post Jul 21, 2012 - 7:30 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Hi,
this is my Toyota Celica ST, year 1997 (first i believed it's a 1998, but later realized it's a 1997...), with an 1.8 l 7A-FE engine. I bought it about 2 months ago (Edit: summer of 2012). It's current "mileage" is reading 177.000 km (approx. 110.000 miles). Entire car is completely stock, no mods were made by previous owners (supposed to be more than four owners).
Perhaps I'd rather own a GT with a 3S-GE engine, but I needed a car and no GTs were available at the time. And since I am on a student budget, ST might be more suitable for me.

Plans for the future (which I change every time I open my topic biggrin.gif):

Interior - very well preserved for it's age and all the owners:
- LED conversion
- Refurbishing/repainting most of the interior (plastic dash parts, plastic door panel parts, arm rest, headliner and carpet)
- Steering wheel replacement (7gen)
- Leather seats
- Shift knob, hand brake handle, pedals and such petty nonsense
- Leather shift and handbrake boots

Electronics are basic - AC, central door lock, cheap Kenwood stereo with stock speakers. So the plan is:
- Car alarm with remote lock - not keen on this alarm, I'll probably try and make my own
- Good sound system (currently got Pioneer head unit with stock speakers)
- LCD touchscreen with CarPC

As for the exterior, the car has no spoiler and no extra bodyparts. Also, very poor paint - cracked, bumped, scratched, peeled...
- bodywork repair and complete repaint (I love the idea of pearl white, perhaps dark grey might be nice too)
- either a GT4 spoiler with risers, or a DCW duckbill
- some nice wheels

Performance and handling:
- CAI
- better exhaust
- coilovers

This is all for now, here are some pics

EDIT: moved the pictures into the second post, so you don't have to scroll all the time.

This post has been edited by Nihil: Apr 8, 2014 - 11:22 AM

--------------------
post Jul 21, 2012 - 8:24 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Nice base to start off of. Eager to see the results!
post Jul 21, 2012 - 10:48 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

EDIT: moved pictures from the first post.

Second post:

Ok, to gently start this thread, here is what I made today.

I bought a 10mm foam and a sheet of white artificial leather. Although I planned on doing the door panels today, the weather was a bit cloudy and only a matter of hours until the rain storm. So I decided to refurbish the arm rest first.

Artificial leather:

And the finish:

Could be done better, perhaps by stitching, but I don't know yet how to stich + my mum's machine is broken, so... better luck next time.
Here are some things that I intend to refurbish with the same colour artificial leather:
- door pannel (that middle round piece that concludes to the door handle)
- shift boot
- sunshades
- parking brake boot

And just a sneak peak - I bought a 7gen steering wheel yesterday, quite nicely preserved. Just need to go and pick up the airbag next week.

This post has been edited by Nihil: Apr 8, 2014 - 11:23 AM

--------------------
post Jul 21, 2012 - 3:27 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

+1 for a silver Celica. Welcome to the site, and best of luck with your car. Looking nice already, you're lucky to have the de-spoilered hatch...as well as the more potent 7A-FE, for the year, than what the US got.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 25, 2012 - 9:19 AM
+Quote Post
wazzuu

Enthusiast

Joined Jan 14, '11
From Belgrade
Currently Offline

7gen steering wheel is a pure win in a 6gc... looking forward seeing it installed
post Jul 27, 2012 - 12:43 PM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Ok, today was a nice day to do some paintwork on the interior and I got a day off at work. So I decided to start with the door pannels, grabed some spray paint and plastic primer and I gave it a go.

First I took aparat the door pannels, then I sanded the parts to be painted with P1000 sand paper and then used a spray cleaner/degreaser to remove the dirt and other filth. Next I sprayed two coats of plastic primer and when it dried, I sprayed a few coats of white, until it looked shiny enough. I used a can of plastic primer and two cans of white spray paint.

I probably should sand it a bit more, maybe with even finer sand paper, but I have a feeling the paint will peel off and I don't know what went wrong. But considering it is a day's work and costs almost nothing (under $20/15€ for the paint) I'll give it another go if that happens.

Here are some pics of if:
Preparation

Sanding

First coat of plastic primer

A few coats of white paint

And the finish

I'm surprised how good it looks, but when the rest of interior is going to be painted, it'll be just awesome... Just hope it sticks.

As for the artificial leather refurbishment of that round center piece of door panels... I thought it is separated from the rest of the panel, but it is just one piece. Anybody got some ideas how can this be refurbished? Ok, it's simple to cut it out and refurbish it, but I have no idea how to put it back together... Need some ideas.

