6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Investment gone wrong, Turning lemons into lemonade with a squeeze of sweat and tears
post Aug 15, 2018 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Now you have to buff and polish the rest of the car. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Aug 16, 2018 - 12:00 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

So here is what has happened since the picture of Cecilia with the new bumpers were painted. So I just have been getting the car ready for next month when I start to officially daily her.
I have fixed the annoying things that one doesn't want to do, but with nothing else started to fix.
My coolant housing the one that connects to your heater hose and upper radiator hose was leaking from the butt or bottom. My guess it cracked when putting in and taking out the transmission so it would leak from the housing even tho I replaced the 90-degree coolant hose to be safe, but lucky enough I kept a lot of extra part from other engine and swap it so it was an easy/messy fix
Then it was on to my valve cover that I just need to replace because it still had the original and who knows how long it has sat with it on and it was all hard and cracked when I took it off. After that, I made sure that my connections are all connected and vacuum lines. When I was trying to figure how to locate my ox sensor connector so it didn't hang ( I am pretty sure I have the bracket where the exhaust connects to the transmission which as the place for the connector but I couldn't remember and still can't remember how it went on.) So if anybody has a picture and can send it to me or post so I have an idea it would be nice because what I decide to do was tape it to my tranny dip stick. Also, this what happened before the relocation.

So I had to start to solder the wire back together. I also need a coolant temp sensor connector if anybody knows where I can get connectors other than a junkyard. I haven't looked really but will soon for extra parts but celicas of the 6 gen are hard to find in this part of the north-west.
Also, I almost forgot I broke my vacuum switch valve when I was swapping part from one housing to the other mad.gif Got a replacement already so it's all good. but here what I tried to do to fix it.

post Aug 16, 2018 - 12:04 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Aug 15, 2018 - 10:09 PM) *
Now you have to buff and polish the rest of the car. tongue.gif

For sure but I want to paint the rest of the car so not sure what comes first the polish or the paint job.
post Aug 16, 2018 - 2:59 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Any Toyota should have that pigtail.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 18, 2018 - 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Aug 16, 2018 - 3:59 PM) *
Any Toyota should have that pigtail.

Pigtail???
Blonde moment but not sure what you mean by that.
Also, I have been saving this for last for this is where I am currently at with my Cecilia I want on a trip in July and before I left I took off my dash to get it to reupholster. Long story short I am still waiting for it to be done. I am not sure that I want to tell you guys how it going to be but it's going to be really good I hope. here is a few pictures of the dash for edumacational purposes.

post Aug 18, 2018 - 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

pigtail = the connector with leading wires. There should be a tiny ass 5-digit number somewhere on the plug. Take that number and the plug to the dealership and they should be able to order you a new one.

This post has been edited by NgoFcukinWay: Aug 18, 2018 - 9:20 AM

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Aug 18, 2018 - 12:28 PM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Aug 18, 2018 - 9:20 AM) *
pigtail = the connector with leading wires. There should be a tiny ass 5-digit number somewhere on the plug. Take that number and the plug to the dealership and they should be able to order you a new one.

Ok will do, its beats having to go to the junkyard and maybe find a good connector
post Sep 19, 2018 - 11:59 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

So update have been dringi the car for a week and some days. Pretty good just weird driving with out a dashboard but you kinda get use it. Have ran into an issue that right waiting to see if i can make it act up again where the rpm will drop at idle when hot. I did some cleaning of the egr valve/swap it with a cleaner part from my parts stache (always good to have extra parts just in case). Before i do anything else i need to do the timing on her to rule that out. Also the reason i played with the egr was because i had code 71 now correct me if i am wrong but its for the egr system and following some of the diagnostic was to inspect and clean the egr valve if neccessary which i found a blockage so since then still have the issue but seems to almost not happen as often as before so i am not so worry about that at the moment.

Also have some news that i am pretty excited about went to the only junkyard that i know about near me to get parts my next project.

Before i forget i have some sneak peeks of the dash which is almos done.

Ill upload more later on pictures
post Sep 19, 2018 - 5:11 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

oh yeah... that dash looks pretty sexy. Hope you cut a hole for the passenger side airbag? laugh.gif
and does the red stitching only go around the driver's side?

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Sep 19, 2018 - 5:34 PM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Sep 19, 2018 - 6:11 PM) *
oh yeah... that dash looks pretty sexy. Hope you cut a hole for the passenger side airbag? laugh.gif
and does the red stitching only go around the driver's side?

