> new Zupra!!!
post Jan 22, 2019 - 11:16 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

^lol, that's a marketing gimmick. that car's just gonna sit there and rot some more and draw people into the dealership.

whoever's dumb enough to pay that much for one is probably some rich collector that doesn't drive cars anyways and uses as a conversation piece at dinner parties. lol

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jan 22, 2019 - 11:35 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

i sense a lot of jealousy here.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 22, 2019 - 11:46 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

the M2 competition with 405 hp in a 6spd or maybe the dual clutch sells for 60k....

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Jan 23, 2019 - 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Engineering Explained YouTube video covering the engine.
post Jan 24, 2019 - 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

For whatever reason, I can't stand that guy....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 24, 2019 - 11:29 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

He talks like Chuckee2009 or whatever, also super annoying to listen to.

--------------------
post Jan 25, 2019 - 11:06 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

You know, I can actually stomach Chuckee2009 for his shorter videos. I just refuse to click on anything that EE puts out. Maybe I just know too many engineers like him, but even in the B is for Build SEMA video, when they're all hanging out drinking, I couldn't stand him.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 26, 2019 - 10:05 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

And the jealousy goes on

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 28, 2019 - 11:03 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

Rev up your BMW Toyota!!!! Jordan loves Scotty...

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jan 28, 2019 - 11:57 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

BEEmeryota..... bada booom

--------------------

post Feb 4, 2019 - 1:53 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Interesting.

https://youtu.be/_jbyzmtgU_0

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 4, 2019 - 3:25 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

all the video confirmed what i knew, its a rebadged bmw, toyota supervised, but bmw did all the work,

This new supra is a Geo/ChevyNova/Saab/Cavalier.

sad....

--------------------

post Feb 4, 2019 - 1:38 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Did we watch the same video? laugh.gif Nothing in the video is confirmed as fact but it all aligns with what I’ve read from other sources with just a bit more detail. Essentially BMW built the B58, Toyota was dissatisfied with it and revised it. I’m certain that it’s still largely BMW but they wouldn’t allow various components to go into production. It’s been common knowledge for a while that Toyota did their own suspension and engine tuning, so don’t expect the ECU reflashes that BMW owners get to enjoy but Toyota have been saying all along that this car is more Toyota than the “experts” on Facebook say it is. This car is more Toyota than the 86 is. laugh.gif Still more BMW in it than we’d all like (timing at the back of the engine, really?) but we all know that the most conservative car company in the world isn’t going to risk their reputation of reliability over a low production sports car so it’ll be interesting to see what all they’ve changed. Crossing our fingers for replacing the plastic in the cooling system.

Let’s face it, we all want new Toyota sports cars. Toyota has no interest in building sports cars at all so without other manufacturers, we get nothing and if this car is the same sales flop that the mkIV was, we’ll likely never get another sports car for a long time, never mind one actually engineered by Toyota so we all need this car to be a success. I’m not saying I’ll be first in line to buy one but I’m not totally upset by the car either. Everyone is quick to forget that the Supra was always competition for the Nissan Z cars, never the GTR. Toyota was never ever ever going to give us anything even remotely comparable to a GTR or C7 Corvette, especially not something wearing a Toyota badge. This car was always going to slated under the RC-F so it’s surprising that it does the 0-60 sprint quicker than the RC-F. Some people like to point out that the RC-F Or LC500 should have been the new Supra but the thing is, the RC-F is a nice GT car, and the LC500 is just a pretty coupe and kind of awful as a sports car. Either one would require a ton of work to be up to the job that the new Supra does so I can see where Toyota chose to engineer the car alongside BMW rather than try to reengineer one of the Lexus platforms. There’s no doubt that it will be fun to drive, we just have to wait and see how reliable the car is.

Let’s be honest, if this car was badged as anything other than a Supra, everyone would be losing their minds over it. If the mkIV was re-released today exactly as it was in 1993 like everyone wants, it would be the laughingstock of the sports car world.

Didn’t mean to make this post so lengthy. laugh.gif

TL;DR, Toyota was not impressed with the B58 and reengineered parts of it, and we all need this car to not suck.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 4, 2019 - 8:42 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Burros & chariots are fairly reliable.
post Feb 4, 2019 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
Currently Offline

Finding out the differences of the engine will be interesting.
post Feb 5, 2019 - 8:15 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

If I heard correctly in that video, the engines will be the same. Toyota just subjected the new designed BMW engine to the rigors of the Toyota durability validation process.

So it should be at least as reliable as a toyota engineered engine.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Feb 5, 2019 - 8:16 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Feb 24, 2019 - 6:27 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Feb 5, 2019 - 8:15 AM) *
If I heard correctly in that video, the engines will be the same. Toyota just subjected the new designed BMW engine to the rigors of the Toyota durability validation process.

So it should be at least as reliable as a toyota engineered engine.

That's what I got out of it as well. It's a BMW engine, re-engineered by Toyota to be up to their standards. My question is, is BMW using the Toyota-engineered engine in their other cars or will it strictly be the Z4 that gets the Toyota variant? Or will BMW be using that variant at all? It looks like there's still a lot of plastic bits all around the engine which kind of sucks, since we all know the plastic parts of the BMW cooling systems suck. It seems odd that Toyota would test every bolt and rivet in the B58 and revise as necessary then still leave the plastic in the cooling system.

Another concern- Toyota did their own suspension tuning and designed their own interior, yet they raided the BMW parts bin for everything. Was any of that revised to meet Toyota's standards? I have a feeling only the engine was re-engineered but I'm left questioning to what extent.

Toyota also did their own engine tuning. So does that mean that we will be getting a Toyota ECU that can't be reflashed like BMW ECU's or will it have a BMW ECU that Toyota tuned? In other words, will it be easy to get an ECU reflash for more power or will we be stuck going with standalones?

These are all things that I think about while not being able to afford one at all. I might be interested in picking one up several years from now after it's known how they handle and how reliable they are but in the meantime I'll stick to classic Toyotas that cost me a fortune.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 4, 2019 - 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Toyota also closed the block for strength.

From a cost standpoint, it was cheaper to raid the BMW bin and tweak it as they go. If they went from complete scratch for EVERYTHING, you're probably looking at a car with a $100K price tag. New NSX isn't doing all that great with that 6-figure tag and that was built basically from scratch. R35 GT-R is at the 6-figure mark now as well.

I'm gonna assume the ECU is gonna be BMW with some Toyota touches.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Mar 8, 2019 - 10:39 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

meh....

Ill drive this in the mean time...

--------------------

post Mar 8, 2019 - 10:53 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Nice! RHD MKIII

I like it!

--------------------
~bloodMoney

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:06 AM