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2012 - 1:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Welcome to the site! What's wrong with the door vinyl? From the pics it looks good.

Also on the center console piece. Did you use the old material as a template?

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 27, 2012 - 1:09 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 27, 2012 - 4:25 PM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Nothing is actually wrong with the door vinyl, I just think it would look better in white leather...

As for the center console piece (arm rest), I just cut a sheet of artificial leather, large enough to cover it over from each side, then I trimmed the edges once it was glued to it.

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2012 - 4:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Really the only option for the door panel to make it look right would be to replace all the vinyl. Since it's not like most cars that just used inserts. You could try to cover that one area though by overlaying new material and tucking it in. Provided you removed the old material from the arm cover, could look at it to determine how you'd need to cut and fold the new material. As much as I work on my own cars, I have a hard time with customizing interior. Such a pain. Why I buy things I can just throw onto it, and not worry about getting cuts and folds right. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 27, 2012 - 4:57 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Vencent doggy makes door cards that are cut to the shape of the insert that just glue over the top of the old one
That's when how Toyota did it factory on some celicas

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jul 27, 2012 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

nice job man! the door panels look awesome!

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 27, 2012 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (kurt95gt @ Jul 27, 2012 - 5:57 PM) *
Vencent doggy makes door cards that are cut to the shape of the insert that just glue over the top of the old one
That's when how Toyota did it factory on some celicas

Sorry, I must provide correction here - I have handled, and tried to fit Vincent's door inserts. They are of excellent quality, but not cut to shape - around three centimeters must be trimmed all around. This is where it can get tricky if you're new to the process, as I was, and I ended up cutting a few millimeters too short in some areas.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jul 27, 2012 - 11:32 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

You are LUCKY to have door cards in that good of shape. most are TOAST.

My suggestion.... and I know you want white... but don't look a gift horse in the mouth and leave them as they are. If they were trash I'd say go for it, but those are so minty I wouldn't bother
just my $.02

--------------------
post Jul 28, 2012 - 12:32 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yeah, my door panels are pretty much trashed. I is jelly. redface.gif

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 28, 2012 - 12:32 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 28, 2012 - 2:46 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Ok, since you all say my door panels are in great shape, I'll leave it at that for now.

How about cleaning and preserving the vinyl? Anybody knows any good products to revitalise vinyl, perhaps to slightly paint it in black?
Lets say I'm thinking about painting the dashboard, but since it is wrapped in this leather-like vinyl, the surface is just to soft to be painted the normal way... Perhaps leather paint?

Just want make it blacker, to increase the black-white contrast.

--------------------
post Jul 28, 2012 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Meguiar's Motor Cycle Leather Conditioner is excellent for bringing back the color to vinyl and leather surfaces.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 3, 2012 - 1:12 PM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

Ok, yesterday I got a 7 gen airbag, so today I replaced my worn 6 gen wheel with leather 7 gen wheel.

Quite easy mod, started by removing the old airbag from the wheel, then I removed the wheel with a puller (can be forced by strength, but no need to if you got a puller).

Then I spent half an hour, studying and trying to get apart the steering spiral airbag connectors. As it didn't seem to come apart, I simply cut it and soldered the 7gen connector wires together. One other thing that gave me some problems is steering wheel adjustment. Needed to put everything together and back apart three times, after the test drive showed that steering wheel is mounted first a bit to the right, then to the left. Third time it was perfect and looks just amazing.

Here are the pics:
Old wheel

Airbags

Pulling off the steering wheel

Both wheels together

Steering spiral connectors

Soldered wires

And the finish

I love it!

Tomorrow I'll be spraying lower parts of the dashboard white

--------------------
post Aug 3, 2012 - 1:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Looks awesome! thumbsup.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 4, 2012 - 11:56 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

So today, as promised, I painted the lower plastic parts of the dashboard. White of course, same process as the door panels.

I like how it turned out, but I'll probably need to smooth it out and give it another coat of white in the near future.

Here is another ton of pics:
Stripped

Work in progress

And mounted back on

Here is what happened to the door handles, since I sprayed the rubber, need to fix this somehow.

--------------------
post Aug 15, 2012 - 9:30 AM
+Quote Post
Nihil

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 17, '12
From Slovenia
Currently Offline

So today I had a day off and I decided to sew a shift boot, since my mum's oldschool sewing machine just got back from repair shop and she lend it to me.

First I ****ed up just at the finish and had to start over... Good thing I got lots of this white faux leather, so I just cut a new one and as it turns out, I did a pretty good job for a first timer. Could be better thou, but I must say I expected worse biggrin.gif

Here are a few pics:

--------------------

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:54 AM