair of photo transistors which you could use to detect the speed and direction of the wheel turning. It doesn't look like there is a mechanism or system in place to try to count the these blips of light to know exact steering wheel position.. Reading the service manual I can't see any explicit test where they make sure the steering wheel sensor affects voltage to the power steering pump..

-Mike

This post has been edited by qatar11: Jun 11, 2015 - 7:56 AM

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

post Jun 16, 2015 - 10:30 AM
+Quote Post
rdyzz

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '11
From minnesota
Currently Offline

I'm using the 00' mr2 spyder powersteering pump in my corolla with the 2gr conversion. The pump works great, its an all in one pump (it has its own control unit). The steering feel is nice because the assist is just enough so you know you have powersteering but not butter soft like most belt driven pumps. It is relatively easy to wire too, and it will work without a VSS signal, although it does help. Pump cost me $200. If it sits idle to long the pump will shut off, but with a turn of the steering wheel the pump sense fluid again and turns right back on. The mk3 mr2 version also uses a lot less juice than the mk2 mr2 pumps.

This post has been edited by rdyzz: Jun 16, 2015 - 10:35 AM
post Mar 31, 2017 - 2:16 AM
+Quote Post
PizzaGuy01

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 30, '12
From San Antonio
Currently Offline

Sorry to revive an old post, but im thinkin about doin this so heres some pretty good technical info about the spyder pump and its observed operation in a custom application:
http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums#/topics/19505?page=1

Heres a general how-to with diagrams:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/enderw88.wordp...connection/amp/
post Mar 31, 2017 - 12:01 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Im about 99% done my conversion. those sites as well as the site on the nicoclub forum (IIRC) were very helpful

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:04 AM