Thanks
Hahaha yeah.....
No the red stitching is going to go on the passenger side too
i think the airbag is not coming out any more having some one do it for me so will find out but i dont think it will be an issue since i took the dash off with that airbag on so yeah....
I am thinking of getting endworks cluster upgrade to match.
post Sep 20, 2018 - 8:02 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Is that alcantara or leather?
post Sep 22, 2018 - 12:48 PM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Sep 20, 2018 - 9:02 PM) *
Is that alcantara or leather?

No its vinyl was thinking of alcantara but didnt feel like spending the money. But I like it how it turing out should pick it up today i hope so i am excited. I am thinking that maybe later going a bit more crazier on the seats
post Oct 10, 2018 - 11:11 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

Update time
Good news for me but really bad news for a normal person.
I have been driving the celi for a month now have found some issue:
here goes egr was clogged
cam seal was replaced
exhaust was fix

still, need to solve and fix these things
Oil light comes on when the car is warm at idle - I am thinking of replacing the oil pump on her and rechecking my idle before that.
burning oil so will be replacing valve seal guides and hopefully, that takes care of it as well will try to buy a Toyota PCV valve
Also, need new tires because the ones I have on suck when it comes to grip in the rain.

post Oct 11, 2018 - 12:21 AM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

Quick small update
So earlier on the thread, I mention that need some clips on my car replaced and went to Toyota, for the celi in the jy had those exact clips broken or missing. So I ask the part guy and to my horror, they discontinued those parts frown.gif frown.gif was wondering if anybody had those clips its for the alternator and oil sending unit PM if you are interested in either selling or maybe giving them away thanks for the help.
post Nov 1, 2018 - 12:15 PM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

So after some time, I am getting close to the home stretch of getting this car reliable
been either repeating replacing seal ie like oil pan my Achilles heel which keeps leaking going for my third attempt today with rtv but may just buy a rubber gasket and right stuff so it never leaks who knows
post Nov 1, 2018 - 3:22 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Have you taken a straight edge and made sure the pan isn't warped any? That and make sure the lip of the pan isn't puckered anywhere. I also want to say most Japanese cars had their oil pans sealed with some kind of RTV from the factory and didn't use a gasket. Something like Honda Bond or Toyota FIPG, typically. If you don't want to spend the obscene amount of money for those something like the Permatex Black is close enough, I think the regular series goes by optimum or optimal now since the Ultra series never wants to come off and is a bit overkill.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 1, 2018 - 4:57 PM
+Quote Post
igpx12

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 30, '14
From Cortland NY
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 1, 2018 - 3:22 PM) *
Have you taken a straight edge and made sure the pan isn't warped any? That and make sure the lip of the pan isn't puckered anywhere. I also want to say most Japanese cars had their oil pans sealed with some kind of RTV from the factory and didn't use a gasket. Something like Honda Bond or Toyota FIPG, typically. If you don't want to spend the obscene amount of money for those something like the Permatex Black is close enough, I think the regular series goes by optimum or optimal now since the Ultra series never wants to come off and is a bit overkill.

You could go the route of permatex, but my luck with that is like using window caulk, Spend the 20 for a squeeze tube of Toyota FIPG, I haven't had a pan gasket fail on me yet after using it. On a side note if you dont ever want it to leak just get it welded on lol, jk jk

This post has been edited by igpx12: Nov 1, 2018 - 4:58 PM

--------------------
1997 ST:Limitedly Green
This car is not about racing... This car is not about power or performance... It's purely about being cool.
post Nov 1, 2018 - 11:26 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I've never had a problem with Permatex, but I also always follow instructions to a T and make sure surfaces are clean and level. FWIW many swear Honda Bond craps all over the Toyota FIPG, so your results may vary.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 2, 2018 - 2:56 PM
+Quote Post
Yupe7

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 4, '18
From Oregon
Currently Offline

Yea i notice it had like rtv type material when i got the new engine but i usually go with the gasket and the right stuff never leaks with but expensive so i wanted to go with rtv this time
So @box i check the oil pan that i going to put on today (spare one i had) today fix it. It was a bit warp check with straight edge pretty smooth a few areas had some what of a gap not to worry about it. I am going to use the gasket to make up for it and right stuff. so hopefully dont have to tear down for the four time during the weekend. Also clean up the pan thats on her and check how bad it is thanks for the help.
post Nov 3, 2018 - 3:22 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Usually you can straighten a pan out with a hard level surface. Also the factory torque specs would be for RTV, using a gasket you should go a few ft lbs higher.

Another thing, make sure you tighten in a cross pattern starting in the center and working your way out after getting all the bolts in finger tight first.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:24 AM